Author Topic: ESPN host mocks conservative Texans as ‘hypocrites’ for defending Johnny Football [AUDIO]  (Read 1193 times)

Offline happyg

Colin Cowherd mocked “conservative” Texans for being “hypocrites” for supporting Johnny Manziel on Wednesday morning’s episode of “The Herd” on ESPN Radio.

Manziel, also known by his trademarked nickname Johnny Football, is Texas A&M’s quarterback who became the first freshman to ever win the Heisman trophy. He has been widely criticized this off-season for partying heavily and lying to cops about a brawl, and now is being investigated by the NCAA for allegedly selling his autograph for $7,500.

NCAA athletes are not allowed to profit off of their likeness while under scholarship.

“Here’s what I think’s funny about the Johnny Football story, Texas is a really conservative state. We all know that, nothing wrong with that, it’s a very conservative state,” Cowherd said.

He then continued in a redneck voice, “Man, in Texas they don’t like those loose-liven, pot-smoking, never accountable liberals. Those liberals, they break laws, and they lie through their teeth, and they do drugs when they shouldn’t be doing drugs. Those liberals.”

“Yet the state of Texas is defending Johnny Football,” Cowherd noted, “who once spent time in jail for lying to cops.”

“‘Well it’s all a matter of time, and he’s a young stallion,’” he continued in the same redneck voice. “Hypocrite. Come on Texas, you defend conservative values: police, laws, guidelines, borders. That’s who you are. All those A&M hypocrites, lined up, defending, [the man who] lied to cops. ‘Well I mean who doesn’t want to drink in college?’ I think we all probably did, but I wouldn’t have ever lied to cops. Especially if I’m the quarterback for my football team.”

“There’s only one side of the argument to be on: Johnny Football created this whole entire mess.”

“Tough talkin’, rigid, all-about-cops-and-laws Texas, all lining up today, defending a law-breaker, [who] lied to his coach, lied to his teammates, lied to the cops — I thought you were all about accountability in Texas? … And it makes you look like hypocrites,” Cowherd said.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/07/espn-host-mocks-conservative-texans-as-hypocrites-for-defending-johnny-football-audio/#ixzz2bL1cwpkp

Offline mountaineer

What the heck is he talking about? I think Manziel is obnoxious, but I'm not a Texan, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

What the heck is he talking about? I think Manziel is obnoxious, but I'm not a Texan, so I guess it doesn't matter.

A hardcore liberal taking an opportunity to bash conservatives and conservatism.

I'd have two questions for Mr. Cowherd, but he'd avoid them. His surname is simply a misspelling of coward. That said, the questions are:

All of Texas? Really? Cowherd has gone to Texas and found that absolutely everyone is supporting Manziel?

What is wrong with those conservative values? Even if those that say they adhere to them fall short, what's the problem? Do you somehow feel obeying the law is a bad idea? Do you dislike police? What is it that has your liberal panties in such a bunch?

I hope Fox1 comes soon, and is good, but I doubt it. Fox has a way of peeing on things to make them appeal to the lowest among potential viewers.

Offline GourmetDan

What is wrong with those conservative values? Even if those that say they adhere to them fall short, what's the problem? Do you somehow feel obeying the law is a bad idea? Do you dislike police? What is it that has your liberal panties in such a bunch?

Conservatives must be perfect or they are hypocrites.

Liberals are defined by 'do as we say, not as we do' and therefore cannot be hypocrites.

It's really simple to understand if you are a liberal...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

Jay Z eyes Johnny Manziel as next Roc Nation recruit
By Page Six Team
January 4, 2014 | 12:44am

Could Texas A&M’s stud quarterback Johnny Manziel be the next athlete to sign with Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports?

Speculation swelled that Manziel, who led a thrilling comeback over Duke in the Chick Fil-A Bowl, could be the next recruit for the rapper-turned-sports agent after the two partied at the same Miami club Thursday with a host of VIPs.

Jay Z performed at the BB&T Center in Florida, and, after a stop at Diddy’s Star Island mansion, arrived at nightclub Story in South Beach at 2 a.m. with a group including wife Beyoncé, Drake, Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes, Kelly Rowland, Michelle Williams, Rick Ross, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland and DJ Khaled.

Manziel — who drives a matte black Mercedes C63 AMG coupe*, is close friends with Drake and goes by the nickname “Johnny Football” — was later spotted hanging in the same VIP area where Jay and company occupied a table.

“He was in Jay’s area at Story,” a source told us, adding that the star QB arrived “very late” after Jay Z’s posse of 100 — “He may have only been there from 4 to 5 a.m.”

Another witness said that when Manziel arrived, he was handed a bottle of Ace of Spades champagne — which goes for $300 retail — and told by a club staffer, “Welcome to the gold-bottle life!” But the source said that Jay Z left just as Manziel arrived and they didn’t interact.

Jay Z got into hot water with the NFL Players Association last year for possibly running afoul of league rules in the recruitment of Geno Smith to Roc Nation Sports. But he was cleared of any wrongdoing. Agents are not allowed to recruit college players until they go pro.

Having finished his junior season, Manziel’s considered a top NFL recruit, but has yet to declare he’ll join the league. He won the Heisman Trophy in 2012, the only freshman ever to do so.

Roc Nation reps Robinson Cano and Victor Cruz and is rumored to be hoping to sign Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, who announced his intention to go pro this week. A Roc Nation rep didn’t get back to us.

*Engine:6.2L V8
Power:500 HP / 451 LB-FT
Transmission:7-Speed Auto
Base Price:$69,000 (est.)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Manziel may well be the best pure quarterback to come out since Joe Montana.  Talk about talent.  This kid gets BETTER when his team is behind and when he is personally under pressure.  I've never seen an athlete with such amazing presence and awareness since maybe Jason Kid in his early years. 

But.  He's obviously a loose cannon, and could well be headed off the cliff once he turns pro.  The same recklessness that makes him great on the field also threatens to make him a liability to any team he plays for.  It will be interesting to see who drafts him.

As a college professor, I encounter kids like Manziel all the time.  Of course, very few of them have the talent to go along with the brazenness.

And anyone who says Texans are being hypocritical for not criticizing a guy who likes women and beer does not understand Texas, of that I assure you.

Offline mountaineer

I was going to say "when he gets NFL money" but he clearly already has something other than paper route money if he's driving a car with a base price of $70K, but he already behaves like he's going to go hogwild with the parties, the glitz, the champagne, etc. once a contract is signed.
 Plus, I'm not sure his helter-skelter scrambling will fit into the pro game. It will be interesting to watch, though.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I was going to say "when he gets NFL money" but he clearly already has something other than paper route money if he's driving a car with a base price of $70K, but he already behaves like he's going to go hogwild with the parties, the glitz, the champagne, etc. once a contract is signed.
 Plus, I'm not sure his helter-skelter scrambling will fit into the pro game. It will be interesting to watch, though.

His parents are quite rich, so the lifestyle may not be anything suspicious.