Author Topic: Chamber of Commerce to oppose tea party in primaries  (Read 875 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Chamber of Commerce to oppose tea party in primaries
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:07 pm »
http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/08/chamber-of-commerce-to-oppose-tea-party-in-primaries/

Chamber of Commerce to oppose tea party in primaries

Posted By Breanna Deutsch On 6:28 PM 01/08/2014

At the annual State of American Business Address on Wednesday, U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Thomas J. Donohue announced that the chamber plans on endorsing against some tea party members in Republican primaries.

“In 2014, the chamber will work to protect and expand a pro-business majority in the House and advance our position and our influence in the Senate,” Donohue said. “The business community understands what’s at stake.”

Donohue explained in an interview with Bloomberg, that while he is skeptical of big government, he opposes politicians who have “hitched their trailer to the tea party wagon.” Donohue blames these lawmakers for shutting down the government in October 2013.

The chamber president promised to be involved in the mid-term elections “right from the beginning” and the business community has already showed signs of their commitment to getting “pro-business” candidates elected.

This past November, the chamber financially supported Bradley Byrne over tea party favorite Dean Young in the Republican primary for a U.S. House seat. With the help of business groups and the chamber’s $199,000 backing, Byrne prevailed.

Michigan Republican Rep. Justin Amash faces a business-backed primary challenger. Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce head Steve Stevens decided against challenging Kentucky Republican Rep. Thomas Massie.

Donohue also touted immigration legislation opposed by many conservatives.

“We’re determined to make 2014 the year that immigration reform is finally enacted,” said Donohue.

He promised, “The chamber will pull out all of the stops — through grassroots lobbying, communications, politics, and partnerships with our friends in unions and faith-based organizations and law enforcement groups and others — to get this job done.

Heritage Action for America’s Dan Holler told Bloomberg that the chamber’s “pro-big-business agenda” is what makes it disconnected from other Republican groups.

Holler explained, “If they just wanted to let the private sector thrive, the chamber would have no better friends than conservatives and tea party folks,” he continued, “If they’re instead content to see business as usual in Washington, that’s where they will run into a ton of resistance not only from conservatives but also independents.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline MBB1984

Re: Chamber of Commerce to oppose tea party in primaries
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:59 pm »
Tell them to bring the fight.  I will make sure I vote third party if their candidates win the primary.  The "big business community" needs to understand the consequences of their action.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »
Tell them to bring the fight.  I will make sure I vote third party if their candidates win the primary.  The "big business community" needs to understand the consequences of their action.

I agree.   I posted an article here around Christmas time about the Chamber has been heavily donating to Democratic candidates of late.  Republicans wrongly assume they are a Republican group, they are not.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:38 pm »
Wait until the chamber explains to voters, that they represent the companies that employ people, and see how that angle plays out.

The chamber isn't some "johhny come lately" player in politics. They are supported by member-employers, and the member-employers sign paychecks.

The chamber advocates for a strong economy, low taxes, less regulation, etc. And they collect money from member firms, to use in campaigns.

At the most fundamental level, the Tea Party can claim to represent some nice soundbite phrases. But at the paycheck and bank account level, a lot of folks may question what they are doing.

And don't forget for a minute that each major TP organization has people at the top, getting commissions for funds raised, and for ads placed.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »
Wait until the chamber explains to voters, that they represent the companies that employ people, and see how that angle plays out.

You do know - I assume - why this has become so important to the Chamber of late.  None other than the way Obamacare is written.  If the companies hire illegals they are exempt from paying the fines to the government for not providing healthcare they are beholden to pay for American citizen workers.  This amounts to a lot of money. 

But... if these employers are so flush and have so many unfilled jobs - then this shores up my reasoning for cutting off long term unemployment benefits as we are paying Americans not to work so we can import Mexicans to work.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »

In other words, if you don't get your way you're going to take your ball and go home.  You might as well vote democrat in that event because voting third party is tantamount to that.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:53 pm »
You do know - I assume - why this has become so important to the Chamber of late.  None other than the way Obamacare is written.  If the companies hire illegals they are exempt from paying the fines to the government for not providing healthcare they are beholden to pay for American citizen workers.  This amounts to a lot of money. 

But... if these employers are so flush and have so many unfilled jobs - then this shores up my reasoning for cutting off long term unemployment benefits as we are paying Americans not to work so we can import Mexicans to work.

I have put all of my reps on notice that any vote for anything that looks like amnesty will be the end for them if I have my way and I'm far from alone in having done so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:47:38 pm »

The chamber has been raising campaign money from long before anybody heard of the TP. The TP has overshot their zone of competence.

They cannot claim to have helped businesses or employees. Just soundbite phrases since 2010. And inconsistent at that, since they rested during 2012.

An employer in a community wants a reliable, experienced candidate who takes on their issues, in a manner that helps them.

Too many of the TP people come across as unpredictable, inexperienced, etc.

No Republicans have voted for Obamacare. That is a record which reassures employers to steer clear of untested, wildeyed newcomers, which is how some TP people have proved to be.

And these employers know the Tea Party isn't some saintly effort. As I stated, but you avoided, at the top are people who take commissions for funds raised, and ads placed.......JUST LIKE Karl Rove does.

Threats of 3rd party, remind us of Eternal Vigilance. He's running for Governor now, as omg a Republican !!!!

Some of the whackos have even figured out the 3rd party fallacy. Some haven't.

If I can't be pitcher, I won't play.  If I can't have the promotion, I won't come to work. Juvenile. Ineffective.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »

Hmmm, but the penalties, including the possibility of prosecution for a federal felony, don't bother these same employers one bit?  You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
The Chamber doesn't support the TP because they know the TP stands for stopping the crazy spending in DC - which means cutting off all the wild spending in DC... This is why they are increasingly funding Democrats... just like the unions they love the crony spending.   

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:20 pm »
The Chamber doesn't support the TP because they know the TP stands for stopping the crazy spending in DC - which means cutting off all the wild spending in DC... This is why they are increasingly funding Democrats... just like the unions they love the crony spending.   
The Tea Parties, pitted against the Chambers of Commerce, will come out behind.

Boeing is probably the largest employer in my town. And a member of the Chamber.

They can play in the big leagues. Their employees will pick their families' wellbeing, and careers, over some soundbite jingles for 2 election cycles, and some goofy characters.

The TP message has become blurred. In part it has been highjacked by social conservatives, and now veers into the area of demonizing employers of voters.

Good luck with that genius strategy.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:10 am »
You certainly are hung up on social conservatives.  There is no proof except in your mind the tea party has been co-opted by social conservatives.   Also the chamber may have the money - but they cannot force people to get up and go vote for their candidates.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:51 am »
Oh BTW did you know the former head of the Chamber of Commerce is now a partner with Karl Rove.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:02 am »
Oh BTW did you know the former head of the Chamber of Commerce is now a partner with Karl Rove.
That is great. Money and political experience and skill should be helpful in electing candidates that will be good for America and for conservatism in general.

My own representative is a solid conservative, and has chosen to not formally align himself with the Tea Party.

He will, along with many other Republicans not aligned with the Tea Party, gather support from many Reagan conservative Republicans.

As I stated, the Chamber of Commerce is comprised of many businesses, who in turn employ many voters.

Institutions such as the Chamber have been instrumental in American politics, and electing Republicans.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »
In other words, if you don't get your way you're going to take your ball and go home.  You might as well vote democrat in that event because voting third party is tantamount to that.

No, what it means is that I will vote my principles and ideology.  And, I will not cry or whine because the "lesser of two evils" got pummeled in an election.