Author Topic: University's List of Banned Words for 2014 Includes...  (Read 916 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
University's List of Banned Words for 2014 Includes...
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:55:16 am »
What kind of freedom of speech and exchange of ideas goes on in a University that publishes a yearly listing of banned words?

Ask Lake Superior State University, they release such a list every year.

This year's list includes some fairly innocuous and trendy worlds like "hashtag", "selfie" and "twerk/twerking", with explanations like ""People have taken pictures of themselves for almost as long as George Eastman's company made film and cameras. Suddenly, with the advent of smartphones, snapping a 'pic' of one's own image has acquired a vastly overused term that seems to pop up on almost every form of social media available to us….A self-snapped picture need not have a name all its own beyond 'photograph.' It may only be a matter of time before photos of one's self and a friend will become 'dualies.' LSSU has an almost self-imposed duty to carry out this banishment now."

One of the words caught my eye, as did the explanation:

The University banned the use of the word "Obamacare". Here's why:

Because President Obama’s signature healthcare law is actually called the Affordable Care Act. The term has been clearly overused and overblown by the media and by members of Congress.

At least they're not arguing that the use of the term is racist, as suggested by MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry:

So, if Obamacare is racist, is using Romneycare racist as well?

Is Michael Moore a racist scumbag, or just a scumbag?

Are American universities better off avoiding overused words like "Obamacare" and replacing them with outright lies like the Affordable Care Act?

Time will tell, but it won't take much longer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:32:16 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: University's List of Banned Words for 2014 Includes...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:09 am »

:beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:57 am »
Lake Superior State University (colloquially referred to as Lake State, Lake Superior State and LSSU) is a small public university in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It is Michigan's smallest public university with an enrollment around 3,000 students.

Uh, proto Fascists of LSSU, I really hate to be the one to tell you this but you are a taxpayer supported state school and you can't, despite your totalitarian tendencies, prohibit any speech. Try reading the 1st Amendment to the United State's Constitution or your own state's Constitution,
No law shall every be passed to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press; but every person may freely speak, write and publish his sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of such right.
, sec. 42 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/historical/miconstitution1850.htm).

See you in court.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:48 am »
Well, selfie and Obamacare are both negative racist words directed at Obama, doncha know.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:38 am »
It is just a joke, y'all realize.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:03 am »
It is just a joke, y'all realize.

Yes and no.

While they can't "ban" words, the choices of which worlds to include in the list tells a whole lot about the state of mind of the student body, and how it is influenced by talking points and the nomenclature offensives that progressives are so good at engaging in.

While one camp is out there making the word racist, the other is making it less than cool.

It's like the way that progressives are trying to redefine the right religious freedom as a right to "worship". That translates a boundless freedom to live your life in accordance to your religious beliefs into the freedom to hold services in a building.

Progressives transformed the entire abortion dialogue into a debate about the right of a person to make a choice, ignoring the fact that in reality, what they want is the right to rid themselves of the consequence of a bad choice.

Trying to change the law from being called Obamacare to The Affordable Care Act outs some distance between Barry and the unmitigated disaster that is his bill.

Changes in language are subtle and even silly at first, but the impact over the long range is significant.

Take the case of New York's new mayor.

To fight inequality you must take from many, to give to others.

It's theft, but idealistic theft.

So people cheered as he placed his left hand on a (suddenly and mysteriously missing) Bible and announced that the Fleecing of The Rich was about to enter into overdrive in the Big Apple.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:33 am »
NYC has been about government-as-theft ever since at least the end of WWII, when comprehensive theft known as "rent control" started as a quote emergency measure unquote.