Author Topic: Fort Lee mayor to Christie: Don't come here to apologize  (Read 838 times)

Offline happyg

Fort Lee mayor to Christie: Don't come here to apologize
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »

Thanks, but no thanks.

That’s the message Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich has for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and his offer to personally apologize to him and residents in the area following word that members of Christie’s staff helped orchestrate massive traffic jams at a busy commuter bridge as part of a political vendetta against Sokolich for not publicly supporting Christie during the last election.

There had been rumors floating for months that certain members of his staff hatched a plan that led to the four-day lane closures at the George Washington Bridge last September, causing massive delays.

Christie repeatedly denied the charges, until emails surfaced Wednesday showing the governor's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, played a role.

"I was blind-sided," Christie said during a lengthy press conference Thursday, claiming Kelly "lied" to him when he asked senior staffers weeks ago about the lane closures.

He said he has fired Kelly, "effective immediately." He also cracked down on his former campaign manager, Bill Stepien, for his involvement in the incident.

Christie repeatedly apologized for the lane closings and reiterated he was not behind it. He also said he’d go to Fort Lee to personally apologize.

When a reporter told him during the news conference that Sokolich said a visit would be “premature and disruptive,” the governor said he would go up regardless and apologize to residents.

“If he doesn’t want to meet with me today, I’m still going to go up to Fort Lee today . . . because I think it’s important to apologize to folks.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/09/fort-lee-mayor-to-christie-dont-come-here-to-apologize/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Fort Lee mayor to Christie: Don't come here to apologize
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:52 pm »
How about "Christie displayed really crappy judgment by employing subordinates, that would do such things."

Christie was also a negligent manager, to not know what his subordinates were up to.

My father taught me long ago, regarding business, you are not only responsible for what you know, but for what you should know.

A management professor taught me you can delegate authority, but you cannot delegate responsibility.

Of course none of these principles mean anything to political operatives, these days; not until they are caught.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:43:24 pm »
He went out of his way today to lambaste his assistant who is taking the blame for this..... and to deny any knowledge on his part.  This is the same sort of blame the other guy and the buck doesn't stop with me behavior we see from Obama.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:58 am »
He went out of his way today to lambaste his assistant who is taking the blame for this..... and to deny any knowledge on his part.  This is the same sort of blame the other guy and the buck doesn't stop with me behavior we see from Obama.
Roger Stone's Three Corollaries:
1. Admit nothing.
2. Deny everything.
3. Launch counterattack.

Christie is a shrewd politician. He didn't get to the point where he did by playing nice. As many problems as I have with the guy, the swagger he has consistently shown in dealing with the political and media types has been refreshing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:31 am »
Again, I strongly recommend that everyone check out George Will's excellent explanation of the first three rules of Damage Control on Special Report today.  Very interesting and spot on.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:59 am »
Again, I strongly recommend that everyone check out George Will's excellent explanation of the first three rules of Damage Control on Special Report today.  Very interesting and spot on.

Here is the link to Bret Baier and the Roundtable with Will's comments.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/special-report-bret-baier/index.html

Will said there comes a time when you say goodbye to people. He also said today gave Christie a chance to look presidential, and he did, along with how to handle a crisis. Will also said Christie got a taste of the scrutiny he would be under, should he run for president.

I agree with all that, providing Christie is telling the truth, and not throwing people under the bus for his own goals. Anyone with half a brain can look presidential, but how long will it last? (Obama doesn't have half a brain). I can't imagine his not being aware of all that went on right under his nose. Why did he think the lanes were cut off? Did he even ask?

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:57:58 am »
Here is the link to Bret Baier and the Roundtable with Will's comments.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/special-report-bret-baier/index.html

Will said there comes a time when you say goodbye to people. He also said today gave Christie a chance to look presidential, and he did, along with how to handle a crisis. Will also said Christie got a taste of the scrutiny he would be under, should he run for president.

I agree with all that, providing Christie is telling the truth, and not throwing people under the bus for his own goals. Anyone with half a brain can look presidential, but how long will it last? (Obama doesn't have half a brain). I can't imagine his not being aware of all that went on right under his nose. Why did he think the lanes were cut off? Did he even ask?

If Christie was a Democrat, this would be hailed as an executive decision by the media.  Since this is a GOP governor, it will dog him for years.  Brian Williams was basically breathless tonight as he led the NBC newscast with this story. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline evadR

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:58 am »
Looks like he learned from Obama well.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.