Author Topic: 31 states allow rapists to sue for paternity, do feminists even care?  (Read 497 times)

rangerrebew

31 States Allow Rapists to Sue For Paternity: Do Feminists Care?

Posted By Mark Horne on Jan 11, 2014 | 106 Comments
pyper    

557Share   7   5Share   732Share   66Tweet   10Email

We can all remember all the outrage expressed toward Todd Akin when he spoke of “legitimate rape” and abortion. It gave a lot of RINOs a chance to torpedo his campaign and he lost his bid for the senate. While Akin should not have spoken as he did, it is interesting that, in the midst of all the liberal and feminist outrage, no one mentioned the fact that, in 31 states, rapists can sue for paternity rights, including custody.

I was informed of that fact by a post at Life News yesterday, which refers to a documentary that is being made called “31 States.”

31 States is the story of women across America who have been raped, conceived from that rape, gave birth and then had to fight their rapist in court for custody of their rape conceived child.

31 States is a feature length documentary targeted for theatrical release in summer 2014. In addition to the personal stories, this film explores the lack of legal protection afforded to these women in 31 States.

Over the next six months we are traveling across America interviewing survivors, legislators, law enforcement officials and experts on this relevant social issue.

Our hope is that by sharing these stories we empower you, the public, to create real change.

It is estimated that there are between 25,000 and 32,000 rape-related pregnancies annually in the United States. – (HR 2772)

The site features a video about Pyper who, at the age of fourteen, was raped by an ex-soldier. Now, as a teen mother with a toddler, the father is attempting to gain custody. I tried and failed to embed the video. But please watch it.

What I find most shocking is not the rapist’s behavior but the people around Pyper who had accused her of bringing a monster into the world. Others have insisted that, if she had “really” been raped, she would have sought an abortion.

It sounds as if they are accusing her of not having been raped “legitimately.” I find that hard to understand since we’re talking about a fourteen-year-old girl and a much older male.

You would think that this legal situation would outrage feminists, but I doubt there will be any Wendy-Davis-level rallying in these states. Perhaps I’m being cynical but I think lobbying for a law that gives the birth mother sole custody in the case of a rape comes to close to acknowledging that an abortion following a rape is the killing of a baby. Furthermore, if there is always the chance the father can get involved in the victim’s life, that will give “counselors” a new way to persuade rape victims to have an abortion.

Read more at http://politicaloutcast.com/2014/01/31-states-allow-rapists-sue-paternity-feminists-care/#OVeGslvLzYjffpfp.99