Author Topic: HOLDER SAYS US WILL RECOGNIZE SAME-SEX MARRIAGES IN UTAH FOR PURPOSES OF FEDERAL BENEFITS DESPITE GOV'S DIRECTIVE NOT TO  (Read 722 times)

Offline flowers

Offline flowers

Utah gay marriages will be recognized by federal government, attorney general says

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/

The federal government will recognize marriages performed in Utah after a judge struck down the state’s same-sex marriage ban, Attorney General Holder said Friday, noting that the newly-wedded gay couples “should not be asked to endure uncertainty regarding their status” as the legal challenges unfold.

Holder’s announcement comes two days after Utah ordered its state offices not to do anything that would acknowledge the more than 1,000 same-sex marriages performed in the state over a nearly three-week period after a federal judge struck down the ban on Dec. 20.

The Supreme Court ordered a stay on those weddings Monday while the state challenges the judge’s ruling.

"I am confirming today that, for purposes of federal law, these marriages will be

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

The Department of Justice: Where the law means whatever we feel like it means.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Olivia

Honestly, what's it going to take to stop this corruption led by Holder & Obama?
The republicans in Congress are a disgrace to let this power grab continue without so much as a whimper!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

Honestly, what's it going to take to stop this corruption led by Holder & Obama?
The republicans in Congress are a disgrace to let this power grab continue without so much as a whimper!

Look at the Republicans who voted for him to be confirmed.  McCain, Graham, Hatch (senator from Utah)..... they all knew the mans background in the Clinton administration and that he had defended the terrorists in Gitmo.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Olivia

Look at the Republicans who voted for him to be confirmed.  McCain, Graham, Hatch (senator from Utah)..... they all knew the mans background in the Clinton administration and that he had defended the terrorists in Gitmo.

So true!  I'm really discouraged with most of the republicans and what they've become but the American people keep right on putting these same "wacko's" back in office.
Glad I changed my affiliation several years ago.  I'm a registered independent and proud of it.
Not that I would give them money anyway.  Fat chance of that!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Just-Us out reinforcing the base...

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
How quickly we forget that once we let the rabid dog run loose, it will sooner or later turn and bite us.

Defining marriage for "federal purposes" was a concept introduced by Republicans and passed by a majority Republican Congress under the name of the (Federal) Defense of Marriage Act.

I got kicked out of FR for pointing out that once we gave the Federal government the power to define marriage for Federal purposes, it would eventually define it in a way that we would oppose.

... and here we are.

P.S. There isn't now, any more than there was then, a "Federal purpose" for defining marriage. However marriage is defined by the individual State is the definition that the Federal government must work under.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:53:53 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx