Author Topic: People Not In Labor Force Soar To Record 91.8 Million; Participation Rate Plunges To 1978 Levels  (Read 834 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-10/people-not-labor-force-soar-record-918-million-participation-rate-plunges-1978-level

People Not In Labor Force Soar To Record 91.8 Million; Participation Rate Plunges To 1978 Levels
Tyler Durden's picture
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 01/10/2014 08:48 -0500

Curious why despite the huge miss in payrolls the unemployment rate tumbled from 7.0% to 6.7%? The reason is because in December the civilian labor force did what it usually does in the New Normal: it dropped from 155.3 million to 154.9 million, which means the labor participation rate just dropped to a fresh 35 year low, hitting levels not seen since 1978, at 62.8% down from 63.0%.

And the piece de resistance: Americans not in the labor force exploded higher by 535,000 to a new all time high 91.8 million.

The jobless, laborless recovery continues to steam on.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Why would anyone continue to seek work if they know they are going to get a check whether they do or not?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

Why would anyone continue to seek work if they know they are going to get a check whether they do or not?

Exactly.  A man called into Pat and Stu yesterday saying he is divorced, pays his ex-wife $1,000 a month in child support and she lost her job and has not gone back to work.  He asked her when she was going to look for a job (it's been a while) and her response to him was "why should I?  My unemployment hasn't run out yet."  Since she receives $400 a week, plus the $1,000 and doesn't have to pay child care she thinks she is doing great without working.  Other people called in with similar stories...... why look when they can collect money from unemployment.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776