Author Topic: 'Knockout game' as hate crime? Second Brooklyn man charged  (Read 1530 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
'Knockout game' as hate crime? Second Brooklyn man charged
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:13 am »
Christian Science Monitor By Mark Sappenfield 5 hours ago      With coverage of 'knockout game' attacks growing, so is prosecution of the attacks under federal and local hate-crime laws. Friday's arrest is the second in Jewish Brooklyn in six weeks. For the second time in six weeks, New York City police have arrested a man in Brooklyn and charged him with assault as a hate crime in connection with the "knockout game."

The arrest comes as a spate of attacks have focused national attention on the knockout game, in which an assailant tries to knock out an unsuspecting bystander with one punch. The attacks have stirred controversy over whether the game is part of a growing trend or whether national media coverage and social media have inflated isolated incidents.

Moreover, the Obama administration raised eyebrows when the US Justice Department on Dec. 26 charged a white man in Texas with a federal hate crime for attacking a black man as part of a knockout game, though the vast majority of recorded knockout assaults have been by black men against whites.

In the case announced by New York police Friday, Brooklyn resident Barry Baldwin, who is black, was arrested in connection with seven knockout game attacks. The assaults occurred from Nov. 9 to Dec. 27 in predominately Jewish sections of Brooklyn. All the alleged victims were women, including an elderly woman pushing a stroller and a mother walking with her daughter.

http://news.yahoo.com/39-knockout-game-39-hate-crime-second-brooklyn-213330640.html

There's something you don't see. A Black person charged with hate? I wonder if Holder and Obama will get involved to help him out.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

Re: 'Knockout game' as hate crime? Second Brooklyn man charged
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:51:15 am »
Christian Science Monitor By Mark Sappenfield 5 hours ago      With coverage of 'knockout game' attacks growing, so is prosecution of the attacks under federal and local hate-crime laws. Friday's arrest is the second in Jewish Brooklyn in six weeks. For the second time in six weeks, New York City police have arrested a man in Brooklyn and charged him with assault as a hate crime in connection with the "knockout game."

The arrest comes as a spate of attacks have focused national attention on the knockout game, in which an assailant tries to knock out an unsuspecting bystander with one punch. The attacks have stirred controversy over whether the game is part of a growing trend or whether national media coverage and social media have inflated isolated incidents.

Moreover, the Obama administration raised eyebrows when the US Justice Department on Dec. 26 charged a white man in Texas with a federal hate crime for attacking a black man as part of a knockout game, though the vast majority of recorded knockout assaults have been by black men against whites.

In the case announced by New York police Friday, Brooklyn resident Barry Baldwin, who is black, was arrested in connection with seven knockout game attacks. The assaults occurred from Nov. 9 to Dec. 27 in predominately Jewish sections of Brooklyn. All the alleged victims were women, including an elderly woman pushing a stroller and a mother walking with her daughter.

http://news.yahoo.com/39-knockout-game-39-hate-crime-second-brooklyn-213330640.html

There's something you don't see. A Black person charged with hate? I wonder if Holder and Obama will get involved to help him out.

I've no doubt there will be a lot of behind-the-scenes thuggery from the DOJ directed against the new DA for Brooklyn - probably full of veiled threats of a lack of cooperation and outright obstruction on any future cases - until the charges are dropped to simple assault.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:57:56 am »
The big question is would he have been charged with 'hate' if he had hit a White, Asian, or Hispanic?

I think we all know the answer.
A White man hitting a Black person is always 'hate'.
A Black man hitting a White person is not 'hate'. (I guess because White people deserve it?)

America is such a weird country.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:58 am »
The big question is would he have been charged with 'hate' if he had hit a White, Asian, or Hispanic?

I think we all know the answer.
A White man hitting a Black person is always 'hate'.
A Black man hitting a White person is not 'hate'. (I guess because White people deserve it?)

America is such a weird country.

Possibly.  The bigger question is whether the ADA who charged him is going to be able to stand up to the political thuggery he/she will now face, and whether the charges will be "mysteriously" dropped in favor of some lesser charges - or, even easier, the speedy trial clock be allowed to run out without the ADA having a valid indictment, or by simply not being ready for trial for a sufficient number of days.