Author Topic: Dick Morris: Christie's in a Trap  (Read 907 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dick Morris: Christie's in a Trap
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=546474

Newsmax
Dick Morris: Christie's in a Trap
Friday, January 10, 2014 03:46 PM

By: Dick Morris

The conventional wisdom is that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has extricated himself from mortal political danger by his long, frank, apologetic press conference Thursday in Trenton.

There, he essentially blamed the bridge scandal on two aides and fired them both. Were he faced with cancer, this would be adequate treatment. Cut out the offending cells and it's gone. But politics is more nuanced.

By declaring that he had no knowledge and nothing to do with the traffic gridlock, he has hunkered down into a position that might be increasingly difficult to defend. The Democrats in the New Jersey Legislature — they're in control of both chambers — are likely to probe deeply into his denials and there may even be a federal investigation by a Senate committee.

It is just too facile to take at face value his claim to absolute innocence.

Who came up with the idea of a traffic jam in Fort Lee? Who knew enough about the traffic flow onto the George Washington Bridge to understand what to do? How did Bridget Anne Kelly come to send a cryptic email to Port Authority board member David Wildstein saying it was time for more traffic in Fort Lee? How did Wildstein know what she meant? How did he persuade the Port Authority to act on the idea?

When and how did Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich make the Christie enemies list in the first place? Why was he singled out among the various Jersey Democratic mayors who refused to cross over and endorse Christie?

When Port Authority executive Wildstein replied to Kelly's email: "got it," what was the background? Had they discussed the lane closure strategy before? The reply "got it" begs these questions.

Had Wildstein replied: "What the hell are you talking about? What do I have to do with Fort Lee traffic and why should we be interested?" it would have made more sense and lent more credibility to the claim that Kelly came up with the idea on her own.

The story is endlessly interesting and, before it is over, the inner workings of the Christie administration will be revealed for all to see. We will learn the background of the controversy in great detail, and it is unlikely that the governor will escape blame.

After all, the ironclad nature of Christie's denial — his assertion that he knew nothing about it — will likely not stand up. A plot like this is not hatched among subordinates with the chief left in total ignorance. At the bottom of the pile of emails that will emerge may be one in which Christie emulates the famous request of King Henry II of England, who asked his aides about Thomas Becket: "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"

Gov. Christie is stuck. He can't maneuver. His denial is too tight. His reputation too much at stake. It will not do for him to say, subsequently, that "it depends on what the definition of is, is." If his hand is anywhere in evidence after his denials, he is both stuck and sunk.

If he is to be sunk, the so-called moderate wing of the GOP will not only lack a rider, it will lack a horse. Without Christie's record in handling Superstorm Sandy, his re-election margin, and his outsized personality, his brand of would-be Rockefeller Republicanism has demonstrated its political impotence time and again.

Without Christie, there will be no moderate in the 2016 race.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Dick Morris: Christie's in a Trap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »
Without Christie, there will be no moderate in the 2016 race.
Nonsense. GOP-e has plenty of those in reserve to foist upon us.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:12 pm »
Dick Morris should shut his toe sucker.  The last thing we need is some frickin' "moderate" post-Obama.  The way things are going Joe Biden will be fighting the Hildebeest to decide which one is less electable than the other, and the backlash against the Dhimmies in 2016 is going to be fearful. 

I want a solid Conservative voice to get up and start speaking truth about what it is going to take to put this Country back on track.  Christie is not the guy to do that, and at this point I am not sure who is.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »
Nonsense. GOP-e has plenty of those in reserve to foist upon us.

Exactly. Ya''ll do realize that in a MSM timeline it showed a Hillary Clinton group as starting all of this?

Someone tell Cruz, Rand Paul to throw out there hard drives as Hillary will stop at nothing to take down all, even if she has to set them up.

I pray for this country every day. It is a sad depressing thing watching Obama destroy us. But I have decided I will not give up talking about it.

My fear is that the dems will divide and conquer us. The GOP establishment assholes v. the tea party. Obama's new 'freedom zones' is nothing but slush funds to the democrats for local election to empower the new ACORN. Go to San Antonio's Castro page for proof of that. The dems will cheat again with vans driving people state to state to vote and what not.

I don't want to be here on election day again crying. So how can we truly do something to stop the dem vote fraud ahead of time, instead of posting hundreds of articles of how it happened and we all sit here and whine about it? The Tea Party can organize to have watchers. Screw the GOP they are thy friend of thine enemy.

BTW:Just read where Issa is thinking about running.  I don't know if he is friend or foe.

end of rant-sorry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:55:04 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »
 ... how about a non-millionaire politician? How about that? Maybe what the country needs is a Mr. Smith going to Washington.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »
Dick Morris should shut his toe sucker.  The last thing we need is some frickin' "moderate" post-Obama.  The way things are going Joe Biden will be fighting the Hildebeest to decide which one is less electable than the other, and the backlash against the Dhimmies in 2016 is going to be fearful. 

I want a solid Conservative voice to get up and start speaking truth about what it is going to take to put this Country back on track.  Christie is not the guy to do that, and at this point I am not sure who is.

See my comments elsewhere about Darryl Issa.....

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:16:20 pm »
... how about a non-millionaire politician? How about that? Maybe what the country needs is a Mr. Smith going to Washington.

I agree but NO ONE will make it without using their own money PLUS donated funds.

A billion to elect Obama the incarnate from hell.

Dr. Ben Carson is not billionaire rich and I would be so happy if he ran.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?