Author Topic: Duel of the Superbattleships  (Read 294 times)

SPQR

Duel of the Superbattleships
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:54:48 AM »

Offline PzLdr

Re: Duel of the Superbattleships
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
BISMARCK wasn't sunk because of the hits he [ Lindemann refused to call his ship 'she' or 'her']suffered from PRINCE OF WALES. Despite the loss of fuel, and dimunition of speed to 27 knots [which was HGV's TOP speed], BISMARCK had broken free of the British fleet and was well on her way to safety in France, when a torpedo strike on her rudders from ARK ROYAL sent her back to the Brits. And as James Cameron proved, British torpedos from destroyers and H.M.S Dorsetshire did bupkus to BISMARCK. Although pounded into a flaming wreck by KGV and RODNEY, she only went down when the crew scuttled her.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »
Considering the almost epic inaccuracy of YAMATO at Leyte Gulf [the only battlewagon hitting anything was KONGO], I'd give the edge to IOWA.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:52 AM »
I recall during the Falklands war after HMS Sheffield was hit by an Exocet missile, a reporter asked the Skipper of USS Iowa what would happen if Iowa were to take such a hit.

His answer?  "We would call "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms!""

Battleships were designed to do battle with other battleships, and there is little short of a nuclear weapon that could seriously damage an Iowa class hull.  The biggest reason we have no battleships now is because they all were powered by oil fired boilers and it became prohibitively expensive to operate one.  Too bad we never built a nuclear powered battleship.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf