Author Topic: CNN: media overreacted to Boston Marathon bombing  (Read 571 times)

rangerrebew

CNN: media overreacted to Boston Marathon bombing
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:18 am »
CNN: Media Overreacted to Boston Marathon Bombing

Posted By Daniel Greenfield On December 29, 2013 @ 11:15 am In The Point | 6 Comments

Apparently two bombs by two Muslim terrorists who remained at large and continued their killing spree afterward, at a national event that killed several people, including an 8-year-old boy, and wounded 264 people, leading to 16 amputations, led to a media “overreaction“.

But when a Democratic Congresswoman was wounded by a lunatic who was caught at the scene, there was no overreaction.

BRIAN STELTER, CNN SENIOR MEDIA CORRESPONDENT: You know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I wonder if the press overall in retrospect overreacted to the attacks in Boston. It was a very scary week. I was scared along with the rest of the country.

In retrospect I wonder if there was an overreaction in the press because considering the relatively low — low number of deaths and injuries. Now whether it was taken out of proportion, given all the other violence we see all the time. Because the word “terrorism” was applied, I think there may have been an overreaction for that reason.

Stelter, another of CNN’s repulsive cretins, neglects to mention that the relatively low rate of deaths was due to on-the-scene medical heroism and rapid hospital preparedness.

The first wave arrived with similar injuries: severed limbs, open fractures and puncture wounds from shrapnel. We worked to control patients’ bleeding, to “reduce,” or set, their badly broken bones in an effort to save their limbs, and to administer medication to help their pain and prevent infection.

No doubt Brian Stelter and CNN think the hospitals also overreacted.

“Then the second explosion happened, and the screaming and chaos began,” Beattie says. “I grabbed my cell phone and I texted my wife: ‘Bombs at marathon. I’m okay.’”

Dr. Beattie then sped across the tent to ask where he was most needed — in the medical facility or at the scene. Once he received instructions and quickly donned a pair of latex gloves, Beattie ran toward the area where the first bomb exploded on Boylston Street.

“I was running through a cloud of smoke,” Beattie says. “When the smoke cleared, there was a pile of bodies. The first victim I saw was a traumatic amputee. I took my belt off and made a tourniquet.”

While the doctor didn’t learn the fate of the first victim he encountered, the memory of the woman’s deep blue eyes is etched upon his memory. After hearing news reports, Beattie now believes the victim was Krystle Campbell, who grew up in Medford.

“It affected me a lot,” he says. Certain moments are vivid, indelible others feel like a surreal blur. “It still haunts me.”

Understandably, Beattie has had trouble sleeping and was “constantly reliving the scene,” thinking how he “could have done things differently or done more” to assist the victims.

But suppose a white supremacist group had set off a bomb in a mosque with the same number of casualties, would there be any CNN correspondent who would get up on his hind legs in front of a camera and suggest that media coverage was an overreaction?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/cnn-media-overreacted-to-boston-marathon-bombing/

Offline SouthTexas

Re: CNN: media overreacted to Boston Marathon bombing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:50:58 pm »
And these people wonder why their ratings suffer?