Author Topic: McAuliffe Offers Olive Branch to GOP in Inauguration Speech  (Read 3282 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McAuliffe Offers Olive Branch to GOP in Inauguration Speech
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/terry-mcauliffe-republicans-reach-out/2014/01/11/id/546573

Terry McAuliffe is sworn in as Virginia's governor by Supreme Court Chief Justice Cynthia Kinser as McAuliffe's wife Dorothy witnesses, in Richmond, Va., on Jan. 11. (Landov)4.

Saturday, 11 Jan 2014 06:15 PM

By Todd Beamon

New Virginia Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe reached out to Republicans Saturday in an inauguration speech marked with conciliatory overtones.

“The impediments to consensus are well known: ideology, personal political ambition, partisanship or score-settling,” McAuliffe, 56, said after he was sworn in as the commonwealth's 72nd chief executive. “No one who has served as an elected official has looked back and wished they had been more rigid, more ideological or more partisan.

"Like four years ago, the skeptics are predicting divided government driven to gridlock by partisanship,” he added. “Virginia, together, we will prove them wrong again.”

Republicans have a firm hold on the Virginia House of Delegates, while the outcome of two special elections will determine control of the Senate.

In addition, McAuliffe beat Republican Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli by only 2.5 percent in a bitter campaign in which Cuccinelli gained ground in the final weeks by tying the former Democratic National Committee chairman to Obamacare.

As longtime supporters former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton looked on, the new governor urged progress through consensus — vowing that political gridlock would not harm his tenure.

McAuliffe praised outgoing Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell and Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling — and he even quoted Thomas Jefferson, who designed the state Capitol where McAuliffe was sworn-in on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

"Common ground doesn't move towards us, we move towards it," he said.

Throughout his speech, McAuliffe sought to assure Republicans that he would work with them to lead a commonwealth that would expand economic opportunity while maintaining a reputation for strong fiscal management.

"Identifying the roadblocks is not a challenge," he said. "What is hard is having the humility to admit that each of us has allowed these impediments to influence our decisions.

"And even more challenging is having the foresight to put them aside for the greater good."

McAuliffe complimented McDonnell for reaching a bipartisan deal on a sweeping transportation package last year, but — in an obvious reference to the ethical inquiries that have plagued his predecessor — said that he would seek ethics reform.

McAuliffe said that he would ask the General Assembly to "enact the strongest possible new ethics rules to hold all Virginia elected officials to the highest of standards.

"We must also recognize that Virginians have placed great trust in us and expect transparency, and decision-making that avoids improper conflicts," he said.

McDonnell continues to face state and federal investigations into thousands of dollars in gifts and loans he and his family received from Jonnie Williams, the former CEO of dietary supplement maker Star Scientific Inc.

In his first official act, McAuliffe signed an executive order placing a $100 limit on gifts to executive branch members and their families — including himself and wife Dorothy and their five children.

The order also created an Executive Branch Ethics Commission to ensure compliance.

After the speech, Hillary Clinton told reporters that she was "very moved" by McAuliffe's speech.

She called his election "a great personal achievement," adding that "he is certainly relishing the moment."

Two other Democrats also were sworn into office on Saturday: Ralph Northam as lieutenant governor and Mark Herring as attorney general — making Virginia's top five officials Democratic since 1969, Politico reports.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: McAuliffe Offers Olive Branch to GOP in Inauguration Speech
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:46:00 pm »
Dark day in Virginia.  Dark day.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:51 pm »
The dems used dirty tricks with this as well. They financed a third party guy and the guy lied and said he was a libertarian. Why doesn't someone with money to throw around- finance someone to challenge Hillary? Fight fire with fire.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »
The GOP lost this winnable election, because their candidate was too extreme for his electorate.

In 2009 GOP McDonnell got 58.6% and easily won.

In 2013 GOP Cuccinelli got 45.5% and lost.

Here is what a leftist source said in analyzing the race:

(you may not like or agree with them, but they hit the nail on the head)

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/11/05/2888221/cuccinelli-defeat-wing-record/

Again, opposing abortion for rape cases, is too far for most electorates, and makes the candidate an extremist.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:01 pm »
Re:The Think Progress article. I don't agree with anything that web site says, you're correct on that.

The article is not accurate by any means and most certainly didn't hit the nail on the head.

McAuliffe won because of this...

3rd party candidate funded by Obama donor tips Va. governor’s race to Dems

Democrat Terry McAuliffe won the Virginia governor’s race on Tuesday by a razor thin margin, with a big assist from a 3rd party candidate that reports say was funded by a major Obama donor.

With nearly all precincts reporting, McAuliffe was ahead with just 48 percent of the vote, to Republican Ken Cuccinelli’s 45 percent, Fox News reported.

Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis garnered 6.7 percent of the vote, or just over 130,000 votes.

Heavily outspent and trailing in the polls for much of the race, Cuccinelli made it surprisingly close, according to Fox News. Exit polls show the disastrous launch of Obamacare was very much a factor, with voters opposed to the health care law breaking big in favor of Cuccinelli.

“Despite being outspent by an unprecedented $15 million, this race came down to the wire because of ObamaCare,” Cuccinelli said in his concession speech. “That message will go out to the entire country tonight.”

As close as the race was, a report out Tuesday by The Blaze indicates that there were shenanigans at play:

“A major Democratic Party benefactor and Obama campaign bundler helped pay for professional petition circulators responsible for getting Virginia Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Robert C. Sarvis on the ballot.”

According to the report, campaign finance records show that the Libertarian Booster PAC made the largest independent contribution to Sarvis’ campaign.

The Blaze identified Austin, Texas, software billionaire Joe Liemandt as the Libertarian Booster PAC’s major benefactor. He also happens to be a top bundler for President Barack Obama.

How the Republican Party missed this is surprising, to say the least.

“This was clearly a very winnable race, in spite of what people say about conservatives or the government shutdown,”
Breitbart’s Mike Flynn wrote following Tuesday’s election.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/11/06/3rd-party-candidate-funded-by-obama-donor-tips-va-governors-race-to-dems-86639
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:23:19 pm »
Rapunzel, is that you? Excuses and spin, spin and excuses.

Cuccinelli got 13.1%  LESS than McDonnell. The libertarian got 6.5%.

The democrat and libertarian got 13% MORE than the previous election.

People did not like Cuccinelli's policy positions, plain and simple, so they voted for the democrat or the libertarian.

As an example of Cuccinelli's "too far" positions, is his opposition to abortions in cases of rape.

Apparently some in the far right can't grasp that Jim Demint-like candidates can't win in Massachusetts or New Jersey, but that Scott Brown and Chris Christie can.

The range of places which will elect such far right candidates has narrowed, and will continue to narrow.

So just keep denying, spinning, making excuses so it blots out the truth and facts; namely the appeal of far right positions and candidates is a losing plan.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:12 pm »
Rapunzel, is that you? Excuses and spin, spin and excuses.

We get that you hate conservatives and think you're smarter than anyone here, but stop the snark at other posters.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
We get that you hate conservatives and think you're smarter than anyone here, but stop the snark at other posters.
Not right. I am a conservative, but not of the narrow definition which you currently use.

But fortunately you are not the sole source for defining conservatism.

BTW are you scolding me in your role as Moderator?

Does your role as Moderator give you the right to state "you hate conservatives," with impunity?

Is that a good example for other moderators, and posters in general?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:10:27 pm »
Not right. I am a conservative, but not of the narrow definition which you currently use.

Does your role as Moderator give you the right to state "you hate conservatives," with impunity?

Those are damned good questions, T_S.

:shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:32 pm »

I posted as ME.  Not as Mod.  You continue to push the same stale Akins anti tea party conservative meme on thread after thread as if he represents any of us here or the tea party in general and its gotten really old.  In fact you used my name on a thread I was not even on to put down gazoo and to make a dig at me...so don't  cry foul over getting the reaction you obviously wanted in the first place. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »

Those are damned good questions, T_S.

:shrug:

Stay out of it DC.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:06 pm »
Stay out of it DC.

Like hell I will.

I have just as much right to post in here as you or anybody else.

You have no business being a moderator.  None. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:00 pm »
Like hell I will.

I have just as much right to post in here as you or anybody else.

You have no business being a moderator.  None.

I didn't post as a mod... if you bothered to read this thread you'd see I hadn't posted on it but your friend used it to go after me... 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »

I didn't post as a mod... if you bothered to read this thread you'd see I hadn't posted on it but your friend used it to go after me...

I'm not limiting this thread as the source of my opinion on the matter.

You're one of my favorite posters Rap, but........   :chairbang:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »
I'm not limiting this thread as the source of my opinion on the matter.

You're one of my favorite posters Rap, but........   :chairbang:

When someone makes a personal attack on me... I will not bite my tongue.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »

Well, golly!

Doesn't that work for some of us who find ourselves continuously being pigen-holed?   And in posts from a person who happens to be a Moderator?

It's a two-way street, Rap.   :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 07:30:16 pm »

How does it feel? You repeatedly take shots at me, so I gave you back a taste.

I have bit my tongue many times, when you took shots at me.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »
Well, golly!

Doesn't that work for some of us who find ourselves continuously being pigen-holed?   And in posts from a person who happens to be a Moderator?

It's a two-way street, Rap.   :beer:

If anyone moderates here we do it as MOD... those are far and few between. 
If I have something to say about or to you DC I say it to your face and as me, not as a mod.  If you think it's appropriate to make a personal attack on a mod and expect they will just take it because they also happen to be a mod you're wrong.  A personal attack is still a personal attack and that post was done deliberately to attack me on a thread I was not even posting on.  You're going after the wrong person here!!!!!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »
How does it feel? You repeatedly take shots at me, so I gave you back a taste.

I have bit my tongue many times, when you took shots at me.

I talk to you on threads you're actually on.  You never agree and that's okay, but I never call you out by names on threads you're not a poster on.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »
  If anyone moderates here we do it as MOD... those are far and few between. 
If I have something to say about or to you DC I say it to your face and as me, not as a mod.  If you think it's appropriate to make a personal attack on a mod and expect they will just take it because they also happen to be a mod you're wrong.  A personal attack is still a personal attack and that post was done deliberately to attack me on a thread I was not even posting on.  You're going after the wrong person here!!!!!

It was a coincidence that the thread I was on....immediately preceding this one...was where Luis was attempting to explain that triangle.   

So that explains my tack....and tact here, I hope.

You were right in the middle of it over there.

And for the record, what started THAT confrontation was Lipstick going after Luis again.   For no logical reason except to throw a shot. 

....and you joined in as you're apt to do.   :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »
What I think is forgotten here is that perhaps once in awhile, posters just agree to disagree and move on.   

That would quell a lot of the tension, IMO. 

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »
The GOP lost this winnable election, because their candidate was too extreme for his electorate.

In 2009 GOP McDonnell got 58.6% and easily won.

In 2013 GOP Cuccinelli got 45.5% and lost.

Here is what a leftist source said in analyzing the race:

(you may not like or agree with them, but they hit the nail on the head)

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/11/05/2888221/cuccinelli-defeat-wing-record/

Again, opposing abortion for rape cases, is too far for most electorates, and makes the candidate an extremist.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  Cuccinelli lost by a mere 2.5 percentage points because the GOP establishment refused to support him.  The RNC gave Cuccinelli a paltry $85,098, but gave McDonnell $2,253,500.  The Republican Party of Virginia gave McDonnell $2,704,348, but gave Cuccinelli only approximately $850,000.  Cuccinelli's worst enemies were often Republicans.  There was no shortage of prominent RINOs  crossing the aisle to endorse leftist McAuliffe, including Boyd Marcus, former chief of staff for Eric Cantor, Dwight Schar, former RNC finance chairman, Judy Ford Wason, a GOP strategist who worked for MCDonnell; former state senate president pro tempore John Chichester; state senator Russ Potts; and former House of Delegates members Vince Callahan, Katherine Waddell, and Jim Dillard.  Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, sore loser that he was, petulantly refused to endorse Cuccinelli and worked hard against him.

This is only a case of the left wing of the GOP backstabbing a true Conservative. Next time please do your homework before regurgitating such bile.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
When moderators post using their sign-on nicks they post as members...when you see Mod1 or Mod2 or even me :silly:...then the moderator has been awakened...lol
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »
What I think is forgotten here is that perhaps once in awhile, posters just agree to disagree and move on.   

That would quell a lot of the tension, IMO.

Excellent advice and I would like to see that too....if only....it was taken
Support the USO

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 08:05:06 pm »
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  Cuccinelli lost by a mere 2.5 percentage points because the GOP establishment refused to support him.  The RNC gave Cuccinelli a paltry $85,098, but gave McDonnell $2,253,500.  The Republican Party of Virginia gave McDonnell $2,704,348, but gave Cuccinelli only approximately $850,000.  Cuccinelli's worst enemies were often Republicans.  There was no shortage of prominent RINOs  crossing the aisle to endorse leftist McAuliffe, including Boyd Marcus, former chief of staff for Eric Cantor, Dwight Schar, former RNC finance chairman, Judy Ford Wason, a GOP strategist who worked for MCDonnell; former state senate president pro tempore John Chichester; state senator Russ Potts; and former House of Delegates members Vince Callahan, Katherine Waddell, and Jim Dillard.  Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, sore loser that he was, petulantly refused to endorse Cuccinelli and worked hard against him.

This is only a case of the left wing of the GOP backstabbing a true Conservative. Next time please do your homework before regurgitating such bile.

All good examples, here, MBB...but it doesn't necessarily translate into the reason Cuccinelli lost.

People still have to physically look at where they are and how things are compared to when a Republican was in control.   And then physically get off their ass and vote.

Just because they didn't see commercials of Cucinnelli defending his position(s) as much as McAuliffe shouldn't have made somebody suddenly love a liberal Democrat...tied to the Clintons for chrissakes.