Author Topic: Family seeks answers in fatal shooting of mentally ill teen by North Carolina officer  (Read 565 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/07/state-investigating-fatal-shooting-mentally-ill-nc-teen-by-officer/?intcmp=latestnews

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation has launched an investigation into the shooting of a mentally ill teenager by a police officer in Boiling Springs Lakes over the weekend.

Brunswick County District Attorney Jon David asked for the investigation after the shooting Sunday afternoon. One of three officers involved in the shooting was placed on administrative leave on Sunday, WECT.com reported.

Family members said they called police after 18-year-old Keith Vidal picked up a screwdriver and threatened his mother. The boy's father, Mark Wilsey Sr., said that initially officers were able to calm his son, who suffers from schizophrenia.

Wilsey said that when a third officer arrived, his son became agitated. Officers used a stun gun on Vidal and then a shot was fired and Vidal was hit, he added.

Authorities say officers from three agencies responded. They have not released additional details.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
One mentally ill 18 year old with a screwdriver, and 3 "brave" policemen shoot him dead ?

Increasingly I lean towards officer training gone way, way too far towards preserving absolute officer safety by killing the threat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SouthTexas

One mentally ill 18 year old with a screwdriver, and 3 "brave" policemen shoot him dead ?

They shot him AFTER they tased him. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
They shot him AFTER they tased him.
Yeah. I read that. I also saw "mentally ill" and "screwdriver" too. At my advanced stage of life experiences, that doesn't signal life threatening.

But modern trained cops go into life threatening mode, at the slightest fear, apparently.

The other way is like Fullerton cops did with Kelly Thomas, also mentally ill. They taught him a lesson, by beating him to death.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln