Author Topic: Cruz: No Regrets Over Shutdown  (Read 847 times)

Offline happyg

Cruz: No Regrets Over Shutdown
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:58 am »
By Andrew Stiles

Senator Ted Cruz (R., Texas) has no regrets about his Defund Obamacare strategy, which many believe precipitated the government shutdown in October.

Asked by ABC’s Jon Karl whether he thought the strategy was, in hindsight, a mistake, Cruz said: “I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown.”

Cruz criticized the media for blaming the shutdown on Republicans, and noted that while the GOP had sought to compromise on multiple occasions with respect to Obamacare funding, the true cause of the shutdown was the fact that “repeatedly Democrats said ‘no compromise, shut it down.’”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KOLylIHcD4Y
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/367153/cruz-no-regrets-over-shutdown-andrew-stiles

Oceander

Re: Cruz: No Regrets Over Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:43:28 am »
Asked by ABC’s Jon Karl whether he thought the strategy was, in hindsight, a mistake, Cruz said: “I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown.”

That, at least, is a good, spirited answer because it was, in fact, the democrats and their refusal to consider any sort of spending resolution that caused the shutdown.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:56:10 am »
Thank you

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:33 am »
It doesn't mean that he brought his 'A' game to the shutdown, but having done so, he shouldn't be afraid to hand out the credit to those who earned it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:04:43 am »
That, at least, is a good, spirited answer because it was, in fact, the democrats and their refusal to consider any sort of spending resolution that caused the shutdown.

It was a trap the Cruz walked into.  The Democrats KNEW they could remain intransigent, and the media and the public would blame the shutdown on the GOP.

Cruz was too stupid to realize it.  He's learned his lesson though and for that we should be grateful.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07:31 am »
It was a trap the Cruz walked into.  The Democrats KNEW they could remain intransigent, and the media and the public would blame the shutdown on the GOP.

Cruz was too stupid to realize it.  He's learned his lesson though and for that we should be grateful.

Fair enough; however, hanging his head in shame or embarrassment would just compound things.  Better to keep your head up and land the punches you can.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:15:15 am »
Fair enough; however, hanging his head in shame or embarrassment would just compound things.  Better to keep your head up and land the punches you can.

He's not hanging his head, but he's not trying to pull the same stunt again.

What gets me is that so many told him it wouldn't work in October, and he didn't listen. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:34:11 am »
Just an chapter in the book of Sen. Ted Cruz. He made himself better known.

He's young, brilliant, inexperienced. He got some experience from this risky plot.

But what he does from now forward is up to him. He could introduce himself to America's growing Hispanic voters, for instance and seek their support.

He could propose a creative approach to immigration reform.

But if he does that he'll piss off his ardent supporters, that want nothing to do with that gambit.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:04 am »
He's not hanging his head, but he's not trying to pull the same stunt again.

What gets me is that so many told him it wouldn't work in October, and he didn't listen.

I don't know sink, I'm conflicted over this.

I have to say that on some level, I got a thrill out of watching the House stand up for something, even if it may have been the wrong something, or maybe something at the wrong time.

And it may very well be that the "stand" PLUS the disastrous roll-out benefited the GOP in greater proportion jointly, than it would have benefited from the roll-out by itself.

The "stand's" benefits may yet pay off in the upcoming midterms, where GOP candidates challenging Democratic incumbents will be able to make the argument that the House did everything in its power to stop the misery that Democrats were so insistent on bringing down on the people of the US, that they were willing to shut down the government rather than stopping the process.

I like Cruz for the same reason that Lincoln liked Grant.

He fights.

He can't however, be POTUS.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx