Author Topic: Global warming scientists forced to admit defeat... because of too much ice: Stranded Antarctic ship's crew will be rescued by helicopter  (Read 752 times)

Offline GourmetDan

'We all know that there's a possibility of this becoming quite a protracted sit and wait,' said Andrew Peacock, a passenger onboard the Akademik Shokalskiy, speaking via satellite phone.

'I think people are just looking at that next step when that second icebreaker arrives.

'We really are just hoping that the two powerful icebreaker ships will provide the breakage of ice that we need.'

However, he said the ice floes appear to have built up dramatically overnight.

But it's summer.  Shouldn't the ice be melting and breaking up from globull warming?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

But it's summer.  Shouldn't the ice be melting and breaking up from globull warming?

You took the words right off my keyboard.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Mark Steyn was hilarious today talking about this as he subbed for Rush. Global warming, my Aunt Fanny.
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
From the looks of things, that ship is going to be right there for quite some time.  Best they can do is keep a skeleton crew aboard to keep things from freezing up completely.  Get some supplies air lifted in on one of those helos, hunker down and wait for the next thaw.

Offline Rapunzel

From the looks of things, that ship is going to be right there for quite some time.  Best they can do is keep a skeleton crew aboard to keep things from freezing up completely.  Get some supplies air lifted in on one of those helos, hunker down and wait for the next thaw.

I thought ice surrounding the ships cracked the hulls?

Offline SouthTexas

There is a distinct possibility of that happening.

11thCommandment

Didn't High Priest ALgore say it would all be gone by now?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Eventually, yes. Depends on the temperature and the wind as to how fast the pack ice builds up. Last report was -1Cfor temperature, so the ice won't be getting any thicker at the moment.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

I wonder what the odds are, of that ship getting out of there in one piece ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf