Author Topic: 10 Vegetables & Herbs You Can Eat Once and Regrow Forever  (Read 1341 times)

Offline DCPatriot

10 Vegetables & Herbs You Can Eat Once and Regrow Forever
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
10 Vegetables & Herbs You Can Eat Once and Regrow Forever

There are some ingredients I cook with so often I can never buy too many of them, and most of them are produce. Onions, garlic and fresh herbs are staples in a lot of dishes, and they may be inexpensive, but when you use them on a daily basis it can add up.

Some foods are easy to regrow at home from leftover scraps, and some of them can even be grown right on your kitchen counter. Here are 10 vegetables and herbs you can buy once and regrow forever.

#1. Garlic

When garlic starts to sprout, the little green shoots are too bitter to cook with. Rather than throwing away sprouted cloves, you can put them in a glass with a little water and grow garlic sprouts. The sprouts have a much milder flavor than garlic cloves and are great in salads, pasta and as a garnish.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-vegetables-herbs-you-can-eat-once-and-regrow-forever-0150343/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"If you want to change the world, go home and love your family".    ...Mother Teresa

"It's not the mountain before you, but the pebble in your shoe"      ....or something like that

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: 10 Vegetables & Herbs You Can Eat Once and Regrow Forever
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
A very prestigious US college is doing a study on my husbands family for longevity. They all die in their 90's. They immigrated many years ago and have a family farm that they butcher their own meats and grow their own food. Self-sufficient 100%. My FIL grew a special type of garlic he swears by. Eat one clove a day keeps the doctor away.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
I was browsing and ran across this old article that I had missed before and found it really interesting!  I garden, and I'm always on the lookout for something new.  I love the idea of perpetuating garlic and onions - and even lettuce - and it's frugal too!  I'm going to try these tips. 

One of my gardening passions is heirloom tomatoes.  The different colors, shapes and flavors just blow your mind if you've only eaten the commercially grown tomatoes.  I took a picture yesterday of some of the small heirlooms I'm growing - the little red ones are Matt's Wild Cherry (sweet as candy), yellow pear tomatoes and the dark round ones are Black Cherry - also very sweet.  I think the larger purplish one is a Black Krim.     

Pertaining to the article, the great thing about these tomatoes is that you can just spoon out the seeds of the best tasting and looking tomato that you like - and smear those seeds on a paper towel and let them dry.  I use a ball-point pen to write the name of the tomato variety on the paper towel.  Once they've dried completely, I put them in a freezer zip lock bag and save for next February, when I'll plant those seeds to be ready to put out in the garden in May.  The heirloom varieties are not hybrids, so the new plants you grow will be consistent with the tomato you ate last summer. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
I was browsing and ran across this old article that I had missed before and found it really interesting!  I garden, and I'm always on the lookout for something new.  I love the idea of perpetuating garlic and onions - and even lettuce - and it's frugal too!  I'm going to try these tips. 

One of my gardening passions is heirloom tomatoes.  The different colors, shapes and flavors just blow your mind if you've only eaten the commercially grown tomatoes.  I took a picture yesterday of some of the small heirlooms I'm growing - the little red ones are Matt's Wild Cherry (sweet as candy), yellow pear tomatoes and the dark round ones are Black Cherry - also very sweet.  I think the larger purplish one is a Black Krim.     

Pertaining to the article, the great thing about these tomatoes is that you can just spoon out the seeds of the best tasting and looking tomato that you like - and smear those seeds on a paper towel and let them dry.  I use a ball-point pen to write the name of the tomato variety on the paper towel.  Once they've dried completely, I put them in a freezer zip lock bag and save for next February, when I'll plant those seeds to be ready to put out in the garden in May.  The heirloom varieties are not hybrids, so the new plants you grow will be consistent with the tomato you ate last summer. 

very interesting

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Adulthood is like a meal. From the food's PoV.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
I'm trying to find my old seed catalog for perennial onions. They are a bit like a cross between chives and scallions. Once one gets full size, it sends out side shoots. They grow into full size plants too. I simply can not remember the variety name.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 01:34:52 AM »
I'm trying to find my old seed catalog for perennial onions. They are a bit like a cross between chives and scallions. Once one gets full size, it sends out side shoots. They grow into full size plants too. I simply can not remember the variety name.
We used to call those "winter onions". They spread like crazy, and unfortunately, we removed them and didn't replant them. Now I wish we still had them...live and learn.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!

And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Nehemiah 4:14 (KJV)

If we can't talk about that guy, how are we going to keep from being ruled by someone much like him?

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
The first time I have ever had real fresh garlic was a couple of years ago. Neighbor had a plant and gave me some.....Wow what a difference from store bought.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »
Bookmark
The system of electing is by winning the electoral college, chances are President Elect Trump could have won the popular vote as well if he devoted time to California and New York and not places like Wisconsin and New Hampshire.

---

I chose to fight terrorism and open borders with my vote.

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
Two more for the plant and forget list:

Ginger and Horseradish.

Sure, they aren't veggies per se, but you'll be glad to have them. Ginger, apart from having the most wonderful taste, is good for everything from colds to arthritis. Horseradish is a nice source of heat in a dish if you don't have pepper or mustard kicking around.

Both are easy to grow, indeed horseradish will make a determined bid to take over the county if you don't restrain it a bit. Ginger needs a little help with overwintering in all but the mildest climates, but a thick layer of straw is enough to keep it viable.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Another thing to consider, many vegies have editable leaves.  For example brussle sprouts can provide leaves that are trimmed prior to harvesting the sprouts. 

Online RoosGirl

• Florida Scrub real soap
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »

I know this is an old post, but are you talking about Walking Onions?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2296/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FloridaScrub  Handmade liquid soaps, shampoos and conditioners.  Mention TBR in the order comments and 10% of my profits from your order will be donated to TBR.

Truth has to be repeated constantly, because Error also is being preached all the time, and not just by a few, but by the multitude. In the Press and Encyclopaedias, in Schools and Universities, everywhere Error holds sway, feeling happy and comfortable in the knowledge of having Majority on its side.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:40:57 AM »
Those are the ones!  :laugh:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
Those are the ones!  :laugh:

Grow those from some bulbs my step-grandfather gave to me years ago. Only two varieties I've ever seen are Egyptian and Catawissa. They are the best tasting onions I've every had and very useful.
And a country boy will survive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf