Author Topic:  (Read 893 times)

Offline flowers

« on: January 03, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
There's no argument the universe was "created." Cosmologists acknowledge the Big Bang as the moment of creation. But, exactly how and why? That, they have no clue. This is a debate neither side can "win."
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
There's no argument the universe was "created." Cosmologists acknowledge the Big Bang as the moment of creation. But, exactly how and why? That, they have no clue. This is a debate neither side can "win."

Not all cosmologists treat the Big Bang as the moment of creation, at least not of the Universe ab initio.  It was the start of this present Universe, but some theories posit that, e.g., the Big Bang was just the recoil (to but it plainly) from the collapse of an earlier universe.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/3/bill-nye-science-guy-heads-creation-museum-argue-e/

Wanna bet Nye has no trouble teaching the Koran to kids?

I'll bet that Nye will make this creationist look like a fool.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »
I'll bet that Nye will make this creationist look like a fool.

Define the terms of the bet.

Make him look like a fool by demeaning and laughing at him? - not a hope that he'll do that, so name your stakes.

Make him look like a fool by resenting evidence and out arguing?  - no bet.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »
Nye won't even try to debate.  He will do what all anti-Christian bigots do, attack, defame, slander, etc.

I've seen him "discuss" creationism before; he is a nasty hate filled little man.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:37 PM »
Define the terms of the bet.

Make him look like a fool by demeaning and laughing at him? - not a hope that he'll do that, so name your stakes.

Make him look like a fool by resenting evidence and out arguing?  - no bet.

He will hopefully present evidence (there is plenty) and out arguing.  Creationism is harmless, really, but once a person has studied the bible from the historical-scriptural perspective, literal scriptural interpretation looks so childish.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:31 PM »
Nye won't even try to debate.  He will do what all anti-Christian bigots do, attack, defame, slander, etc.

I've seen him "discuss" creationism before; he is a nasty hate filled little man.

Nye may be anti-Christian, but accepting evolution is not anti-Christian.  In fact, it's the only perspective that makes sense.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
Not all cosmologists treat the Big Bang as the moment of creation, at least not of the Universe ab initio.  It was the start of this present Universe, but some theories posit that, e.g., the Big Bang was just the recoil (to but it plainly) from the collapse of an earlier universe.

I've always likened it to a circle.  The beginning is also the end.  Doesn't Jesus say he is alpha and omega? 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:51 AM »
Nye may be anti-Christian, but accepting evolution is not anti-Christian.  In fact, it's the only perspective that makes sense.

Hear, hear!

Two words... Theistic evolutionism.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:19:33 AM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:38 AM »
Hear, hear!

Two words... Theistic evolutionism.

I prefer to call it evolution with the odd nudge as needed.  :tongue2:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:52 AM »

Precisely.  The evidence is overwhelming that God chose to make the world with evolution, not wave-the-magic-wand fiat.

Online kevindavis

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »
Precisely.  The evidence is overwhelming that God chose to make the world with evolution, not wave-the-magic-wand fiat.

That is how I see it as well.. Besides, I don't think the early humans could have co exist with the Dinos. They could have been reptile food... 
To Clear things up...

Mueller has been one of the most respected individuals on the planet over the last 20 years.

Mueller is a Republican

Mueller was appointed by Republicans

Mueller doesn't determine if someone is guilty, The Judge and Jury do!

Get it!!!!

“You can go to live in France, but you can't become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany, but you can't become a German... But anyone, from any corner of the world, can come to live in the United States and become an American.”

- Ronald Reagan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »
That is how I see it as well.. Besides, I don't think the early humans could have co exist with the Dinos. They could have been reptile food...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »
I like that analogy, though a walkie talkie may be a more apt analogy.

I'm always reluctant to place limits on God. I'm flesh and blood, hauling around a soul in the universe God created from scratch. It's pretty good, but like all things it needs a slight nudge from time to time to keep going. Working out the way things work is not only fun but a duty, as far as I am concerned. We were not given intelligence and free will to sit on our asses, grunting and pointing.

We already know there are limits on what we can know.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
I like that analogy, though a walkie talkie may be a more apt analogy.

I'm always reluctant to place limits on God. I'm flesh and blood, hauling around a soul in the universe God created from scratch. It's pretty good, but like all things it needs a slight nudge from time to time to keep going. Working out the way things work is not only fun but a duty, as far as I am concerned. We were not given intelligence and free will to sit on our asses, grunting and pointing.

We already know there are limits on what we can know.

Or even better, one of today's smart phones (assuming we had cell service available!).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf