Author Topic: Gabby Giffords to mark shooting anniversary by skydiving  (Read 455 times)

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Gabby Giffords to mark shooting anniversary by skydiving
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Re: Gabby Giffords to mark shooting anniversary by skydiving
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »
Her - I admire. Her husband, not so much.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
Yeah......riiiiiight she wrote the piece for the NYT's
There are times it appears she's essentially become Mark Kelly's trained monkey.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
Yeah......riiiiiight she wrote the piece for the NYT's

Why not? Roger Ebert couldn't speak in the last years of his life and was constantly ill. Didn't even slow him down as one of the finest writers on movies ever.

What annoys me is the squib at the end.

Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic representative from Arizona from 2007 to 2012, is a founder of Americans for Responsible Solutions, which focuses on gun violence.

A good half of her time and attention is spent on improving mental health care access and diagnosis, both in and out of schools. Never gets mentioned. It should be. When was the last time someone not mentally ill went on a shooting spree?
We've all said it here, multiple times.

If anyone has the right to be fervently anti second amendment, it's her. Being shot in the head gives you a different perspective. Yet, she's not. May not agree with her totally, but dislike seeing her misrepresented.

Yeah - I'll shut up now.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
Why not? Roger Ebert couldn't speak in the last years of his life and was constantly ill. Didn't even slow him down as one of the finest writers on movies ever.

What annoys me is the squib at the end.

A good half of her time and attention is spent on improving mental health care access and diagnosis, both in and out of schools. Never gets mentioned. It should be. When was the last time someone not mentally ill went on a shooting spree?
We've all said it here, multiple times.

If anyone has the right to be fervently anti second amendment, it's her. Being shot in the head gives you a different perspective. Yet, she's not. May not agree with her totally, but dislike seeing her misrepresented.

Yeah - I'll shut up now.

Actually, one could say just the opposite, namely that being shot in the head might make you more pro-second amendment for the simple reason that if someone - including her - had been carrying the shooting might have stopped before she got hit.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Actually, one could say just the opposite, namely that being shot in the head might make you more pro-second amendment for the simple reason that if someone - including her - had been carrying the shooting might have stopped before she got hit.

True. It could go either way. Ban the thing that hurt you or try make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »
Being shot might justify her being in favor of better ways of dealing with the mentally ill but it's just stupidity to use it as an excuse to go after constitutional rights, which seems to be what she (or Kelly, whoever is actually doing the writing and talking on the issue) is doing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Being shot might justify her being in favor of better ways of dealing with the mentally ill but it's just stupidity to use it as an excuse to go after constitutional rights, which seems to be what she (or Kelly, whoever is actually doing the writing and talking on the issue) is doing.

I took a quick and dirty look at her voting - pre-shooting. A bit of a Lib on some things, but in an awful lot of ways, she'd have fit in well right here. Stronger borders, not exactly fond of bail outs, gun owner and enjoyed it.

I think - as she continues to improve - we're going to see a change in direction for this organization that is in her name,assuming she can get back control of it. She always was pro-2nd. Did some digging, didn't find anything in her own words about the usual left talking points.

Like I say - it was a quick and dirty search. Her hubby, OTOH, is a bit of a prat.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
There are times it appears she's essentially become Mark Kelly's trained monkey.

I agree.  I guess he can't make it in the limelight alone, so he continues to use her.  Encouraging something risky like skydiving when you've already suffered a horrendous insult to the brain is such a loving and caring way to go. 

And future political office?  There is no way that's going to happen for her.  But in this day and age, just putting the idea out there periodically is practically the same thing.   :thud:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf