Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Former First Lady Barbara Bush Hospitalized  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Rapunzel

BREAKING NEWS: Former First Lady Barbara Bush Hospitalized
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:48:53 am »
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24339330/breaking-news-former-first-lady-barbara-bush-hospitalized

BREAKING NEWS: Former First Lady Barbara Bush Hospitalized
Posted: Dec 31, 2013 6:22 PM Updated: Dec 31, 2013 6:22 PM
By Caroline Bleakley,

HOUSTON -- Former First Lady Barbara Bush was hospitalized Tuesday at Methodist Hospital and has been receiving treatment all day, according to Local 2, a Houston, Texas television station.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Former First Lady Barbara Bush Hospitalized
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:37 am »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/lady-barbara-bush-hospitalized/story?id=21387141

Former First Lady Barbara Bush Hospitalized
Dec. 31, 2013
By DEAN SCHABNER and GINA SUNSERI

Former first lady Barbara Bush was hospitalized today for early signs of pneumonia, a Houston hospital said.

Houston Methodist Hospital spokesman George Kovacik said she was admitted today, and said a statement from the family was expectedsoon.

Bush, 88, whose husband George H.W. Bush was president from 1989 to 1993, used her prominence as first lady to champion numerous civic and charitable causes, primarily as an advocate for global literacy.

In 1989, she formed the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which encourages parents to read to their children.

Famous during her tenure as first lady for her white hair and matronly manner, Bush embodied what many believed to be the traditionally dutiful political wife: silent on most issues, but enthusiastically supportive of her husband and family.

While serving as first lady in 1989, Bush revealed that she suffered from Graves' Disease, an autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid. She reportedly lost 18 pounds in three months because of the effects.

As bad luck would have it, President Bush and the Bush's family dog, Millie, also came down with the disease around the same time. Because of the bizarre coincidence, the Secret Service conducted water tests at locations which the first family frequented -- including the White House, the Bush home in Maine, Camp David and the vice president's mansion. Bush later began taking medications for the disease and received radiation as part of her treatment.

After experiencing abdominal pains, Bush was hospitalized at Methodist Hospital in November of 2008. She underwent laparoscopic surgery to close a hole in her small intestine which had been caused by an ulcer.

Four months later, Bush underwent precautionary open-heart surgery at the same hospital to replace her aortic valve. Hospital officials reported that the procedure was a success.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:24:08 am »
Prayers for dear Barbara Bush! 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:52:34 am »
Its that time of year.  My doc has me get a flu and a pneumonia shot...older folks are a lot more prone to pneumonia and it can be really tough on them.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:12 am »
Its that time of year.  My doc has me get a flu and a pneumonia shot...older folks are a lot more prone to pneumonia and it can be really tough on them.

Yeah I got my flu shot but I should have gotten a pneumonia shot too....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:17 am »
I always get my flu shot every year but the pneumonia shot should only be given every 5 years so I won't get that again till next year my last was in 2009. I am sure Barbara Bush's doctor has her have one at her age. I pray this will be a minor case due to that.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:20:08 pm »
I will check in on my soon-to-turn-89 mother today. She always gets the flu shot, but sometimes you need to remind older folks to drink enough fluids and eat even when they aren't hungry.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:43:54 pm »
Ex-first lady Barbara Bush leaves Houston hospital

HOUSTON (AP) — Former first lady Barbara Bush praised the staff of a Texas hospital where she spent nearly a week being treated for pneumonia before going home Saturday.

Jim McGrath, a spokesman for President George H.W. Bush and his wife, says doctors at Houston Methodist Hospital decided Saturday morning to allow Barbara Bush to go home. The 88-year-old Bush family matriarch had been hospitalized since Monday.

"I cannot thank the doctors and nurses at Houston Methodist enough for making sure I got the best treatment and got back to George and our dogs as quickly as possible," Bush said. The Bushes are well-known dog lovers and live in Houston.

McGrath had no immediate information on future treatment for Bush.

"She's great. She's had a couple of great days. She's responded well to the medication," McGrath said.

Now this is pretty darned impressive:

The nation's longest-married presidential first couple will celebrate their 69th wedding anniversary Monday.

http://www.charter.net/news/read/category/Top%20News/article/ap-exfirst_lady_barbara_bush_to_leave_texas-ap
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:26:35 am »
Glad to hear Barbara is out of the hospital and will be home in time to celebrate their 69th (Yikes........that's a long time!) anniversary!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.