Author Topic: Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure  (Read 852 times)

Offline happyg

Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »
Finley Boyle, a 3-year-old Hawaii girl who suffered massive brain injuries last month after a dental procedure, died late Friday.

A 3-year-old Hawaii girl who suffered massive brain injuries last month after a dental procedure died late Friday, said an attorney for the child's family.

Earlier this week, the family of Finley Boyle, 3, filed a lawsuit against dentist Lilly Geyer and Island Dentistry for Children in Honolulu, alleging that the child was given incorrect dosages of sedatives and that the hospital staff was not properly trained for emergencies.

3-year-old Hawaiian girl dies after dental procedure

3-year-old Hawaiian girl dies after dental procedure
 2 days ago 1:53 Views: 42k  Newsy 
On Dec. 3, Ashley Boyle took her young daughter to Island Dentistry for extensive dental work, which the family states in court documents was recommended by Dr. Geyer.

The planned procedures included four root canals and multiple cavity fillings, according to the documents.

The Boyle family's attorney L. Richard Fried Jr. said Saturday that the child was given "grossly excessive" amounts of sedatives, went into cardiac arrest and later suffered brain damage.

The family charges that the staff was improperly trained for emergencies and failed to check the patient's vital signs for 26 minutes.

"It ended up being a massive overdose," said Fried.

Island Dentistry for Children has closed permanently, according to a statement on the firm's website, which does not provide any further details or explanation.

Neither Dr. Geyer nor Island Dentistry immediately responded to requests for comment.

Finley's death follows a case in California that gained nationwide attention last month when 13-year-old Jahi McMath was declared brain dead after a tonsil surgery gone wrong at an Oakland children's hospital.

The McMath family and the hospital on Friday agreed on moving Jahi to a new facility without removing the ventilator keeping her heart and lungs working.
http://news.msn.com/us/hawaii-girl-3-dies-after-dental-procedure

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »
I would first have to ask why extensive dental work is needed on a 3-year old girl?    Those are all baby teeth. Unless she was in an accident requiring reconstructive surgery on her teeth her appointments should be rather routine. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:33:48 pm »
I would first have to ask why extensive dental work is needed on a 3-year old girl?    Those are all baby teeth. Unless she was in an accident requiring reconstructive surgery on her teeth her appointments should be rather routine.
I was going to say the same thing, Navy!

Why would a 3 year old child require anesthesaia for dental work?  Why would they even need a dentist?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »

If a 3 year old loses a baby tooth in an accident, you just wait until the permanent one comes in.

Unless someone knows something I don't, there's no reason for "extensive" dental surgery on a 3 year old.

A cleft palate would require surgery, but I'm not sure it's categorized as "dental."

(Could be wrong.................often am!)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »
The planned procedures included four root canals and multiple cavity fillings, according to the documents.

On a 3yo?...this is BS and sounds like this *dentist* was scamming this family!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »
There are kids with rotten teeth at young ages.  From staying on the bottle too long or too much fruit juice.  There are certain medications that can compromise teeth as well.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
My 2-year old did a face plant into the side of the bath tub and busted and shoved all his front teeth up into his gums. It was a horrible bloody mess that really freaked us out.   As bad as it was they never gave him a general anesthetic, then or when they became infected a year later.    The teeth over time did come back out on their own but they were chipped and broken, until they were replaced by his permenant teeth.

My wife and father-in-law are the dental professionals in the family. I’ll have to ask them later about this story to see what they say.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »
My 2-year old did a face plant into the side of the bath tub and busted and shoved all his front teeth up into his gums. It was a horrible bloody mess that really freaked us out.   As bad as it was they never gave him a general anesthetic, then or when they became infected a year later.    The teeth over time did come back out on their own but they were chipped and broken, until they were replaced by his permenant teeth.

My wife and father-in-law are the dental professionals in the family. I’ll have to ask them later about this story to see what they say.

The same thing happened to my granddaughter. She had to go around with chipped teeth until they fell out. Later, she had fillings, as her teeth tended to decay because of the injuries, but she was like 7 or 8 years old.  When she was 12, she got braces, and now, at almost 16, she has beautiful teeth.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:27:40 pm »
Navy ask your experts why a 3yo would need root canals...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline raml

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:36 pm »
Yes I was thinking the same thing root canals can only be done on permanent teeth baby teeth don't have roots. They don't even do root canals on young children my son at 12 had his permanent tooth broken half way up and they had to pull it because a root canal on a mouth still growing won't work. He had to get an implant at 20 when the dentist finally said his mouth was ready. We had good dental insurance and were willing to pay whatever was needed so it wasn't money that stopped the dentist from doing a root canal there is obviously reasons it can't be done on a young mouth. This whole thing seems nuts either the dentist was duping them and the mother not smart enough to know it or this is not what was being done to this small child.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »
The same thing happened to my granddaughter. She had to go around with chipped teeth until they fell out. Later, she had fillings, as her teeth tended to decay because of the injuries, but she was like 7 or 8 years old.  When she was 12, she got braces, and now, at almost 16, she has beautiful teeth.

Our son lost his front tooth in a little accident that occurred when his older brother and sister were twirling him around in the air and he went flying face first onto the floor.

He stayed toothless until his permanent tooth replaced it, and did just fine.

And my Dad was a dentist, and this is what he recommended.

No biggie to lose a baby tooth.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
There are kids with rotten teeth at young ages.  From staying on the bottle too long or too much fruit juice.  There are certain medications that can compromise teeth as well.

Now that's a possibility.  Extensive decay from too many bottles filled with sugary drinks.

Still don't know about root canals, though.

I'm going to check this story out with our oral surgeon friend.

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »
Root Canal Treatment for Primary (Baby) Teeth
By Dr. Robert Erdman March 11, 2012 Category: Dental Procedures Tags: root canal   
RootCanalTreatmentforPrimaryBabyTeeth
If you think your child is too young to need root canal treatment, think again — there is no age limit for this treatment. If his/her primary (baby) teeth have been injured, or if decay has advanced deep into the roots of your child's teeth, a root canal treatment to stabilize teeth may be needed. Root canal treatment removes infection from the pulp, the living tissue that is found inside the tooth's roots. The pulp contains the tooth's nerves, so tooth pain is often an indication that decay has moved into the pulp.

When performing root canal treatment on primary teeth, we must keep in mind that the primary teeth's roots will be resorbed as part of the normal process in which the body makes room for the growing permanent teeth that will take their place.

If a child experiences tooth pain that is related to changes of temperature or pressure, or exposure to sweet or acidic foods, the infection is likely to be minor and easily repaired. But if he or she feels a constant or throbbing pain regardless of stimulation, it may indicate an extensive infection of the pulp and surrounding area.

If the infection is advanced, the baby tooth may have to be removed. But if baby teeth are lost prematurely, a malocclusion (from “mal” meaning bad and “occlusion” meaning bite) can easily result; so we make every effort to keep the baby teeth in place to guide the permanent teeth that are forming underneath them, inside the child's jaw. In such cases an endodontist (from the root “endo” meaning inside and “dont” meaning tooth) or pediatric dentist may perform root canal treatment, removing the diseased and infected pulp from within the tooth's roots and replacing it with a substance that can be absorbed when it is time for the baby tooth's roots to be resorbed naturally.

When baby teeth are injured through a fall or blow to the face (referred to as traumatic injury) they may develop discoloration varying from yellow to dark gray. This is a sign of damage to the pulp tissues inside the tooth's roots. Dark gray discoloration often indicates that the pulp tissues have died. In such cases root canal treatment is needed to remove the dead tissue. If a tooth is completely knocked out of the child's mouth, most dentists agree that it should not be replanted because of the risk of damage to the developing tooth underneath.

Root canal treatment for baby teeth is a better choice than tooth removal if at all possible. It helps a child retain full function of their teeth, jaws and tongue, preventing speech problems, and it helps guide the permanent teeth into their proper places.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment to discuss your questions about treatment for children's teeth. You can also learn more by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Root Canal Treatment for Children's Teeth.”
http://www.roberterdmandds.com/blog/post/root-canal-treatment-for-primary-baby-teeth.html

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
Thanks happy...that makes sense....
Support the USO

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 01:16:21 am »
Right again Happy.   My wife says root canals for children are not unusual, and reminded me that my son had his  infected teeth [from the accident] root canaled, but the question is why there was no Anesthesiologists monitoring the patient the whole time?  When I had my impacted wisdom tooth pulled and they had to put me out, they went to all measures to make sure I was monitored. Every general anesthesia has risk of death.