Author Topic: 20-Year Old Man Overcharged $45,000 for Appendectomy  (Read 692 times)

Offline Rapunzel

20-Year Old Man Overcharged $45,000 for Appendectomy
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline SouthTexas

Re: 20-Year Old Man Overcharged $45,000 for Appendectomy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
According to the Healthcare Blue Book, which allows patients to view the actual costs of medical services and treatments,

Have used the Kelly Blue Book on cars, but I did not know there was Blue Book for people too!

Offline Rapunzel

Re: 20-Year Old Man Overcharged $45,000 for Appendectomy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
According to the Healthcare Blue Book, which allows patients to view the actual costs of medical services and treatments,

Have used the Kelly Blue Book on cars, but I did not know there was Blue Book for people too!

There is a yearly approved amount list Medicare puts out once a year at the start of the year.  If a physician is a medicare provider they cannot be paid more than the approved amount.  If they are not a medicare provider they can charge more, but there is still a set amount they cannot exceed for any medicare patient.  If a physician is a provider PPO for any insurance company the company sets the fees - normally in the range medicare pays - but also sometimes less.  The patient then has a co-pay.  If you go out of network to a non-ppo provider you pay more and they can charge what they can get away with.  If you have to go into the hospital - better hope you go to an in-network hospital (not all are).....  I'd have to see the codes the hospital billed because it seems this is a awful lot of money to bill for an appendectomy unless there was other complications and the codes were added on to the bill. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:54:39 PM by Rapunzel »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf