Author Topic: What Meanings of All 50 State Names  (Read 342 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
What Meanings of All 50 State Names
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: What Meanings of All 50 State Names
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
I am sure I can find something there that I find offensive to my sensibilities.  I think I'll start a movement to simply number the states or something.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
Just funny.........I was JUST talking about this earlier this morning with hubby.

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
White House Tweet from Obama.   #You forgot 7 States.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
Maryland: Named for Henrietta Maria, wife of English King Charles I. Mary originally comes from Hebrew Miryam, the sister of Moses.
I thought it was named for the Virgin Mary, because it was a Catholic colony (compared to the Puritan colony of Massachusetts).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf