Author Topic: TRICKY DICK: only Nixon less popular than President Obama in year 5  (Read 1203 times)

rangerrebew

TRICKY DICK: Only Nixon less popular than President Obama in Year 5

By Dave Boyer

-

The Washington Times

Monday, December 30, 2013

President Obama came into office promising to be the opposite of George W. Bush, but he is imitating his predecessor in one regard — his second-term slide in popularity is almost a mirror image of the Republican's declining fortunes in 2005.

Mr. Obama's job-approval ratings in most polls this month were 40 percent or lower, down from 54 percent at the start of the year and the lowest of his presidency. Mr. Bush's popularity in December 2005 stood at 43 percent, down from a high of 57 percent near the beginning of his second term and less than half the 90 percent-plus approval ratings in the days after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Only Watergate-plagued Richard Nixon had a worse rating than Mr. Obama at the same point of his presidency, in 1973. Although presidents tend to lose some public approval after winning second terms, Mr. Obama's numbers slipped more quickly than most others.

"The history of the presidency is like an hourglass with the sand running out," said Stephen Hess, a presidential historian at the left-leaning Brookings Institution. "There is a little bump up at the start of the fifth year, and then the downward trend continues. The problem here is that Obama had such a terrible fifth year. He blew that one opportunity he had to put some things together."

Almost from the moment of his reelection, Mr. Obama was sidetracked by scandals including the Internal Revenue Service targeting of conservative groups and revelations of widespread spying by the National Security Agency.

In October came the hapless launch of the Obamacare website and the public's realization that Mr. Obama didn't tell the truth when he assured consumers that they could keep their health insurance policies if that's what they preferred. The president's broken promise damaged his credibility and was chosen by an independent fact-checking group as the biggest political lie of 2013.

Asked about his plummeting numbers at a Dec. 20 news conference, Mr. Obama took refuge in the answer of all elected officials whose ratings are down: He is not worried about polls.

"I have now been in office five years, close to five years, was running for president for two years before that, and we have had ups and we have had downs," Mr. Obama said. "I took this job to deliver for the American people, and I knew and will continue to know that there are going to be ups and downs on it."

Political fallout

Mr. Obama doesn't have to face the ballot again, but many Democrats are openly worried that his low popularity numbers could drag down the party in the November midterm elections and could hand control of both houses of Congress to Republicans.

A CNN/ORC poll released Dec. 20 found that Mr. Obama's approval rating had dropped to 41 percent, matching an all-time low in the survey. CNN polling director Keating Holland said the president had lost significant support among women and young people, two voting blocs largely responsible for his 2012 re-election victory over Republican Mitt Romney.

The CNN poll found that the rise in disapproval of the president came equally from the right and the left of the political spectrum.

Mr. Bush said upon his re-election in 2004 that he intended to spend the political capital he had earned. But with the troubled war in Iraq and a failed push to partially privatize Social Security, he lost popularity rapidly and never regained it.

Mr. Obama hopes to change his fortunes with a shake-up of senior White House staff, including the hiring of former Bill Clinton aide John Podesta, but Mr. Hess said the moves are unlikely to reverse the downward trend.

"There's always some 'savior of the week' that comes in from the outside," Mr. Hess said. "It doesn't usually work that way and there's no reason to think it will in this case. You face the midterm election, which presidents always lose some seats."

Mr. Clinton's fifth year in the White House was better than Mr. Bush's or Mr. Obama's. His job approval rating in January 1997 was 62 percent, and his popularity never fell below 54 percent that year.

Even when the Monica Lewinsky scandal broke in January 1998, Mr. Clinton's job approval rating remained higher than 50 percent. His numbers peaked late that year at 73 percent as many Americans perceived his impeachment as an overreach by congressional Republicans.

Earlier this month, Mr. Obama's average approval rating dropped below 40 percent for the first time in his presidency, according to Real Clear Politics.

The Washington Post/ABC News poll in December found Mr. Obama's job approval rating at 43 percent, lower than Mr. Bush's rating of 47 percent in the same poll in 2005. All other post-World War II presidents had approval ratings higher than 50 percent except Mr. Nixon, whose rating stood at 29 percent.

On the question of whom respondents trust to do a better job with the nation's problems, Mr. Obama was tied with congressional Republicans at 41 percent each in the survey. Republicans, who had been trailing Democrats in "generic" polls asking voters which party they preferred, have reclaimed the advantage there as well.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/30/with-sagging-polls-barack-obama-follows-george-wbu/#ixzz2p9i2VnTD
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: TRICKY DICK: only Nixon less popular than President Obama in year 5
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
The big difference between Nixon, Bush and Obama is that Obama has had the press in his corner ignoring or covering up his messes for the past five years.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:36:08 pm »
The big difference between Nixon, Bush and Obama is that Obama has had the press in his corner ignoring or covering up his messes for the past five years.

Not only in his corner, but worshipping at his feet.

I have often wondered what his poll numbers would be if there were even a hint of journalism in the MSM.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
Not only in his corner, but worshipping at his feet.

I have often wondered what his poll numbers would be if there were even a hint of journalism in the MSM.

If there were even a hint of Journalism left in the MSM he would never have been elected in the first place, much less reelected.  He was allowed to run for office twice telling outright lies about Obamacare (and other things) that were obvious had the media any interest in looking in to what he was out there saying.  He was claiming that Obamacare would cut people's premiums by $2500 when he knew full well the legislation would do no such thing.

The media came close to derailing George W. Bush's campaign with an old DUI right before the election...imagine what that same group of journalists could have done to Obama with just Benghazi.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
If there were even a hint of Journalism left in the MSM he would never have been elected in the first place, much less reelected.  He was allowed to run for office twice telling outright lies about Obamacare (and other things) that were obvious had the media any interest in looking in to what he was out there saying.  He was claiming that Obamacare would cut people's premiums by $2500 when he knew full well the legislation would do no such thing.

The media came close to derailing George W. Bush's campaign with an old DUI right before the election...imagine what that same group of journalists could have done to Obama with just Benghazi.

You're absolutely right in that he wouldn't have been elected in the first place with an honest media.  Think about the digging that had to be done to come up with that 30 year old DUI (which, considering he's now a tee-totaller was completely irrelevant), and how even a modicum of research would have come up with dozens of more serious offenses with Obama.

I feel like we've been living in the Twilight Zone for five years............and when the American people were stupid enough to reelect him in 2008, I almost gave up on the country altogether.

A corrupt media working in lockstep with a corrupt administration is a frightening thing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:56 pm »
Were it not for the media protecting Obama at every crime, I' sure he would have been impeached by now.