Author Topic: Winter Storm Hercules Forecast: First Snowstorm of 2014 Targets Midwest, Northeast  (Read 6515 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via The Weather Channel: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-hercules-forecast-20131231

The first winter storm of 2014 is likely to pack a punch.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-weather-watch-2013-2014-20131002

Overview: Winter Storm Hercules will produce a long swath of snow from the Central Plains through the Northeast Wednesday through Friday morning. Strong winds Thursday night along coastal New England will produce blizzard conditions, at times. The next winter storm could spread a wide swath of snow across the Ohio Valley through the Great Lakes and Northeast during the latter part of the weekend.

That's all at present.

Take care, folks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:35:11 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/new-york-today-big-snowstorm/

New York Today: Big Snowstorm

Here’s what you need to know:

• Snow is already falling and may mix with freezing drizzle during the day. But significant accumulations are likely only after 7 p.m.

• There’s no impact on the morning commute so far. N.J. Transit is cross-honoring bus and train tickets systemwide.

• The evening commute could turn messy. Consider leaving work early.

• Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo warned that some suburban highways might close this afternoon. He advised commuters to use mass transit to get home. “We are looking at a serious storm situation,” Mr. Cuomo said.

• The city has issued a hazardous travel advisory for late tonight and Friday.

• Public schools in the city are open. Some suburban schools are closing early or closed altogether. (See list.)

• Alternate side of the street parking is suspended in the city.

• The forecast — a winter storm warning is in effect — calls for six to eight inches of snow by Friday, with the bulk of it falling overnight.

• Heavier snow is expected on Long Island, where a blizzard warning is in effect from 6 p.m. tonight to 1 p.m. Friday.

• Temperatures will hover around freezing today, with a high of 32, dropping to the teens overnight and staying there through Friday. Tomorrow night could get down to single digits.

• That, combined with winds gusting to 30 miles an hour, will make it feel like it’s below zero. Wear long johns. .

• A coastal flood watch is in effect tonight.

• Track the progress of city plows here.

• Advice from the Red Cross on preparing for winter storms here.

Online mountaineer

When did they (whoever "they" are) start giving names to winter storms?
We're expecting 3"-5" here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SouthTexas

Winter Storm Hercules

Really?  The global cooling/warming/climate change crowd is so desperate they are resorting to naming storms after a mythical hero?

Offline PzLdr

Did I miss something? Like winter storms A through G? :pondering:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline happyg

My son named the storm, WTF! He cleaned my walks and driveway twice. I have a snowblower, so it didn't take long. The problem was being zero, along with the wind and chill factor. We are under a weather advisory, but it looks like it let up. This gal isn't going outside, except to take the garbage out. Am hoping a grandkid shows up to do it for me.  :silly:

Offline musiclady

I think it's just the Weather Channel.............and it's stupid.

The first one I heard about was "Draco."  As in Draco Malfoy of Harry Potter fame.

These people are nuts.

Cold and snowy here, in the teens and very windy.

It's a good time to have a bad cold and have an excuse to stay inside for a few more days.....    ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

It's starting to come down pretty hard now. I just shoveled the driveway and it's already covered again.
I'm with you, ML - a few days of staying in, lighting a fire, eating chili ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Me too!

Offline happyg

Me too!

Me three! Drifting seems to be the major problem here. I did venture out to pick up my laptop from the computer shop. Stupid me! It was a nasty drive to and from the place, but there wasn't any traffic, so I took my good old time.

Offline Cincinnatus

Be safe, ladies, and all others adversely affected. Stayed inside, hunker down, share your ideas with the rest of us, and drink some hot chocolate with marshmallows. (Well hot chocolate sounds good to me anyway).

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

No wonder the traffic was wall-to-wall coming into town today... seems the snowbirds all decided to arrive at once.... oh and it's 66 at 7p.m...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

We're under a wind advisory now. Chill factor going to 15 below. Right now, it's -3. A friend ran off the road near Washington Courthouse. He posted on FB that other cars were off the road, too. The drifting is horrible. Though my walks were cleared twice today, my doors are blocked from drifting. We've been going in and out through the garage.

Offline Rapunzel

We're under a wind advisory now. Chill factor going to 15 below. Right now, it's -3. A friend ran off the road near Washington Courthouse. He posted on FB that other cars were off the road, too. The drifting is horrible. Though my walks were cleared twice today, my doors are blocked from drifting. We've been going in and out through the garage.

Stay indoors!  Its crazy to drive in this stuff.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
TWC naming these storms is just goofy.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

Stay indoors!  Its crazy to drive in this stuff.

I have no where to go. My son bought me a mini freezer for Christmas. It's half full with meat. I also have an extra frig in the garage full of food. Then, there is all the Christmas leftovers I froze. I'm going to get fat as heck if the weather stays like this.

My son just called. His power went out from the wind. I have two generators, so he's coming to pick the big one up. It will be difficult for him to get them started in this weather.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My son named the storm, WTF! He cleaned my walks and driveway twice. I have a snowblower, so it didn't take long. The problem was being zero, along with the wind and chill factor. We are under a weather advisory, but it looks like it let up. This gal isn't going outside, except to take the garbage out. Am hoping a grandkid shows up to do it for me.  :silly:

We got almost 4ins today...it is bitter cold...wind chill -15......brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

I have no where to go. My son bought me a mini freezer for Christmas. It's half full with meat. I also have an extra frig in the garage full of food. Then, there is all the Christmas leftovers I froze. I'm going to get fat as heck if the weather stays like this.

My son just called. His power went out from the wind. I have two generators, so he's coming to pick the big one up. It will be difficult for him to get them started in this weather.

Wow going to -15 and no power - sucks!  Hope your power stays on.

Offline happyg

Wow going to -15 and no power - sucks!  Hope your power stays on.

My other son lives right behind me. He has a huge generator, so I will be ok. My little one will take care of my needs. Tony lives on the other side of town, and has three kids.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Tell him to leave it in the car with the heater running for 20 minutes after he gets home. It'll warm up enough to start easily.

Offline musiclady

I canceled my rehearsals this evening.

We've got about -25 wind chill now, and if the temp dips like it's supposed to, our wind chill will be near -40.

I ain't goin' NO where! :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Coming down pretty hard here now.   I'm excited-where I am its the first decent snowfall this winter.   :woohoo:

Offline Rapunzel

Coming down pretty hard here now.   I'm excited-where I am its the first decent snowfall this winter.   :woohoo:

pictures!

rangerrebew

pictures!

Here in West Michigan, we are under a winter advisory which means it could snow, sleet, get freezing rain, rain, warm weather, lightning, tornadoes, frigid weather, overcast skies, clear skies, strong winds, and short days at any time. :silly:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
About 4 inches in Germantown, Maryland....a 20 minute drive to the Capital Beltway....schools are closed today  (buncha wusses) and the temperature is about 12 degrees.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald