Author Topic: NSA Refuses to Say if Agency Spies on Members of Congress  (Read 739 times)

Offline happyg

NSA Refuses to Say if Agency Spies on Members of Congress
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
Oliver Darcy

The National Security Administration won’t say whether or not they spy on members of Congress, only noting that the elected representatives enjoy the “same privacy protections as all U.S. persons.”

The response came after a “deeply concerned” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) sent a letter to the agency’s director on Friday demanding answers.

“Has the NSA spied, or is the NSA currently spying, on members of Congress or other American elected officials?” he asked.
But, in a statement obtained by CNN, the NSA failed to specifically address Sanders’ question or concerns.

“NSA’s authorities to collect signals intelligence data include procedures that protect the privacy of U.S. persons. Such protections are built into and cut across the entire process. Members of Congress have the same privacy protections as all U.S. persons,” the statement said.

“We will continue to work to ensure that all Members of Congress, including Sen. Sanders, have information about NSA’s mission, authorities, and programs to fully inform the discharge of their duties,” the statement added.

The news comes just days after Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced on Friday that he is filing a class-action lawsuit against the NSA for “snooping on the American people.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/05/nsa-refuses-to-say-if-agency-spies-on-members-of-congress/

Oceander

Re: NSA Refuses to Say if Agency Spies on Members of Congress
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:28:51 am »
Well, not every member of Congress, just those with an 'R' after their name.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:31:44 am »
Well, not every member of Congress, just those with an 'R' after their name.

The NSA must have found a helluva lot of stuff on the GOP. Maybe that's why they are milquetoast.  :shrug:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »
Well, if they aren't doing anything wrong, I guess they have nothing to worry about, do they?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
Well, if they aren't doing anything wrong, I guess they have nothing to worry about, do they?

exactly.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »
If any Senator had anything to worry about, that very well could be the Senator asking the question. 

The dishonorable Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)

:)

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote