Author Topic: Why I Bought A House In Detroit For $500  (Read 356 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Why I Bought A House In Detroit For $500
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Why I Bought A House In Detroit For $500
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
It has long bothered me that Detroit is basically being torn down. Some of the most beautiful pre WWII architecture in the nation is (was) represented in Detroit.  One of my favorite TV programs on HGTV is the series Rehab Addict.  She is originally from Detroit and this season she returned to her roots to rehab an old home in Detroit, built in 1929 and badly damaged when a house next door burned down.  She tore down the burned down house, turned the land into part of the lot for the house she is rehabbing, landscapped and put in appropriate fencing - totally changing the entire appearance of this part of the block the home stands on. 

The inside was badly damaged from the heat - but she is slowly restoring it to former glory - was able to save most of the hardwood flooring- it had the most incredible ceilings and windows which she had saved and beautiful coved work around the rooms.  A lot of people from the neighborhood actually volunteered to help clear the lots, paint, etc... the people who remain in at least parts of Detroit love what is left and want to see it restored. I truly hope they are successful, it would be a crime to destroy any more of the beautiful old homes than absolutely necessary.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
I like and watch this show too...one of the few things I watch on television

Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
I like and watch this show too...one of the few things I watch on television

She is amazing.  I loved her comment the other night scrubbing out the porcelain tub - "people wonder why my arms are so toned - this is why."  I crack up at her dumpster diving - that was my husband... when we lived in our townhouse in Irvine he'd find all these "treasures" people would dump from bicycles to a beautiful wrought iron book case with the glass totally intact... he always drug them home.. Fixed up the bikes and gave to kids who needed them and for a while we used the wrought iron thing to hold colorful flowers on the patio and then a friend needed something like it and he gave it away...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
I have no idea about the authors politics.

Don't care.

The writer is a true American, as I understand the term. Just gets on with it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
I have no idea about the authors politics.

Don't care.

The writer is a true American, as I understand the term. Just gets on with it.
A couple of my more urbane peers shared this article the other day. One is looking into it himself.

It's not just the cities: every year there is a tax auction for abandoned properties ranging from vacant plots of urban prairie to  houses. Of course, given the tax rates around where I live there is a wider selection, but if one is into construction they can pick up some real steals.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf