Author Topic: Family of Brain-Dead Girl Has Only Hours to Find New Facility Before Hospital Could Pull the Plug  (Read 486 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline sinkspur

This is kinda sad; the mother simply will not accept that her daughter is dead.   If the county coroner declares her dead, then by law she cannot be transferred to another hospital.

Why any hospital would agree to take on what could become a legal nightmare is beyond me.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

This is kinda sad; the mother simply will not accept that her daughter is dead.   If the county coroner declares her dead, then by law she cannot be transferred to another hospital.

Why any hospital would agree to take on what could become a legal nightmare is beyond me.

Hospitals are placed in impossible situations by families who refuse to accept that their loved one has died and is not coming back.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline mountaineer

I feel so sorry for the family, but it really does look like they just don't want to face this sad reality of her death.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. It is sad.

But let her go. Switch off the machines.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

I feel so sorry for the family, but it really does look like they just don't want to face this sad reality of her death.

I don't think these things should be forced on families like this.  They will always believe that they killed their daughter if they allow the machine to be turned off now.  You have no idea how hard it is...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

I don't think these things should be forced on families like this.  They will always believe that they killed their daughter if they allow the machine to be turned off now.  You have no idea how hard it is...

I had to do it with my husband.   I knew he would have wanted me to do it because we actually discussed these things..   They don't just turn off the machines, they remove you from the room and then remove all the tubes and administer morphine to the patient.  He breathed on his own for about 20 minutes and then stopped.

Offline Millee

There's no winners in this story.  So horribly, horribly sad. 

Offline Rapunzel

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
I wonder what this type of aftercare, costs per day? Is it covered under Obama care?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

I wonder what this type of aftercare, costs per day? Is it covered under Obama care?

If I was to hazard a guess this child is on Medi-Cal.  Which means you and I are paying for this... and begs the question why New York has a hospital willing to take her since they would have to bill CA for the cost and wait to be reimbursed,

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
If the machine is the only thing keeping her alive, then she's already dead.  Turn it off.  It's not like she'd live for days or weeks before dying of dehydration or starvation.

I pray I am never in a position to have to make such a decision, or to have it made about me.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

If the machine is the only thing keeping her alive, then she's already dead.  Turn it off.  It's not like she'd live for days or weeks before dying of dehydration or starvation.

I pray I am never in a position to have to make such a decision, or to have it made about me.

They likely have her on a drip as well as a respirator. If she is brain dead then she wouldn't live long off the respirator. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf