Author Topic: Bill Nye ‘The Science Guy’ heads to Creation Museum to argue evolution  (Read 2335 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/3/bill-nye-science-guy-heads-creation-museum-argue-e/

Bill Nye “The Science Guy” is heading to Kentucky in the coming weeks to visit with the man who founded the Creation Museum — and debate and argue how creationist belief in the Old Testament is pure folly.

Mr. Nye posted a video only last year that said teaching the idea of creationism, rather than evolution, was harmful to children. So Ken Ham, founder of the Creation Museum, contacted Mr. Nye and invited him for a debate, The New York Post reported.

In a Facebook posting, Mr. Ham announced the event: “Well the big news for 2014 as we begin this new year is that in February, at the Creation Museum, I will be debating the well known Bill Nye The Science Guy! In the next day or so we will post more details including how you can buy tickets to this event. It’s quite rare these days for such a well known evolutionist to publicly debate a creationist — so we do expect a lot of media interest.”

The event, set for Feb. 4, is being billed, “Is Creation a Viable Model of Origins?” The New York Post said the museum will charge for admissio

Wanna bet Nye has no trouble teaching the Koran to kids?

Offline aligncare

There's no argument the universe was "created." Cosmologists acknowledge the Big Bang as the moment of creation. But, exactly how and why? That, they have no clue. This is a debate neither side can "win."

Oceander

There's no argument the universe was "created." Cosmologists acknowledge the Big Bang as the moment of creation. But, exactly how and why? That, they have no clue. This is a debate neither side can "win."

Not all cosmologists treat the Big Bang as the moment of creation, at least not of the Universe ab initio.  It was the start of this present Universe, but some theories posit that, e.g., the Big Bang was just the recoil (to but it plainly) from the collapse of an earlier universe.

Offline sinkspur

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/3/bill-nye-science-guy-heads-creation-museum-argue-e/

Wanna bet Nye has no trouble teaching the Koran to kids?

I'll bet that Nye will make this creationist look like a fool.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'll bet that Nye will make this creationist look like a fool.

Define the terms of the bet.

Make him look like a fool by demeaning and laughing at him? - not a hope that he'll do that, so name your stakes.

Make him look like a fool by resenting evidence and out arguing?  - no bet.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Nye won't even try to debate.  He will do what all anti-Christian bigots do, attack, defame, slander, etc.

I've seen him "discuss" creationism before; he is a nasty hate filled little man.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

Define the terms of the bet.

Make him look like a fool by demeaning and laughing at him? - not a hope that he'll do that, so name your stakes.

Make him look like a fool by resenting evidence and out arguing?  - no bet.

He will hopefully present evidence (there is plenty) and out arguing.  Creationism is harmless, really, but once a person has studied the bible from the historical-scriptural perspective, literal scriptural interpretation looks so childish.

Offline sinkspur

Nye won't even try to debate.  He will do what all anti-Christian bigots do, attack, defame, slander, etc.

I've seen him "discuss" creationism before; he is a nasty hate filled little man.

Nye may be anti-Christian, but accepting evolution is not anti-Christian.  In fact, it's the only perspective that makes sense.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Not all cosmologists treat the Big Bang as the moment of creation, at least not of the Universe ab initio.  It was the start of this present Universe, but some theories posit that, e.g., the Big Bang was just the recoil (to but it plainly) from the collapse of an earlier universe.

I've always likened it to a circle.  The beginning is also the end.  Doesn't Jesus say he is alpha and omega? 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Nye may be anti-Christian, but accepting evolution is not anti-Christian.  In fact, it's the only perspective that makes sense.

Hear, hear!

Two words... Theistic evolutionism.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:19:33 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Bill Nye ‘The Science Guy’ heads to Creation Museum to argue evolution
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:03:38 am »
Hear, hear!

Two words... Theistic evolutionism.

I prefer to call it evolution with the odd nudge as needed.  :tongue2:

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:10:52 am »

Precisely.  The evidence is overwhelming that God chose to make the world with evolution, not wave-the-magic-wand fiat.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »
Precisely.  The evidence is overwhelming that God chose to make the world with evolution, not wave-the-magic-wand fiat.

That is how I see it as well.. Besides, I don't think the early humans could have co exist with the Dinos. They could have been reptile food... 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 03:36:35 pm »
That is how I see it as well.. Besides, I don't think the early humans could have co exist with the Dinos. They could have been reptile food...

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »
Consider:

The covenant with Abraham (the point generally marking the start of Judeo-Christian religion) came hundreds of years— thousands, even— after the alleged seven day creation. The laws of Moses came many decades after that. That most likely means Genesis relied almost entirely on divine inspiration and lore. (In contrast, the New Testament relies largely on contemporary firsthand and secondhand accounts.)

Divine inspiration typically comes in dreams and visions, which are almost always considered symbolic (see especially Joseph and later Daniel) and in need of interpretation. Science has shown that such visions use symbols with which the seer is already familiar. In other words, they are not ever to be taken literally!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:00 am »
Consider:

The covenant with Abraham (the point generally marking the start of Judeo-Christian religion) came hundreds of years— thousands, even— after the alleged seven day creation. The laws of Moses came many decades after that. That most likely means Genesis relied almost entirely on divine inspiration and lore. (In contrast, the New Testament relies largely on contemporary firsthand and secondhand accounts.)

Divine inspiration typically comes in dreams and visions, which are almost always considered symbolic (see especially Joseph and later Daniel) and in need of interpretation. Science has shown that such visions use symbols with which the seer is already familiar. In other words, they are not ever to be taken literally!

Exactly.  Furthermore, even if something were portrayed literally, because it is only given in images and words for which the hearer cannot request more explanation, the meaning the viewer/hearer gets, and how he/she portrays it in turn, depends very much on the viewer/hearer's personal context; to give a trivial example, almost anyone from the Middle Ages who saw a gunfight would probably assume that the winner used magic to kill the loser because he/she would not have the necessary technological or intellectual context to grasp what the objects in the fighters' hands are, nor draw the conclusion that the loud noises each emits must be the result of internal explosions that propel projectiles at the other person.  That's a trivial example, I'm sure that more apt examples can be drawn.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:15 am »
I like that analogy, though a walkie talkie may be a more apt analogy.

I'm always reluctant to place limits on God. I'm flesh and blood, hauling around a soul in the universe God created from scratch. It's pretty good, but like all things it needs a slight nudge from time to time to keep going. Working out the way things work is not only fun but a duty, as far as I am concerned. We were not given intelligence and free will to sit on our asses, grunting and pointing.

We already know there are limits on what we can know.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
I like that analogy, though a walkie talkie may be a more apt analogy.

I'm always reluctant to place limits on God. I'm flesh and blood, hauling around a soul in the universe God created from scratch. It's pretty good, but like all things it needs a slight nudge from time to time to keep going. Working out the way things work is not only fun but a duty, as far as I am concerned. We were not given intelligence and free will to sit on our asses, grunting and pointing.

We already know there are limits on what we can know.

Or even better, one of today's smart phones (assuming we had cell service available!).