Author Topic: Chris Christie’s critics savor his misfortune  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: Chris Christie’s critics savor his misfortune
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »
It was really enlightening when you hear what they have both said side-by-side like this.

As for Christie........he is out there dangling in the wind because he has been delighting in sticking his finger in the eye of Republicans - from Palin to Paul and in between.  He seemed to think it would endear him to someone  :shrug: but now all of a sudden the media found his achilles heel and he is twisting in the wind finding out the media only loved him while it was convenient and the Republicans he delighted in trash-talking to make himself seem like a big cheese are giving him the cold treatment... Niki Haley did send out a tweet of support  - that was it - and Palin to her credit is defending him, even though he went out of his way in the past to denigrate her.   - his behavior re: Sandy funding was over the top.  He was going to get the All the while Obama lied and only Conservatives complained.  Obama closed down roads and National Parks and only Conservatives complained.  Obama has ignored the law over and over on Obamacare, immigration, etc.. and only Conservatives complained.  Through all of this, Christie mocked and stiffed Conservatives - in addition to what he did to Romney - which I find unforgiveable money, he knew he was going to get the money, but he had to make a lot of noise over it to trash Conservatives (again).. and then we find out a huge chunk of the money was wasted by Christie's administration.  All in all the hell with Chris Christie... he needed this bring down a few pegs... it's long overdue.

I can't find one thing here I disagree with.   Christie mocked and stiffed conservatives, and that tone spread to the online GOP defender posting community.  We've seen plenty of it here.   

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »
I can't find one thing here I disagree with.   Christie mocked and stiffed conservatives, and that tone spread to the online GOP defender posting community.  We've seen plenty of it here.

This is getting so tiresome.    :thud:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:30 pm »
Where was all the outrage from the media when Obama closed the White House to tours and all those school children who made up money to go were kicked to the curb?  That was all POLITICAL and yet the media were silent :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 01:24:38 am »
Actually, they were too busy vilifying Ted Cruz, as was a poster or two here.   :whistle:

Offline happyg

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:01 am »
Where was all the outrage from the media when Obama closed the White House to tours and all those school children who made up money to go were kicked to the curb?  That was all POLITICAL and yet the media were silent

Actually, they were too busy vilifying Ted Cruz, as was a poster or two here.   :whistle:

:amen:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 03:59:11 am »

Who exactly can we be critical of, and who can't we not be critical of in this site?

I've just recently rejoined the ranks, so I may have missed the memo.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 04:00:47 am »
This is getting so tiresome.    :thud:

Remind me someday to explain what this means.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 04:18:24 am »
Who exactly can we be critical of, and who can't we not be critical of in this site?

We don't ban people here for being critical of any politician.  But I'm certain you realize the majority of the members here are conservative or conservative-leaning... we do have moderates -   but they are the minority here and usually the differences lead to some heated threads. 

BTW we had a poll on how everyone leans on this site (was not open to the public like a lot of our other polls)

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,98223.0.html
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:44 am »

:tongue2: It's good to see you back, too!

Good rule of thumb - criticize all you want, but have the facts to back it up and keep your temper. It's only a web site.

Figure every pol should be put under the scope. Don't do it, you get an Obama.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »
John Podhoretz
Why Bridgegate made headlines but Obama’s IRS scandal didn’t

Most government scandals involve the manipulation of the system in obscure ways by people no one has ever heard of. That is why George Washington Bridgegate is nearly a perfect scandal — because it is comprehensible and (as they say in Hollywood) “relatable” to everyone who has ever been in a car. This is the reason this one is not going to go away so easily, even if one accepts the contention that Gov. Chris Christie had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Government officials and political operatives working for Christie, for weird and petty reasons, chose to make traffic worse. That’s the takeaway. When they are reminded of the fact that people working on Christie’s behalf thought it was a good political game to mire tens of thousands of their fellow Americans in the nightmarish gridlock that is a daily dreaded prospect for tens of millions, they will be discomfited by that and by the politician in whose name it was done.

And yet, you know what is also something everybody would find “relatable”? Politicians who sic the tax man on others for political gain. Everybody has to deal with the IRS and fears it. Last year, we learned from the Internal Revenue Service itself that it had targeted ideological opponents of the president for special scrutiny and investigation — because they were ideological opponents.

That’s juicy, just as Bridgegate is juicy. It’s something we can all understand, it speaks to our greatest fears, and it’s the sort of thing TV newspeople could gab about for days on end without needing a fresh piece of news to keep it going.

And yet, according to Scott Wheelock of the Media Research Center, “In less than 24 hours, the three networks have devoted 17 times more coverage to a traffic scandal involving Chris Christie than they’ve allowed in the last six months to Barack Obama’s Internal Revenue Service controversy.”

Why? Oh, come on, you know why. Christie belongs to one political party. Obama belongs to the other. You know which ones they belong to. And you know which ones the people at the three networks belong to, too: In surveys going back decades, anywhere from 80% to 90% of Washington’s journalists say they vote Democratic.

Scandals are not just about themselves; they are about the media atmosphere that surrounds them. They are perpetuated and deepened by the attention of journalists, whose relentless pursuit of every angle keeps the story going. That is exactly what has been missing from the IRS scandal from its outset; Republicans in Congress have been the dogged pursuers, not the press.

There was plenty of material. Just as journalists remain skeptical today about who exactly might have gotten the idea for the lane closures, they could have been asking without letup who got the idea to dig into conservative tax-status applications. Several officials at the IRS resigned, retired and took the Fifth, just as was the case with Christie-aligned Port Authority officials.

It’s pretty clear the questions about how high up Bridgegate went are going to be pursued far more diligently than they have been in the IRS case.

What gives?

There is a fundamental misunderstanding among conservatives about the causes of partisan media bias — the reason there is unequal coverage of scandals of this kind. It exists not because there is a conscious effort to soft-pedal bad news for politicians you like and to push hard on bad news for politicians you don’t.

It’s actually more personal — more relatable, shall we say—than that.

Journalists know the Obamans. Intimately. They know them from college, they know them from work, they know them from kids’ soccer. They’re literally married to them.

To the journalists, the Obamans don’t look like crooks and cheats. Far from it. For them, it’s like looking in a mirror.

In September, Elspeth Reeve of The Atlantic Wire took note of 24 major journalists who have taken posts at senior levels in the Obama administration. All of them have worked for decades in various news organizations, thus creating personal ties and bonds of affection with literally hundreds of working reporters and editors.

The journalists are not covering up for their friends and their spouses. They just believe the people they know could not be responsible for behaving badly, or cravenly, or for crass political advantage —and the tone they strike when such things are discussed is often one of offense, as though it is a sign of low character to believe otherwise. It would be, well, like believing the journalists themselves were crooks.

It’s fair to say that most conservatives don’t know people in the Obama administration, and they dislike and disagree with its policies. When they look at it, their dislike and lack of any personal connection make it easier for them to see officials mired in scandal and tush-covering cover-up. This is a direct analogue to the way liberals — of whom journalists comprise a central cohort — viewed the George W. Bush and Reagan administrations.

They saw people with whom they disagreed and who they thought were bad for the country and so found it much easier to believe they were acting out of malign motive and doing evil.

Christie may be entirely innocent of all wrongdoing. Or there may be some connection, even a very tenuous and suggestive one. But there will be little let-up now.

For in the end, because Christie is a Republican. Christie isn’t them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »

Hey, you were the one pontificating about free speech a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, we both get to enjoy that luxury.   :beer:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

We don't ban people here for being critical of any politician.  But I'm certain you realize the majority of the members here are conservative or conservative-leaning... we do have moderates -   but they are the minority here and usually the differences lead to some heated threads. 

BTW we had a poll on how everyone leans on this site (was not open to the public like a lot of our other polls)

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,98223.0.html

Darn it, Rap!

Just because we don't agree with the SOCONS here on EVERY issue, doesn't make us "moderates".

I am Conservative as they come fiscally...when it comes to governing.   But I believe certain issues that our side dwells upon have no business in campaigns.   Issues that find candidates spouting nonsense when confronted in an interview, etc..   You know EXACTLY what I mean, too. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:03 pm »
Darn it, Rap!

Just because we don't agree with the SOCONS here on EVERY issue, doesn't make us "moderates".

I am Conservative as they come fiscally...when it comes to governing.   But I believe certain issues that our side dwells upon have no business in campaigns.   Issues that find candidates spouting nonsense when confronted in an interview, etc..   You know EXACTLY what I mean, too.

Back to my picture.

Imagine that is a picture of half of the polity. The half that self-identifies to the right of center more than to the left.

As we self-define what constitutes a "real conservative" as compared to others, the volume of voters thins out, eventually reaching that pinpoint that the triangle is standing on.

Why?

Because at the end of the day, the qualification of what constitutes a real-conservative becomes everything that we each individually believe in, and grouping people who believe exactly in the same way about political and social issues creates a narrowing spiral as a result.

So the triangle is a commentary on what conservatives claim to be the "base" of the coalition that's supposed to be the GOP. It's a precarious stance when that "base" is made up of the narrowest measure of the polity in general.

Point in fact.

You and I consider ourselves conservatives. In fact, my libertarian ideology tells me that I am more of a conservative than most, yet those who label libertarian ideals that believe that the government should have little or no voice in certain matters (including social issues) label me as more liberal than themselves, while I label those who advocate the use of government force in the name of enforcing a social conservative agenda, as dangerous to the tenets of liberty and small government conservatism as their brethren on the center-to-left side of the triangle.

Since we don't agree with others here, they label us as closer to the left than they are, because they will never self-identify as less conservative than those who disagree with them on any issue.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:08:30 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 06:06:40 pm »
Hey, you were the one pontificating about free speech a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, we both get to enjoy that luxury.   :beer:

So long as labeling others is considered part of "free-speech", then that game can be played by both sides without consequences... right?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »
:tongue2: It's good to see you back, too!

Good rule of thumb - criticize all you want, but have the facts to back it up and keep your temper. It's only a web site.

Figure every pol should be put under the scope. Don't do it, you get an Obama.

Yep.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 06:19:10 pm »
A man was standing off the edge of the Golden Gate Bridge --about to jump. A passer-by arrives and tries to talk him down; he asks: "Sir, are you an American?" to which the man answers "yes."

“Where are you from?” – asks the Good Samaritan. “I am from Louisiana”, responds the distraught man.

Great! What an incredible coincidence! I am from the South as well!” – says the Good Samaritan.

The passer-by continues to engage the jumper: "What is your political affiliation, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian or Independent?"

The answer was: "Republican."

"Me too, that’s amazing!” – the Good Samaritan continues. “What kind of Republican are you: Conservative, small “l” libertarian, paleoconservative,  Krystolian neoconservative, or Country Club Republican?"

The jumper seems to be more engaged in the conversation ayt this point, and responds: “I am aConservative.”

The Good Samaritan gets excited: "Me too! Are you a Social Conservative, or a Fiscal Conservative?" The man on the edge, now obviously more relaxed answers "Social Conservative."

Now, the Good Samaritan gets really excited: "Me too; what kind of Social Conservative. Are you a Christian Right, or a Compassionate Conservative?"

The guy on the bridge says: "Compassionate Conservative", and with that the Good Samaritan, becoming very angry, screams: "Die liberal!" and pushes him off the bridge.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 06:36:07 pm »

The guy on the bridge says: "Compassionate Conservative", and with that the Good Samaritan, becoming very angry, screams: "Die liberal!" and pushes him off the bridge.

Great illustration of the problem at hand.

The idea of forcing women that have been raped, to carry and give birth seems to be a tripping point issue.

Republicans have given away several easily winnable seats, over that issue.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »
Great illustration of the problem at hand.

The idea of forcing women that have been raped, to carry and give birth seems to be a tripping point issue.

This is a thread about Chris Christie.
 Take the Akins stuff to your own thread.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 04:03:48 am »

It's an absolute race to the bottom of that triangle via ideological purity, however, the concept of what constitutes that ideological purity gets muddled when you start asking questions, as illustrated by the joke.

In another forum, sometime ago. I began a thread by posing a simple question:

"What defines a true conservative?"

IIRC, the thread went half a dozen posts before it turned into an all-out brawl.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 08:25:16 am »
A man was standing off the edge of the Golden Gate Bridge --about to jump. A passer-by arrives and tries to talk him down; he asks: "Sir, are you an American?" to which the man answers "yes."

“Where are you from?” – asks the Good Samaritan. “I am from Louisiana”, responds the distraught man.

Great! What an incredible coincidence! I am from the South as well!” – says the Good Samaritan.

The passer-by continues to engage the jumper: "What is your political affiliation, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian or Independent?"

The answer was: "Republican."

"Me too, that’s amazing!” – the Good Samaritan continues. “What kind of Republican are you: Conservative, small “l” libertarian, paleoconservative,  Krystolian neoconservative, or Country Club Republican?"

The jumper seems to be more engaged in the conversation ayt this point, and responds: “I am aConservative.”

The Good Samaritan gets excited: "Me too! Are you a Social Conservative, or a Fiscal Conservative?" The man on the edge, now obviously more relaxed answers "Social Conservative."

Now, the Good Samaritan gets really excited: "Me too; what kind of Social Conservative. Are you a Christian Right, or a Compassionate Conservative?"

Nice update on an old classic.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
John Podhoretz
http://nypost.com/2014/01/11/why-bridgegate-made-headlines-but-obamas-irs-scandal-didnt

And endlessly fascinating subject for discussion. Podhoretz covers it pretty well. But I think he's being too kind. Some journalists know they are pushing an agenda and are hiding behind a veneer of objectivity. But, not every.

I remember being taught how the Soviet Union kept an iron grip on citizens. How their newspapers were organs of the state, manipulating the people with propaganda. I remember thinking that government and journalists acted in concert by design, that there was a huge, centrally controlled conspiracy. I don't believe that anymore.

I think journalists in the Soviet Union believed they were "free" to print the truth as they saw it. The majority just happened to see it from the government's perspective. They were true believers. Just as American journalists today are true believers. Free to print the truth – as they see it. What a coincidence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 01:01:20 pm »

I think journalists in the Soviet Union believed they were "free" to print the truth as they saw it. The majority just happened to see it from the government's perspective. They were true believers. Just as American journalists today are true believers. Free to print the truth – as they see it. What a coincidence.

The ones who didn't see the "truth" from the government's perspective, didn't get to be journalists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:14 pm »

You and I consider ourselves conservatives. In fact, my libertarian ideology tells me that I am more of a conservative than most, yet those who label libertarian ideals that believe that the government should have little or no voice in certain matters (including social issues) label me as more liberal than themselves, while I label those who advocate the use of government force in the name of enforcing a social conservative agenda, as dangerous to the tenets of liberty and small government conservatism as their brethren on the center-to-left side of the triangle.

Most salient point to our political dilemma. If conservatives were ever to embrace constitutional liberty, democrats would never win another election. But, we're too busy thinking government (candidates for political office) should reflect our values. What we end up doing however is giving government (politicians) power over our values and thus the freedom to corrupt them.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »
Most salient point to our political dilemma. If conservatives were ever to embrace constitutional liberty, democrats would never win another election. But, we're too busy thinking government (candidates for political office) should reflect our values. What we end up doing however is giving government (politicians) power over our values and thus the freedom to corrupt them.

My teeth almost fell from my mouth when I read your post.  It's quite possibly the truest thing I've ever read on a forum.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »

Exactly.

Case in point.

Last week in this forum (and other forums), many were complaining about the fact that Eric Holder announced that the Federal government would recognize same-sex marriages performed in Utah prior to the SCOTUS putting a hold on the Federal judge's decision hat struck down Utah's ban on same-sex marriages. Holder said that the marriages performed in the interim will be recognized "for federal purposes".

Most of those people accused Holder of exceeding his power, however, all seemed to have forgotten that the Federal government having the ability to recognize a marriage "for federal purposes" irrespective of whether or not the marriage was valid in a State, was the entire basis for the Federal DoMA, a GOP-led and conservative supported law.

We gave them the power over our values, and they are using that power to corrupt them.