Author Topic: Rose Parade to Feature Same-Sex Wedding Float  (Read 807 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Rose Parade to Feature Same-Sex Wedding Float
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:43:34 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/28/Woman-Wants-Boycott-of-Rose-Parade-because-of-Gay-Wedding-on-Float

Rose Parade to Feature Same-Sex Wedding Float

by William Bigelow 29 Dec 2013

The Pasadena Star news reports that a San Diego woman has called for the Rose Parade to be boycotted because it will feature a gay wedding atop a float. The float, sponsored by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), is titled, “Love is the Best Protection.” The parade will be watched by an estimated 68 million people around the world.

San Diegan Karen Grube, who said her protest is not out of her religious convictions, and says she is opposed to having any wedding featured in the parade, has requested that corporate sponsors drop their funding of the parade if the wedding proceeds, asked the Tournament of Roses to ban the float, and established a Facebook page to look for additional supporters. Grube said, “Gay marriage is illegal in over 30 states, why would they promote something that is blatantly illegal? That’s just stupid.” She added that the Tournament shouldn’t support a “political agenda,” and concluded, “It used to be a family thing, to get up on New Year’s Day morning and watch the parade. It no longer is.”

Danny Leclair, one of the two hairdressers getting married on the float, said that some of the negative responses to the wedding are “heinous,” and continued, “It’s something that they don’t understand and so I expected it. We’re not dissuaded or upset or concerned. We’re simply acknowledging it … There’s a lot of people who think we’re doing this as a political statement. It couldn’t be further from the truth. Our stance is love is love and love will save lives.”

Ralph E. Shaffer, a professor emeritus of history at Cal Poly Pomona, disagreed, saying the wedding is an “in your face” act that might make people angrier toward gays. Shaffer, noting there will be several kisses between LeClair and his intended, Aubrey loots, added, “The problem is going to be the wedding kiss … I don’t know what the response is going to be.” he said.

AHF President Michael Weinstein said there was no political statement intended, and protesters should respect “the law of the land”:

There are as many opinions in the world as there are people, but our motivation is to validate the love that exists between same-sex couples and what we believe is the importance of validating these relationships in terms of protecting, particularly gay men from HIV and other STDs. We think the more we promote stable, long-term relationships, the better it will be.
Tournament of Roses officials stated, “Like all of our sponsors and float designers, AHF continues to help make the Rose Parade a premier event through original and creative expressions that connect to parade themes — as this float does.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

Re: Rose Parade to Feature Same-Sex Wedding Float
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »
Well, this may be the first year in decades that I have not watched a single minute of the Rose Parade.

(At least the Buckeyes aren't playing in the Rose Bowl this year.......  :whistle: )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »
She added that the Tournament shouldn’t support a “political agenda”
I agree. I don't believe any floats should be used to promote a political viewpoint, whether so-called gay marriage, abortion, gun rights, the Tea Party or anything else. Can we not just have a fun time watching a parade without someone trying to club us over the head with their "cause"?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:30 pm »
Well, this may be the first year in decades that I have not watched a single minute of the Rose Parade.

(At least the Buckeyes aren't playing in the Rose Bowl this year.......  :whistle: )

My first thought!  :silly:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:53:52 pm »
My first thought!  :silly:

Quite possibly the ONLY benefit to losing to Michigan State.  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
Heard there are going to be duck calls sounded as the float goes by.
 Hope this is true.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:07 pm »

Hope this is true.
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:17 pm »
 Hope this is true.

Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
 Hope this is true.

HA!!  That would be fantastic!

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:55:39 pm »
I agree. I don't believe any floats should be used to promote a political viewpoint, whether so-called gay marriage, abortion, gun rights, the Tea Party or anything else. Can we not just have a fun time watching a parade without someone trying to club us over the head with their "cause"?

No.  Its all politics all the time with these people.  They don't know anything else.   

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »
No.  Its all politics all the time with these people.  They don't know anything else.

Like the Wellstone funeral 365 days a year.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776