Author Topic: Shark Photobomb: Shadowy Monster Slips Into Pic of Boys in Surf  (Read 3559 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shark Photobomb: Shadowy Monster Slips Into Pic of Boys in Surf
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/shark-photobomb-shadowy-monster/2013/12/30/id/544301

Shark Photobomb: Shadowy Monster Slips Into Pic of Boys in Surf

Monday, 30 Dec 2013 07:50 AM

By Alexandra Ward

Two boys surfing at a California beach last week may have gotten photobombed by a shark in the newest viral image making the Internet rounds.

June Emerson and her 12-year-old twins spent Friday swimming and surfing at Manhattan Beach, but had no clue that they were just feet away from a shadowy, shark-like animal.

As her son Quinn and his friend caught some waves, Emerson sat on the beach and took pictures. It wasn't until later that night when she was reviewing her pictures that she noticed a third figure in the shot.

"It was quite a shock to see. I'm not sure what it was, but it definitely scared me when I thought it might be a shark," she told KTLA.com. "Many local surfers and lifeguards have seen this and believe it to be a shark. Of course, I told my kids it was dolphin, as we live at the beach and are in the waters here almost daily."

Suriously scurry! Did you see this shark photobomb?!?! http://t.co/I8LfFHiy12 pic.twitter.com/gmO95sMesv
    — Stephanie Abrams (@StephanieAbrams) December 30, 2013

Emerson uploaded the picture to Facebook with the caption, "Another beautiful day at the beach. Big waves and apparently Big Fish! (Look into wave to right of Quinn Emerson, who's out catching a few!) — Manhattan Beach, California."

Manhattan Beach is not an altogether uncommon place for shark sightings, experts told KTLA.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

Re: Shark Photobomb: Shadowy Monster Slips Into Pic of Boys in Surf
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »
Of course, I told my kids it was dolphin, as we live at the beach and are in the waters here almost daily."

Yes, that will work. Pretend hard enough and it shall be so

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:08:30 pm »
Blue Shark?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:48:23 pm »
I know it's scary, but that is a really cool pic!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
Two boys surfing at a California beach last week...June Emerson and her 12-year-old twins spent Friday swimming and surfing at Manhattan Beach

December in Southern California.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
Blue Shark?

Too big and they usually don't troll the surf line looking for snacks.  Can't be sure but it is big enough to be a Great White; I have no idea how likely that is, but for certain that is one big fish....

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:45 pm »
Photoshop?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
That's not a shark, it's a dolphin.  Look at the tail.  Sharks have vertical tails, the flukes point up and down.  Dolphins (like all whales) have horizontal tails, the flukes point sideways.  It also has the same arch between the dorsal and the tail that dolphins have, indicating that it's swimming in the normal position, not on its side - something that the dorsal fin itself should make clear.

It could be a photoshop, but in either case, that's a dolphin, not a shark.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »
Too big and they usually don't troll the surf line looking for snacks.  Can't be sure but it is big enough to be a Great White; I have no idea how likely that is, but for certain that is one big fish....

I would guess a Spinner Shark based on the size and shape. Spinner sharks also like the surf, they follow it close to shore to get fish caught up in it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:20:52 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
That's not a shark, it's a dolphin.  Look at the tail.  Sharks have vertical tails, the flukes point up and down.  Dolphins (like all whales) have horizontal tails, the flukes point sideways.  It also has the same arch between the dorsal and the tail that dolphins have, indicating that it's swimming in the normal position, not on its side - something that the dorsal fin itself should make clear.

It could be a photoshop, but in either case, that's a dolphin, not a shark.

Or the body/tail is at an angle to the viewer.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:27 pm »
I would guess a Spinner Shark based on the size and shape. Spinner sharks also like the surf, they follow it close to shore to get fish caught up in it.

The tail fins are all wrong.  Take a closer look at the tail in the original pic.