Offline Rapunzel

« on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
Sometimes I wish my name was Walter Mitty. 

I'd fix Ms. Lu real good!     :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »
Sometimes I wish my name was Walter Mitty. 

I'd fix Ms. Lu real good!     :smokin:

We could arrange for that, Mr. Mitty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
From the standpoint of educators, perhaps religious neutrality is the way for them to reserve the school for teaching the 3 Rs.

Let the kids do their religious things, during non-school time, and not on campus.

The area near West Covina has a lot of Asians, and many of them are Buddhists (their ancestors built the railroads across the West).

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
How do candy canes relate to religion? Did they exist during Jesus' time on earth? /s

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
If parents are as sick of this kind of stuff as I am - they should take their children out of public schools.  When they lose enough money, maybe things will change.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
From the standpoint of educators, perhaps religious neutrality is the way for them to reserve the school for teaching the 3 Rs.

Let the kids do their religious things, during non-school time, and not on campus.

The area near West Covina has a lot of Asians, and many of them are Buddhists (their ancestors built the railroads across the West).

I'll bet Asian kids like candy canes too.

And btw............this teacher is not one bit interested in "religious neutrality."  Her faith kicked in hard when she tossed that poor kid's candy canes in the trash.

This has NOTHING to do with "time" to teach the three R's.

Young leftist teachers do that about as well as they practice religious "neutrality."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:57:36 PM »
If parents are as sick of this kind of stuff as I am - they should take their children out of public schools.  When they lose enough money, maybe things will change.

As a practical matter however, most cannot send their children to Parochial schools...let alone private schools. 

Furthermore, here in Maryland, the real estate taxes collected supposedly fund the education.   Oh wait....maybe it's the Maryland Lottery.  [/s]

Bottom line, there's no effective way other than home-schooling. 

This teacher was filled with pi$$ and vinegar to show the school administration that "I've got this!".  She tore the religious letters from the cellophane wrapping.

For somebody that grew up with a Catholic education by nuns and priests....it's anathema to me.

But I get it......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »
As a practical matter however, most cannot send their children to Parochial schools...let alone private schools. 

Furthermore, here in Maryland, the real estate taxes collected supposedly fund the education.   Oh wait....maybe it's the Maryland Lottery.  [/s]

Bottom line, there's no effective way other than home-schooling. 

This teacher was filled with pi$$ and vinegar to show the school administration that "I've got this!".  She tore the religious letters from the cellophane wrapping.

For somebody that grew up with a Catholic education by nuns and priests....it's anathema to me.

But I get it......

I would absolutely homeschool nowadays.  I know several homeschooled children and the education they received was superior to that of public schools.  I realize that, especially for a single parent, it might not be feasible to do - but in a two-income household, you gotta decide what your priority is.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
I would absolutely homeschool nowadays.  I know several homeschooled children and the education they received was superior to that of public schools.  I realize that, especially for a single parent, it might not be feasible to do - but in a two-income household, you gotta decide what your priority is.

My sister home-schooled her two youngest.  They're poster kids for home schooling.  BTW statistically home-schooled kids score higher on SATs, too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
My home-schooled niece has completed her first semester at college (at age 17) with a 3.0 GPA.  ^-^
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf