Author Topic: Woman who 'bought rare $100,000 Renoir for $7 at flea market' must hand it BACK to Baltimore Museum where it was stolen more than 60 YEARS ago  (Read 270 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537513/Woman-claims-bought-rare-Renoir-painting-flea-market-7-forced-surrender-museum-proves-stolen-60-years-ago.html

The story began with one of those improbable tales of an artistic masterpiece uncovered at a flea market.

It concluded Friday, the painting still a masterpiece but the story about the flea market all the more improbable.

A federal judge has awarded ownership of a disputed Renoir painting to a Baltimore museum, citing 'overwhelming evidence' that the painting had been stolen from the museum more than 60 years ago.

The judge's decision rejected the claims of a Virginia woman, Marcia 'Martha' Fuqua, who maintained that she bought the painting at a flea market for $7, even as others, including her own brother, disputed her story.

Online mountaineer

The woman said she did not know the painting was a Renoir when she bought it, even though it was held in a frame with a 'RENOIR' panel attached.
Ohhh, that Renoir. I thought it was by Bob Ross Renoir, the guy who did a painting class on TV.
The skeptic is never for real. There he stands, cocktail in hand, left arm draped languorously on one end of the mantelpiece, telling you that he can't be sure of anything, not even of his own existence. I'll give you my secret method of demolishing universal skepticism in four words. Whisper to him: "Your fly is open." If he thinks knowledge is so all-fired impossible, why does he always look? — James Sire (from, The Universe Next Door)

Online musiclady

Ohhh, that Renoir. I thought it was by Bob Ross Renoir, the guy who did a painting class on TV.

I LOVED him!!  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf