Author Topic: Rick Santorum warns fellow Republicans: ‘We live in a bubble’  (Read 922 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Meh - some folk here like him. Can't be doing with him, meself.

Statesman.com: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/rick-santorum-warns-fellow-republicans-we-live-in-/nchPB/

Republicans “live in a bubble,” former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum told the Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Policy Orientation for the Texas Legislature Thursday, and are detached from the pop culture and concerns of the average Americans whose allegiance they need to prevail nationally.

“We live in a bubble. We don’t realize what’s going on,” said the once and perhaps future presidential candidate who is now head of a movie studio based in Flower Mound that produces Christian entertainment. “How many of you watch prime time network television? I suspect none of you.”

He told his audience, which will also be hearing Thursday from Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, that they also tend assume everyone shares their drive.

“Republicans by and large are Type A personalities who want to climb to the top of the ladder, ” said Santorum. But, “a lot of people want to be good simple folks, go to work, 9 to 5.”

The consequence: “No one’s talking to the job holder — not the job creator. We don’t want to talk to people who want to be with us.”

He said it is a failure of empathy that has led Republicans to spend too much time talking negatively — “cut this, cut that” — focused on facts and figures, pie charts and bar graphs, while Democrats talk more compellingly in stories and images that are the way most people receive information.

“Our programs are right, our message stinks,” said Santorum.

More at link.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Rick Santorum warns fellow Republicans: ‘We live in a bubble’
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »
Never liked him. Polls show conservatives still rule. Add the liberatarians and we win. That's the ticket, getting under the same tent with Libertarians. If the tea party fights with the GOP and loses we all lose. Boehner needs to be voted out and the GOP will have no choice to follow.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:14:09 am »
Santorum is like Mike Huckabee a big spending social conservative.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:24 am »
He told his audience, which will also be hearing Thursday from Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, that they also tend assume everyone shares their drive.

“Republicans by and large are Type A personalities who want to climb to the top of the ladder, ” said Santorum. But, “a lot of people want to be good simple folks, go to work, 9 to 5.”

The consequence: “No one’s talking to the job holder — not the job creator. We don’t want to talk to people who want to be with us.”

He said it is a failure of empathy that has led Republicans to spend too much time talking negatively — “cut this, cut that” — focused on facts and figures, pie charts and bar graphs, while Democrats talk more compellingly in stories and images that are the way most people receive information.

Santorum insults his audience by saying we don't represent America, and why is he talking about this now?  While the Congress is preparing to give free money to slackers who haven't had a job in 2 years?  Not 9 to 5ers.  Does he wants me to empathize with a bunch of parasites?

/sarcasm

I could easily see President Santorum.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:16:24 am »
I could easily see President Santorum.

That thought worries me.

Don't get me wrong - he seems a decent man (man in both senses of the word). But to put him in the top slot would be a mistake. That doesn't need a decent man. Jimmy Carter is a decent man. Look how well he fared. The rest of the recent and much more successful presidents have been hard nosed pragmatists.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:43 am »
That thought worries me.

Don't get me wrong - he seems a decent man (man in both senses of the word). But to put him in the top slot would be a mistake. That doesn't need a decent man. Jimmy Carter is a decent man. Look how well he fared. The rest of the recent and much more successful presidents have been hard nosed pragmatists.

In 2016 I will have a choice of the GOP nominee and the rat nominee.  One of those 2 people will be the next President.  It is almost a certainty that whoever the GOP picks will be the lesser of 2 evils.  I'm all about the lesser of 2 evils.  Heart attack or stub my toe...sorry toe.  I don't understand why when people are given a choice, the less evil choice is hard.  I'm just stupid that way.

Some times a decent man is the best you can get.  You fight the battle with the army you have.  I would love to believe my President was a decent man.  It maybe there are no decent men in the halls of power.  They are all sinners.  I look for the least detestable of the lot.  I could do a lot worse than Santorum.  Ultimately I believe our primary process succeeds in picking the best available GOP candidate.   I don't believe anyone had a better chance to beat Obama than Romney.  We'll never know and ultimately my vote won't mean anything.

If I had to pick my personal favorite it would be Rand Paul.  If I had to put money on a prediction it will be Rick Perry or Chris Christie.

When I read between the lines of what Santorum said above he's telling his GOP audience that voters carry a perception the GOP doesn't care about the worker.  I think Santorum might not want to be the President who tells the guy who got downsized a year ago, "hurry up already!  Quit milking the clock, slacker."

Here's how Reagan dealt with long term unemployment
Reagan's 1983 State of the Union.
http://reagan2020.us/speeches/state_of_the_union_1983.asp
    Shortly, I will submit to the Congress the Employment Act of 1983, designed to get at the special problems of the long-term unemployed, as well as young people trying to enter the job market. I'll propose extending unemployment benefits, including special incentives to employers who hire the long-term unemployed, providing programs for displaced workers, and helping federally funded and state-administered unemployment insurance programs provide workers with training and relocation assistance. Finally, our proposal will include new incentives for summer youth employment to help young people get a start in the job market.

Now me, I agree with conservatives.  Having extended unemployment benefits reduces the number of productive workers.  Like Santorum, I don't assume everyone shares my drive.  Some voters might not see them as the parasites I see.

“We live in a bubble. We don’t realize what’s going on,” said the once and perhaps future presidential candidate who is now head of a movie studio based in Flower Mound that produces Christian entertainment. “How many of you watch prime time network television? I suspect none of you.”

We need to reach out to the non-ideological voter, and coming from the view that we applaud success can sound like we only care for the rich...That sounds pragmatic.  But I'd expect that from a 2 term Senator from purple PA.  I have no doubt Santorum could be elected in 2016 but can he win the primaries?

I wouldn't be shocked.  In Oct of last year freshman Senator Ted Cruz and freshman Senator Mike Lee expected a grass roots uprising of conservatives to flood telephones and email and keep pressure on the GOP to stall Obamacare with a government shutdown and eventually force President Obama to give his blessing to killing Obamacare or drive enough Democrats to pass a VETO proof repeal.

It never came.

But ask Karl Rove about the power of the evangelicals in 2004.  That's a voting block that Santorum can mobilize.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »
I have no doubt Santorum could be elected in 2016...

Seriously?  I mean....are you serious????

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »
Seriously?  I mean....are you serious????

Why not? The Dems managed to vote in an empty suit twice ....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:40:50 pm »
... Jimmy Carter is a decent man. Look how well he fared. The rest of the recent and much more successful presidents have been hard nosed pragmatists.

That's why there was so much interest in Christie, a tough guy who fights back. Of course, political fortunes do change on a dime. Witness, Bridgegate.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:44 pm »
I'd prefer Gov. Haley. Tough as hell, doesn't compromise her core but is willing to listen, woman so cut's Hillary off at the knees.

Had my eye on Gov. Brewer, but got persuaded that she was a none starter.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »
In 2016 I will have a choice of the GOP nominee and the rat nominee.  One of those 2 people will be the next President.  It is almost a certainty that whoever the GOP picks will be the lesser of 2 evils.  I'm all about the lesser of 2 evils.  Heart attack or stub my toe...sorry toe.  I don't understand why when people are given a choice, the less evil choice is hard.  I'm just stupid that way.

Some times a decent man is the best you can get.  You fight the battle with the army you have.  I would love to believe my President was a decent man.  It maybe there are no decent men in the halls of power.  They are all sinners.  I look for the least detestable of the lot.  I could do a lot worse than Santorum.  Ultimately I believe our primary process succeeds in picking the best available GOP candidate.   I don't believe anyone had a better chance to beat Obama than Romney.  We'll never know and ultimately my vote won't mean anything.

If I had to pick my personal favorite it would be Rand Paul.  If I had to put money on a prediction it will be Rick Perry or Chris Christie.

When I read between the lines of what Santorum said above he's telling his GOP audience that voters carry a perception the GOP doesn't care about the worker.  I think Santorum might not want to be the President who tells the guy who got downsized a year ago, "hurry up already!  Quit milking the clock, slacker."

Now me, I agree with conservatives.  Having extended unemployment benefits reduces the number of productive workers.  Like Santorum, I don't assume everyone shares my drive.  Some voters might not see them as the parasites I see.

We need to reach out to the non-ideological voter, and coming from the view that we applaud success can sound like we only care for the rich...That sounds pragmatic.  But I'd expect that from a 2 term Senator from purple PA.  I have no doubt Santorum could be elected in 2016 but can he win the primaries?

I wouldn't be shocked.  In Oct of last year freshman Senator Ted Cruz and freshman Senator Mike Lee expected a grass roots uprising of conservatives to flood telephones and email and keep pressure on the GOP to stall Obamacare with a government shutdown and eventually force President Obama to give his blessing to killing Obamacare or drive enough Democrats to pass a VETO proof repeal.

It never came.

But ask Karl Rove about the power of the evangelicals in 2004.  That's a voting block that Santorum can mobilize.

I think Rand Paul could get the evangelical vote. I hope Rand, Cruz, Or the originator of the tea-party DeMint gets in and wins. If these guys win they need a minority, hispanic, woman VP. Like it or not.

The rest of my opinion always seems to tick some people off but I don't care. I think we need a woman or minority to fight fire with fire.

We all saw the video someone posted on regular every day people being so dumb as dirt, they didn't know the difference between Obamacare and the ACA.

People will go for the shiny fake object that says I am woman and I care. Even though that awful shiny object is Hillary.

So I think a woman or minority is crucial to the ticket to win. Flame-away it's PR and I want to win.
Martinez , McMorris- Rogers ,Blackburn,  Brewer , Fallin , Haley, AG Pam Bondi. West,Ben Carson

Rand Paul as VP or as the head of the treasury.

Or Rand or Cruz picks one of these ladies.

Two white men republicans much less GOP E's are not going to beat Hillary period end of subject. Even Christie supposedly was picking a female /hispanic/minorityVP? I just saw polls and they said the bridge crap is not harming Christie. I think he was beating the snot out of Hillary. Not saying he is my primary choice but he is still beating her.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:18:28 pm by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:52 pm »
The MSM headline is now, an outright Christie IMPEACH. They have already impeached him and here is why, like it or not.

Christie/Martinez would beat Hillary.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/11/chris-christie-susana-martinez-is-this-your-2016-republican-ticket/281360/

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 02:34:30 pm »

It never came.

Good post, Once-Ler   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:45:54 pm »
Santorum couldn't even e in 're election to the Senate.  He's s blowhard.  I liked him even less after his last presidential attempt than before... remember he endorsed Arlen Spector over Toomey for Senate.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776