Author Topic: Missouri Bill Requires Both Parents Be Notified for Minor's Abortion  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/28/Missouri-Bill-Requires-Both-Parents-Permission-for-Abortion

Missouri Bill Requires Both Parents Be Notified for Minor's Abortion

by Mary Chastain 29 Dec 2013

Missouri District 124 Representative Rocky Miller filed House Bill 1192, which would require that both parents be notified before their child receives an abortion.

Currently, only one parent’s permission is required for an abortion. A personal situation inspired Miller to write the bill that would require both.

Miller explains that eight years ago, he learned that his daughter, a minor, was pregnant. He was divorced, with joint custody of his daughter, and amid the swirling emotions of that moment, Miller says he was simply resolved that as long as she was in his custody, abortion would not be an option.

They all discussed the issue at length. When his daughter admitted she was not really clear on what an abortion was, Miller told her, “Go search it on the Internet.”

“When she came back downstairs, her face was gray,” he said.

The family arrived at a solution: Miller offered to let his daughter live—as much as she could—the life of a normal teenager, while he and his wife raised the child.

Eight years later, Miller expresses his joy at having a grandchild with whom he is very close. But he reflects on how things could have gone differently. Under current Missouri law, in a situation where a child’s parents are separated—or even just not communicating well—a serious medical procedure (an abortion) could be performed on that child with the knowledge and consent of only one parent or guardian.

Abortion is a touchy subject, but Miller hopes his bill will find common ground between both pro-life and pro-choice advocates since his bill only makes sure both parents know what happens in their child’s life. He has only received positive feedback about the bill.

“However, I foresee some negative in the future,” Miller told Breitbart News. “This bill is a positive change and avoids a serious medical procedure being performed on their minor child without their knowledge.”

Representative Ron Hicks filed House Bill 1148, which will require a woman to receive an ultrasound and a 24-hour waiting period before an abortion. In Texas, the legislation passed a bill that banned abortions after 20 weeks and required doctors to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. Breitbart News asked Miller if other states may follow his lead.

“I would be shocked if other states are not already doing this,” he said. “This bill just allows for all custodial parents to be notified about a medical procedure to be performed on their minor child.”

Planned Parenthood stood by Texas State Senator Wendy Davis when she filibustered the Texas law. Miller has not received any reaction from them or NARAL.

“None so far,” he said. “I would imagine since their business has suffered due to the ease of gaining information on the procedure they aid in having performed, they will not like any more information brought to light.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

Re: Missouri Bill Requires Both Parents Be Notified for Minor's Abortion
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »
Education about how brutal abortion is, and how very real the baby is being brutalized is the reason there are less abortions these days.

This is a good bill.

Wonder how long it will be before the Death Demons start hissing and screeching to rip it to shreds?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:50:25 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:51:45 pm »
Look how they squealed in VA over a requirement for ultrasound before the procedure.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »
Look how they squealed in VA over a requirement for ultrasound before the procedure.

The only way the left can keep up the lie that abortion is good for women is to hide all the evidence about what it really is.

Their façade of "women's rights" is falling down, but it doesn't keep them from attacking.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
The only way the left can keep up the lie that abortion is good for women is to hide all the evidence about what it really is.

Their façade of "women's rights" is falling down, but it doesn't keep them from attacking.

I can't believe women fall for this so called GOP war on women.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:18:01 pm »

I can't believe women fall for this so called GOP war on women.

Unfortunately it seems that a number of our gender are dumber than a box of rocks, Rapunzel.

It's embarrassing......  **nononono*

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:57:43 pm »
Unfortunately it seems that a number of our gender are dumber than a box of rocks, Rapunzel.

It's embarrassing......  **nononono*

Its the degradation of women overall.  Yesterday afternoon I was watching The Bucket List on CMT and every break was advertising for a new program starting in January called Party Down South - it is the antithisis of Duck Dynasty and the commercials made me wonder who is raising these girls.

http://www.cmt.com/show/party-down-south/series.jhtml

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »
I have one mild problem with this bill. The idea is sound, but it misses one important thing - human nature.

We all know of stories (or personally know families) where the divorce was bitter and one party sees the children as a weapon to hurt their ex. What provisions are in place to prevent this from happening?

In an ideal world, people would behave as Rep. Miller and his ex-wife did. Discuss it rationally and thoughtfully to come up with a solution. The world is not ideal.

And what of divorces with sole custody? Should the other parent suddenly have an input when they have no other rights? That is going to lead to some fearsome legal tangles.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:15:37 pm »
I have one mild problem with this bill. The idea is sound, but it misses one important thing - human nature.

We all know of stories (or personally know families) where the divorce was bitter and one party sees the children as a weapon to hurt their ex. What provisions are in place to prevent this from happening?

In an ideal world, people would behave as Rep. Miller and his ex-wife did. Discuss it rationally and thoughtfully to come up with a solution. The world is not ideal.

And what of divorces with sole custody? Should the other parent suddenly have an input when they have no other rights? That is going to lead to some fearsome legal tangles.

You already cannot place a child for adoption without both parents signing approval, why should this be any different?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:22 pm »
And what of divorces with sole custody? Should the other parent suddenly have an input when they have no other rights?
Sole custody doesn't necessarily mean the other parent has no rights.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:46 pm »
You already cannot place a child for adoption without both parents signing approval, why should this be any different?

Because you are not discussing your child. You are discussing the child of your child, at probably the most stressing time of their life. Yes, the baby can be given up for adoption if the mother and father both approve. Those would not be you. Those would be your daughter and whoever got her pregnant. Look, Juno was a nice movie. Life is rarely that supportive, even though it should be. Divorces can be hugely bitter and that translates into using whatever weapons you can to hurt your ex.

Take my next door neighbor. She suddenly walks out to the car one day with a baby. Saw her almost daily and there was no way she was pregnant. Didn't see her eldest daughter (15 at the time) at all for about 6 months.
They chose to do what Rep. Miller did, and not a one of us will dispute that the little girl, now 3 years old, is her daughter instead of her grand daughter, even though we all know differently.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »
Because you are not discussing your child. You are discussing the child of your child, at probably the most stressing time of their life. Yes, the baby can be given up for adoption if the mother and father both approve. Those would not be you. Those would be your daughter and whoever got her pregnant. Look, Juno was a nice movie. Life is rarely that supportive, even though it should be. Divorces can be hugely bitter and that translates into using whatever weapons you can to hurt your ex.

Take my next door neighbor. She suddenly walks out to the car one day with a baby. Saw her almost daily and there was no way she was pregnant. Didn't see her eldest daughter (15 at the time) at all for about 6 months.
They chose to do what Rep. Miller did, and not a one of us will dispute that the little girl, now 3 years old, is her daughter instead of her grand daughter, even though we all know differently.

This is strictly to do with no abortion without both signing approval for the abortion.... which is as it should be - just as with adoption.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:58 am »
This is strictly to do with no abortion without both signing approval for the abortion.... which is as it should be - just as with adoption.

I get that - but what if one refuses? Not thinking an active and involved parent here, but one who hates his ex-wife with a passion and is willing to hurt his daughter to hurt her.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:08 am »
I get that - but what if one refuses? Not thinking an active and involved parent here, but one who hates his ex-wife with a passion and is willing to hurt his daughter to hurt her.

If the boy wants to raise the child why should it be aborted?..  why should it be aborted anyway, but especially if someone wants to raise it or have it placed for adoption.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 12:22:56 am »
If the boy wants to raise the child why should it be aborted?..  why should it be aborted anyway, but especially if someone wants to raise it or have it placed for adoption.

I think we are talking past each other here. Could well be my fault.

My reading of the bill / article is that both parents of the pregnant minor need to give consent to the abortion. Not the pregnant girl and whoever got her pregnant. Am I misreading?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 12:28:46 am »
I think we are talking past each other here. Could well be my fault.

My reading of the bill / article is that both parents of the pregnant minor need to give consent to the abortion. Not the pregnant girl and whoever got her pregnant. Am I misreading?

Yes, you are correct.   I think that is as it should be.  Even if parents are divorced both should be involved in the child's life decisions...  in California the legislature took the decision away from either parent and the school nurse can take a girl for an abortion and never notify any parents.   These are family decisions, not schools and no parents or one parent and not the other....

and yes I think the child's father should also agree to this......

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 12:37:56 am »
Yes, you are correct.   I think that is as it should be.  Even if parents are divorced both should be involved in the child's life decisions...  in California the legislature took the decision away from either parent and the school nurse can take a girl for an abortion and never notify any parents.   These are family decisions, not schools and no parents or one parent and not the other....

and yes I think the child's father should also agree to this......

Totally agree. It is a family decision. All of the family, including the father and (if he is also a minor) the father's parents should at least have a say in the matter. The idea behind the bill I totally, 100% approve of.

My sole concern is: Pregnant minor says yes to an abortion, her father, who she lives with, says yes to an abortion and her mother, who she sees once a month, says no. Is there a scale in the bill to prioritize this conflict? All the mother has to do is refuse for 16 weeks or so and the question becomes moot - at least in civilized states.

Admittedly, I flicked the sexes from the usual custody, but it still applies.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 12:39:22 am »
Totally agree. It is a family decision. All of the family, including the father and (if he is also a minor) the father's parents should at least have a say in the matter. The idea behind the bill I totally, 100% approve of.

My sole concern is: Pregnant minor says yes to an abortion, her father, who she lives with, says yes to an abortion and her mother, who she sees once a month, says no. Is there a scale in the bill to prioritize this conflict? All the mother has to do is refuse for 16 weeks or so and the question becomes moot - at least in civilized states.

Don't know, but in this country in light of a conflict like that usually a court gets into the act... we are a litigious society afterall.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 12:50:43 am »
Don't know, but in this country in light of a conflict like that usually a court gets into the act... we are a litigious society afterall.

Courts move slowly. Getting on to the docket can take more than 12 weeks, and it is a fair bet that the daughter will be 4 to 6 weeks pregnant before she notices. Doesn't leave much time for an approved abortion to be carried out, and the more developed the child, the more risk to the mother.

A decision on abortion - no matter which way the family eventually decides - has a very tight time line, unless the state wants to allow abortions into the third trimester. Hence my concern. If the bill addresses this problem - then it's all good in my book. Well - not good, you know my opinion on abortion, but not my business any more.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 01:24:37 am »

In other words.

The interests of the child in question would be better served by an additional line written into the law: both parents OR custodial parent.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:59 am »
The left will fight this tooth and nail since the blood of unborn children is their ultimate sacrifice on the alter of liberalism.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 01:54:00 am »
In other words.

The interests of the child in question would be better served by an additional line written into the law: both parents OR custodial parent.

That would solve my concern, totally.

There are kids out there who never see their father - in many cases they have no idea who their father is. That line on their birth certificate is blank. Yey the law tends to be interpreted as narrowly as possible by bureaucrats.

It is still a good idea - just not quite thought through.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 03:31:33 am »
[[ Yes, you are correct.   I think that is as it should be.  Even if parents are divorced both should be involved in the child's life decisions...]]

Ideally, that's true. But realistically, it may in some cases be all-but impossible to accomplish.

I'm just a realist in that regard.

Fearless prediction:
If enacted into law, this bill isn't going to survive the Constitutional test, even with the current U.S. Supreme Court makeup.