Author Topic: MSNBC's Harris-Perry 'Born Into Large White Mormon Family'  (Read 1959 times)

Offline happyg

MSNBC's Harris-Perry 'Born Into Large White Mormon Family'
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
By John Nolte

Monday, via Twitter, Melissa Harris-Perry apologized to the Romney family for a segment on her Sunday MSNBC show that mocked Kieran Romney, Mitt Romney's adopted black grandson. The baby was mocked by Harris-Perry's panelists as a token who "doesn't belong there," while the MSNBC anchor chuckled along. As part of her apology, Harris-Perry said that she was a "black child born into [a] large white Mormon family."
Melissa Harris-Perry        ✔   @MHarrisPerry 
Follow
As black child born into large white Mormon family I feel familiarity w/ Romney family pic & never meant to suggest otherwise. #MHPapology

8:26 AM - 31 Dec 2013

267 Retweets   135 favorites 
If this is true, and we have no reason to doubt her, it makes Harris-Perry's decision to choose as comedy fodder a photo of Romney with his grandchildren, all the more perplexing.

The entire MSNBC segment was paneled by left-wing comedians who had apparently been invited to snark on things Harris-Perry found snark-worthy, including the Romney family photo.

This incident closed out a humiliating year for the left-wing MSNBC. The network's ratings have fallen and two of its anchors -- Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin -- were let go due to unprofessional and crude behavior. And just last month, Harris-Perry was widely ridiculed over a claim that the word "ObamaCare" was like the word "n*gger" and created by "right white men."

Other than sounding hysterical and paranoid, Harris-Perry was wrong on the facts.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/01/01/msnbc0harris-perry-born-into-white-mormon-family

Offline happyg

Re: MSNBC's Harris-Perry 'Born Into Large White Mormon Family'
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »
From Wiki:
Harris-Perry was born in Seattle but grew up in the outskirts of Richmond, Virginia attending Thomas Dale High School. Her father was the first dean of African-American Affairs at the University of Virginia.[1] Her mother, Diana Gray, who is white, taught at a community college and was working on her doctorate when they met.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Harris-Perry

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »

... it makes Harris-Perry's decision to choose as comedy fodder a photo of Romney with his grandchildren, all the more perplexing.

Not really.  Anecdotal I know, but I never knew a black child born into a white family that didn't have a chip on their shoulder and resent their family for not being 'black like them'.  Most considered their black fathers side to be their true 'family'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »
I don't know.....I would like to see the numbers/stats for the growth/shrinkage of MSNBC's viewership.

Realize that RUSH decided earlier last year to NOT play any clips of MSNBC...with the strategy that there's no reason for him to enhance MSNBC or to provided them legitimacy.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »
Steve Martin " was born a poor black child."

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »
Steve Martin " was born a poor black child."

:silly: Loved that movie! "I found my special purpose."  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »
Not really.  Anecdotal I know, but I never knew a black child born into a white family that didn't have a chip on their shoulder and resent their family for not being 'black like them'.  Most considered their black fathers side to be their true 'family'...

Some of our grand kids - white mother, Jamaican father - don't have a chip on their shoulder. Then again, their father works hard, loves them, promotes a serious work ethic in them and respects both his parents (his Dad is sadly deceased and was a wonderful man who it was an honor to know, but his Mom is very much alive and is not just the kid's grandma, but a close friend) and us as his in-laws. He's a good son to us, and won't take any of that entitlement crap.

Only ever heard him mention skin color once, back when they were first dating after her previous partner wisely did a runner. He asked me - very seriously - if I had problems with him being black. Only time it was ever mentioned.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »

Only ever heard him mention skin color once, back when they were first dating after her previous partner wisely did a runner. He asked me - very seriously - if I had problems with him being black. Only time it was ever mentioned.

I've never seen this mentioned but I think it's particularly difficult for the girls' self-esteem because their Dad didn't fall in love with a woman who looks like them...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline LambChop

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 05:18:56 pm »

WOW,  just  WOW.

And when the question is asked "how's that outreach thing going?"  I guess we can refer to statements like this one.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 05:43:33 pm »
I don't know.....I would like to see the numbers/stats for the growth/shrinkage of MSNBC's viewership.

Realize that RUSH decided earlier last year to NOT play any clips of MSNBC...with the strategy that there's no reason for him to enhance MSNBC or to provided them legitimacy.

From a Fox news article in November 2013:

November Ratings: MSNBC Loses 45% of Viewers

Compared to November of last year, MSNBC's viewership has nearly been cut in half and the "Lean Forward" network continues to get crushed by Fox News.

MSNBC:

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 645,000 Total Viewers / 190,000 A25-54

Total Day (Mon-Sun): 401,000 Total Viewers / 124,000 A25-54

Fox News:

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 2,011,000 total viewers / 348,000 A25-54

Total Day Mon-Sun): 1,201,000 total viewers / 248,000 A25-54

In total viewers, Fox News beats MSNBC by nearly 3-to-1. In the advertiser-coveted 25-54 demo, the ratio is closer to 2-to-1.

Compared to November of last year (a presidential election year), MSNBC is down 45% in total day viewers and 50% during primetime. Fox is down only 21% and 18%, respectively.

In the 25-54 demo, MSNBC is down 52% in total day compared to last year, and 57% during primetime. Fox news is down 30% and 41%, respectively.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:29 pm »
I've never seen this mentioned but I think it's particularly difficult for the girls' self-esteem because their Dad didn't fall in love with a woman who looks like them...

MLK, my friend. I don't look at the color of a man or woman's skin. I look at their character. Hurt one of mine and they will find out that skin may be easily removed and we are all the same color underneath.

My daughter's first partner (they married briefly) was so white you could use him as the after in a detergent commercial. He was also a complete scumbag and the day she booted him out we broke out the champagne.

She was alone for a bit, then started dating. Young woman, attractive (to her father's biased eyes). Of course she wasn't going to be a nun. First thing I knew about the guy she was serious about (apart from the fact he existed) was when she brought him round for dinner.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »

I hate white people! Especially that woman standing next to my father!!

More about Ms. Harris. Or Ms. Perry. Or both of them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »
MLK, my friend. I don't look at the color of a man or woman's skin. I look at their character. Hurt one of mine and they will find out that skin may be easily removed and we are all the same color underneath.

My daughter's first partner (they married briefly) was so white you could use him as the after in a detergent commercial. He was also a complete scumbag and the day she booted him out we broke out the champagne.

She was alone for a bit, then started dating. Young woman, attractive (to her father's biased eyes). Of course she wasn't going to be a nun. First thing I knew about the guy she was serious about (apart from the fact he existed) was when she brought him round for dinner.

I was talking about the self-esteem of the children.  Seen that many times in the girls too...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:47 pm »

I hate white people! Especially that woman standing next to my father!!

Yeah, that's usually how it goes...