Author Topic: Obama: 'If We Don't Provide Unemployment Insurance, It Makes It Harder For Them to Find a Job'  (Read 1003 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/01/07/Obama-If-We-Dont-Provide-Unemployment-Insurance-It-Makes-It-Harder-For-Them-To-Find-A-job

7 Jan 2014, 11:06 AM PDT
During a speech from the East Room of the White House on Tuesday:

"For a lot of people it's the only source of income they've got to support their families while they look for a new job. These aren't folks who are just sitting back, waiting for things to happen. They're out there actively looking for work. They desperately want work. But although the economy has been growing, and we've been adding new jobs, the truth of the matter is, is that the financial crisis was so devastating that there's still a lot of people who are struggling, and in fact if we don't provide unemployment insurance, it makes it harder for them to find a job."

"You heard Katherine's story. She's far more eloquent than I could ever be. She wrote me last month to say, please let those who think I'm sitting at home enjoying being unemployed know that I'd much rather be working. And I had a chance to talk to Katherine (sp), and I think it's pretty clear that that's the case. Katherine went on to say, I've applied to everything for which I'm possibly qualified, to no avail. I've worked hard all my life, paid taxes, voted, engaged in political discussion and made the ultimate sacrifice: My two sons serve in the U.S. military. Job loss is devastating, and if I could fix it myself, I would. I challenge any lawmaker to live without an income. (Laughter.) That's what Katherine said. It's hard."

video at link
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:58:03 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Non sequitur.

Unemployment insurance does little (if not nothing) to actually get companies to hire. You know what does? Reducing the cost of employment. Lower taxes, lower degree/education requirements (a master's degree holder commands a higher salary than a bachelor's holder, even though the bachelor probably can do most jobs just as well), and yes, perhaps easing the minimum wage. Yet the President, at every turn, wants to INCREASE the cost of employment, from minimum wage to the Obamacare employer mandate.

Getting the long-term unemployed and underemployed back to work in their fields requires more direct action than extending unemployment; in fact, there have been experiments that show after 6 months, most employers throw these peoples' resumes right in the circular file.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

Non sequitur.

Unemployment insurance does little (if not nothing) to actually get companies to hire. You know what does? Reducing the cost of employment. Lower taxes, lower degree/education requirements (a master's degree holder commands a higher salary than a bachelor's holder, even though the bachelor probably can do most jobs just as well), and yes, perhaps easing the minimum wage. Yet the President, at every turn, wants to INCREASE the cost of employment, from minimum wage to the Obamacare employer mandate.

Getting the long-term unemployed and underemployed back to work in their fields requires more direct action than extending unemployment; in fact, there have been experiments that show after 6 months, most employers throw these peoples' resumes right in the circular file.

Wasn't Ali Bama the one who unilaterally declared people on unemployment no long need to be looking for work? :pondering:  Given that he did, how is unemployment going to help get a job if people aren't even looking for work and given the above? :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:54:55 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Rapunzel

So says Mr. $4 million dollar vacation man...  I tell you what, Barry.  You are so concerned about income inequality...... give any of your income over - say $50,000 a year - to the treasury to be distributed to those at or below the $50,000 a year income level...  and stop your expensive vacations for yourself and your family..., as a matter of fact - give up AF1 and fly commercial like the Prime minister of the UK.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Obama's nonsensical comments remind me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine have this conversation:
ELAINE: Look, Jerry, we have to have sex to save the friendship.

JERRY: Sex… to save the friendship. Well, if we have to…
We have to keep paying people not to work ... to get them to work.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org