Author Topic: Woman who 'bought rare $100,000 Renoir for $7 at flea market' must hand it BACK to Baltimore Museum where it was stolen more than 60 YEARS ago  (Read 536 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537513/Woman-claims-bought-rare-Renoir-painting-flea-market-7-forced-surrender-museum-proves-stolen-60-years-ago.html

The story began with one of those improbable tales of an artistic masterpiece uncovered at a flea market.

It concluded Friday, the painting still a masterpiece but the story about the flea market all the more improbable.

A federal judge has awarded ownership of a disputed Renoir painting to a Baltimore museum, citing 'overwhelming evidence' that the painting had been stolen from the museum more than 60 years ago.

The judge's decision rejected the claims of a Virginia woman, Marcia 'Martha' Fuqua, who maintained that she bought the painting at a flea market for $7, even as others, including her own brother, disputed her story.

Online mountaineer

The woman said she did not know the painting was a Renoir when she bought it, even though it was held in a frame with a 'RENOIR' panel attached.
Ohhh, that Renoir. I thought it was by Bob Ross Renoir, the guy who did a painting class on TV.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Ohhh, that Renoir. I thought it was by Bob Ross Renoir, the guy who did a painting class on TV.

I LOVED him!!  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.