Author Topic: Report: U.S., Canadian Energy Resources Could Provide 100% Domestic Liquid Fuel Needs by 2024  (Read 393 times)

Offline happyg

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Boy!  I remember being taught in grade school that crude oil came from composted dinosaurs, and since there were only so many of them, there was only so much oil and we were going to run out of it at any time, and that every single drop of oil on the planet was all made millions of years ago and the process completely stopped.

What utter bunk!

Ever wonder why there is so much crude oil and gas under the Gulf of Mexico??  It is in large part the result of a 10 kilometer asteroid impacting on the sub-continent of Yukatan and putting trillions of tons of organic matter down where pressure and heat can convert it into crude oil.

In fact, hydrocarbons in general are one of the stable chemical forms of both hydrogen and carbon in the universe, and attract many other molecules that join to make up even more stable and increasingly complex chemicals.  Hydrocarbon production on earth is likely an ongoing process that never stops as old land is subducted down below the mantle where pressure and heat can form many substances.  You cannot destroy matter, merely convert it into something else, but the matter itself remains whether you can see it or not.

Which oil company had the big green dinosaur for a logo way back when...??

Offline happyg

Which oil company had the big green dinosaur for a logo way back when...??

Wasn't that Texaco? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Sinclair

They still use it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

Sinclair is a fully-American company and I buy their fuel whenever I travel between here and Utah. It's the last of the non-ethanol holdouts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf