Author Topic: Top 5 Battleships of All Time  (Read 505 times)

SPQR

Top 5 Battleships of All Time
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »

Offline PzLdr

Re: Top 5 Battleships of All Time
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »
I might have thrown WARSPITE and SCHARNHORST on the list, as well as U.S.S MONITOR
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
Every Battleship sailor would lay claim that their ship was the greatest, and my dad who was on the U.S.S. Mississippi was no different. She supported the landings in Palau, then Leyte Gulf. Stopped the Japanese in Surigao Straight that largest sea battle ever fought and was hit by suicide planes twice one of those times off Okinawa where even after being damaged heavily she refused to leave her post and turned her guns and  leveled Shuri Castle.   No wonder that the first word he taught us kids to spell was MISSISSIPPI 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
I'm of the opinion that at the time of the RHINE EXERCISE, Gunther Lutjens was burned out. He'd seen more action than any other German Admiral, including commanding SCHARNHORST and GNIESENAU in the Norwegian operation, and leading those two ships on a commerce raid lasting at least two months in length in the early part of 1941 [He went from there to BISMARCK]. He was extremely unhappy with Raeder's over controlling orders [He saw Marschall relieved of command of the SCHARNHORST and GNIESENAU for sinking H.M.S. GLORIOUS instead of going after some troopships].

As for the 'minor hit' by H.M.S PRINCE of WALES [which BISMARCK hammered], BISMARCK lost some 2,000 + tons of fuel oil, and was forced to reduce her fastest speed to 27 knots [instead of 30+]. That was a result of failing to 'top off' in Norway, probably Lutjens greatest error. Lindemann, not Lutjens ordered BISMARCK to return HOOD's fire, since Raeder's orders were being interpreted by Lutjens to forbuid engaging the British ships.

Insofar as the day of her sinking, BISMARCK initially put up a fight, which was not easy to do when he [Lindemann refused to call BISMARCK 'she' or 'her. Her crew were all aware that they were doomed. So the author shouldn't have expected better morale. Lutjens called on his men to die heroically [a la Thermopolye, etc.] because they were all going to die anyway. It was the only card he had to play. And I'm pretty sure he didn't call on his men to die like 'good Nazis'. Take a look at the photos of Hitler inspecting BISMARCK. Lutjens is the only officer offering the military salute. He also went to bat to save Jewish officers in the German Navy.

Lutjens is too much overlooked as a fighting Admiral. He had an extensive record of combat, and success, before his death. 

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf