Author Topic: Great-granddaughter of cereal heiress found stabbed to death on Honduran island  (Read 534 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/28/22085685-great-granddaughter-of-cereal-heiress-found-stabbed-to-death-on-honduran-island?lite

Great-granddaughter of cereal heiress found stabbed to death on Honduran island
By Daniella Silva, NBC News

The great-granddaughter of the heiress to the General Foods cereal fortune was found stabbed to death in her luxury spa on the Central-American island of Roatan, police in Honduras said.

Roatan Police Chief Alex Edgardo Madrid told reporters Friday that Nedenia Post Dye, 46, of Santa Monica, Calif., was found dead on Dec. 22, at her residence in the resort town with multiple stab wounds to the back.

Dye was the great-granddaughter of businesswoman Marjorie Merriweather Post, who inherited the Post Cereal Company empire in the 1910s at age 27. The company would later become the General Foods Corporation, one of the world's largest food companies.

Dye had lived in Honduras for more than 15 years, police said, and was the owner of the luxury Spa Baan Suerte in Sandy Bay, Roatan.

Madrid said police arrested a local musician, Lenin Roberto Arana, and charged him with murder.

Arana, who goes by the stage name "Canario" ("The Canary") was apprehended while trying to flee in Dye’s vehicle, Madrid said.

He added that Arana said the two were romantically involved.

Arana told local reporters he was innocent and said Dye was "like my mother."

“She is like a mother to me,” he said, before bursting into tears.

Dye was helping the musician to get off drugs, according to the Associated Press.

"She was a good woman who worked with young people at risk, drug addicts and alcoholics," Madrid told the news agency.

At a talk last year at her Alma Mater George Washington University, Dye discussed why she had left the United States for Honduras.

"My friend and I had an idea to start a business," she said, according to the report by the university’s alumni publication. "I wanted to go to Asia but she said 'No, Central America is closer. If [the business] fails, we can swim home.'"

Dye also said she had launched an effort to help island children who were talented at soccer financing a project through which the teens are taken in by a team, educated, and trained.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776