Author Topic: Indianapolis Man Steals Brains Of Dead Mental Patients, Sells Them On Ebay  (Read 682 times)

Offline happyg

Excerpted from IndyStar: The details sound like the plot of a bad horror movie: Desperate for cash, a young man breaks into a warehouse to steal the brains of dead mental patients, and the body parts are later sold on eBay.

This story line, however, is real.

Authorities say David Charles, a 21-year-old Indianapolis resident, is accused of breaking into the Indiana Medical History Museum multiple times this year and stealing jars of human brain tissue and other preserved material. A tipster who paid hundreds of dollars on the online auction site helped bring the organ entrepreneurism to an end.

The museum, 3045 W. Vermont St., is the site of the former Central State Hospital, which served patients with psychiatric and mental disorders from 1848 to 1994. Indianapolis police had investigated several break-ins at the museum’s storage facility before a California phone call led police to Charles.

A San Diego man who had bought six jars of human brain tissue off eBay for $600, plus $70 shipping, called the museum after noticing labels on the containers and suspecting some kind of skulduggery, according to court documents.

Detectives with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department used that tip to trace the transactions, eventually speaking to the eBay seller who provided the brain tissue to the San Diego man. That seller had obtained the brain matter from Charles, police said.

Police set up a sting on Dec. 16. The eBay middleman arranged a meeting in the parking lot of a Southside Dairy Queen with Charles, who the day before stole 60 jars of human tissue from the museum, according to authorities and court documents.

Once the parking lot deal went down, authorities said, a bust was made. One person with Charles reached for a handgun and was tackled by officers, court documents said. His name and the names of others involved in the case were redacted in the documents.

Charles faces charges of theft, marijuana possession and paraphernalia possession, according to court documents. Investigators also are looking into the possibility of additional charges, said A.J. Deer, a spokesman for the Marion County prosecutor’s office.

Whether others are facing charges is unclear.

The museum’s executive director, in an interview with The Indianapolis Star, expressed dismay that anyone would steal the museum’s artifacts. The organ tissues come from about 2,000 patients whose remains were autopsied from about the 1890s through the 1940s. Keep Reading

http://patdollard.com/2014/01/indianapolis-man-steals-brains-of-dead-mental-patients-and-sells-them-on-ebay/

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Offline happyg

Funny movie! Even my grandkids liked it.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Funny movie! Even my grandkids liked it.

There was a 25th anniversary show several years ago that showed some of the out-takes...Cloris Leachman trying to keep a straight face while Gene Wilder did his very best to break her up every chance he got.  And Marty Feldman working on everyone....

Classic movie...I think we're on our second copy, as the original disappeared about the time our daughter moved out.....

Offline olde north church

The columnist has never watched "They Saved Hitler's Brain".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline happyg

Where did you find that avatar, Chief? Cracks me up!  :silly:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Where did you find that avatar, Chief? Cracks me up!  :silly:

I got a million of 'em....

:beer:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
For a minute I thought the headline said "brain dead mental patients" and figured he was stealing brains from members of Congress.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

A San Diego man who had bought six jars of human brain tissue off eBay for $600, plus $70 shipping, called the museum after noticing labels on the containers and suspecting some kind of skulduggery, according to court documents.

So he wouldn't have objected if the labels hadn't been there?  What on Earth was he doing buying human brain tissue off eBay for in the first place?  Did he have a nice chianti he needed to finish up?

Offline collins

I got a million of 'em....

:beer:

Okay, the story posted here is effin' weird, even for 2014, but who is that guy in your avatar?