Author Topic: Box Office: With 'Lone Survivor' Hollywood Finally Produces Hit War Movie  (Read 1419 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/01/11/box-office-with-lone-survivor-hollywood-finally-produces-hit-war-movie

by John Nolte 11 Jan 2014, 6:23 AM PDT

UPDATE: By "war movie" I of course mean a movie about the battles in the War on Terror. I thought that was obvious in the piece, some comments show that wasn't clear enough.

Between documentaries and narrative feature films, Hollywood delivered somewhere close to two dozen box office bombs during the Bush Administration -- all of them attacking President George W. Bush and various elements of the War on Terror. Not one of these films was anything other than a critical and commercial humiliation. That, however, didn't stop Hollywood from making them. The entertainment industry's anti-American agenda will always trump greed. This weekend, though, with "Lone Survivor," Hollywood finally as a hit war movie on its hands.

According to Deadline, "Lone Survivor" is expected to top the weekend box office with a take of  $33 million to $35 million -- which is well above industry expectations and double the expectations of its distributor, Universal.

Though I haven't yet seen "Lone Survivor," by all accounts the true story of Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell (Mark Wahlberg) and his harrowing odyssey to stay alive after being ambushed by the Taliban in Afghanistan, is apolitical and respectful of the men who fight our wars. Writer/director Peter Berg (working from Luttrell's own book) is also receiving near-universal acclaim for crafting a damn fine war movie.

This is not a difficult code to crack: No one, not even American-hating leftists who could have made all of those flops a hit, want to be preached at in the movies. We also don’t want to see the men who risk and sacrifice everything for our country denigrated. Sure, like there are in every field, there are some bad apples in the military. But to focus only on the bad and never on the overwhelming number of good is nothing more than American/troop-bashing and lying through omission.

The other part of cracking that code is to put telling a good story above politics.

I saw almost every one of those box office bombs and found most of them sinister and designed only to undermine our war effort by turning the tide of American public opinion. At the time we had hundreds of thousands of brave men and women in war zones; tens of millions of innocent Afghan and Iraqi citizens had turned against the terrorists and desperately needed the protection we promised; but here were these evil bastards in Hollywood spending hundreds of millions of dollars to aid and abet the terrorists.

Despite the presence of Hollywood's biggest stars and top directors, to excuse this 100% failure rate, Hollywood and its media claimed that the politics and agenda of those flops had nothing to do with their failure at the box office; people were just "tired of war."

"Lone Survivor" proves that excuse a lie.

Polls show that people are even more tired of war today than they were then. But in a single weekend "Lone Survivor" has grossed more than many of its anti-American counterparts combined.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Have not seen it yet but I did read the book, but all I have heard is that it exceeds Saving Private Ryan for the intensity of the combat...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:04:37 pm by Chieftain »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Have not seen it yet but I did read the book, but all I have heard is that it exceeds Saving Private Ryan for the intensity of the combat...

If that is so - I shall give it a miss, thank you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
What kills most modern war movies is one of two things, or both.

- It's not a war movie, but a love story set during a war.  Such as Pearl Harbor was nothing more than a WWII version of Titanic.

- It is not a war movie, but a rabid leftest anti-war movie.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I saw the movie and I liked it.  The battle scenes are intense.  I liked that it was not preachy or political, but pretty realistic.  I came away with the theme of the brotherhood of these men and their incredible loyalty to each other and their mission at hand.  It was a tribute to their bravery and selflessness.  I cried at the end, but I highly recommend it.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If that is so - I shall give it a miss, thank you.

I saw the preview HBO is running and WANT to see the movie just unsure of my ability to sit through it.

I'm going to try!

Marcus grew up about twenty miles from where I'm sitting at this moment.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:52:55 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I saw the preview HBO is running and WANT to see the movie just unsure of my ability to sit through it.

I'm going to try!

Marcus grew up about twenty miles from where I'm sitting at this moment.

That's my worry, my friend. I rather enjoy not having bad dreams.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My son saw it a few weeks ago...some kind of private screening....he said it is tough to watch and this from an active duty and Iraq war vet....Black Hawk Down for me was very tough to watch....my hubby was acquainted with a few who were there and luckily survived...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline PzLdr

Saw it today. A GRET movie! And, as noted in other posts, VERY intense. The actors did a phenomenal job, the story was gripping, and it flew by. A must see.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Lando Lincoln

Saw it today. A GRET movie! And, as noted in other posts, VERY intense. The actors did a phenomenal job, the story was gripping, and it flew by. A must see.

I saw it today. I did not want to see it because of its intensity and I am really stressed on many levels... But my son talked me into it. 

It was an incredible movie.  I may not sleep for awhile, though.  And I may regret it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Box Office: With 'Lone Survivor' Hollywood Finally Produces Hit War Movie
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:31 pm »
That's my worry, my friend. I rather enjoy not having bad dreams.

No need to say that friend! I knew!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:59:39 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:10 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/01/11/lone-survivor-navy-seals

'Lone Survivor' Honors Lost SEAL Brothers in Arms

by Debbie Lee 11 Jan 2014, 8:41 AM PDT

I've often said the final gift that Marc gave me was his teammates, his brothers. If you have never served in the military it would be hard for you to understand that bond that develops. Marc tried to explain that to me before he died, telling me he was as close to his teammates as he was his own brother. I couldn't understand how that could be.

The week after Marc died, we had five of his SEAL brothers in our home, and my eyes were opened as I saw they loved Marc just as much as we did and were grieving as much as we were. That was the week that I became Momma Lee to them and they became my adopted boys.

Through the years that family of adopted boys has grown, and one of those men that I am blessed to have in my life is Marcus Luttrell. Marcus wrote the best selling book Lone Survivor and tells the story of Operation Red Wings that took place in Afghanistan in June of 2005. Nineteen men went in and only one returned, and he knew he had to tell the story to keep their memories alive.

When I read Lone Survivor not long after Marc died, I wasn't sure if I was ready emotionally for it. I started it on Tuesday and was finished Thursday morning. I couldn't put it down. My heart broke for these families who had lost loved ones; I knew their pain and the deep cost for freedom.

I couldn't believe what Marcus had survived. He been shot over and over, fell off or been blown off numerous cliffs, and hunted like an animal by the Taliban. I knew I had to reach out and thank him and let him know I was here for him.

When I met Marcus, I learned there was a special connection between him and Marc that wasn't a coincidence. Both of these heroes had the same name, Marc Alan, spelled the same way, and Marcus replaced my son at Camp Marc Lee after he was killed.

My Marc Alan left this earth and is in Heaven, but another Marc Alan was left for me.

No one will ever replace my son, but he saw to it that there was a plethora of them that we could love and support each other.

This weekend the movie Lone Survivor opens nationally in theaters across the nation. This is probably the best war movie I have ever seen. Obviously I am very biased as I know Marcus and many of the families who lost loved ones that day. I have been to three pre-screenings of the movie and would encourage each of you to see this movie and honor and remember these heroes and the sacrifices they make for us.

I was surprised the first time I saw the movie, as in one of the scenes in the team room as they are planning for the mission they focus on the wall and Marc's Memorial patch that his teammates made and wore the rest of the deployment after he was killed.

Marc wasn't part of that mission, but this was a way Marcus chose to honor and remember Marc. The love of brothers goes deep!

This movie obviously is not a documentary, but it is based on a true story. Marcus is a humble man and didn't want the focus to be on him but to show how hard his brothers fought. The movie doesn't show the 7 miles that Marcus crawled when he was paralyzed below the chest. He thought he was dying several times. He would draw a line in the dirt at his head and would crawl until his feet reached the line; he figured since he was still alive, he would draw the line and do it again. He did that for 7 miles; Talk about a never quit attitude.

This is a must-see movie. As a mother of a fallen hero, I can tell you that it is still strange to see my son's name on a memorial wall, in a book or movie, but when we have heroes who sacrifice their lives for our freedoms, their stories need to be told. Hollywood has done this one right, and we need to support this movie and honor our heroes!
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 05:48:29 am »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/11/theater-cancels-showings-of-major-hollywood-hits-to-accommodate-massive-crowds-flocking-to-see-lone-survivor/

Theater Cancels Showings of Major Hollywood Hits to Accommodate Massive Crowds Flocking to See ‘Lone Survivor’
Jan. 11, 2014 2:37pm Oliver Darcy

A Texas movie theater cancelled showings of several box office hits to accommodate massive demand for “Lone Survivor” Saturday.

“The following films have been cancelled due to the hit movie Lone Survivor”

“The following films have been cancelled due to the hit movie Lone Survivor,” a sign posted on the box office window of the Grand Theater in Conroe said. “We apologize for any inconvenience.”

A Texas movie theater canceled several films Saturday to make room for “Lone Survivor’s” high demand. (Image source: @Team_neverquit)

Cancelled movies at the 14-secreen multiplex include blockbusters “Wolf of Wall Street” and “Anchorman 2,” among multiple other films.

“Lone Survivor,” which is based off of the bestselling book by Marcus Luttrell, tells the incredible true story of four Navy SEALs ambushed by enemy forces while on a covert mission in Afghanistan.

The movie is projected to earn up to $38 million, based off box office scores from Friday, according to Variety. Estimates have reportedly doubled over the past 24 hours as a good word of mouth turns out huge crowds to theaters.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »
I might try to watch it if it comes to pay-per-view. I'm not going to sit in a theater and cry like a baby, but then, I reckon I won't be alone. Just reading about this is a tear-jerker for me. My Kindle is loaned out, but when I get it back, I will download the book.