Author Topic: Silence of the Lambs: GOP Establishment Remained Neutral on 'Duck Dynasty' Controversy  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/12/27/Silence-on-the-Lambs-Palin-Cruz-Jindal-Had-Duck-Dynasty-Patriarch-s-Back-GOP-Leadership-Didn-t

Silence of the Lambs: GOP Establishment Remained Neutral on 'Duck Dynasty' Controversy

by Tony Lee 28 Dec 2013, 11:45 AM PDT

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Republican Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, and Sen.Ted Cruz (R-TX) emphatically defended Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson from the moment he was suspended by A&E for supposedly anti-gay remarks. The suspension provoked a relentless outpouring of support online, which pressured A&E to reinstate Robertson on Friday. 

Palin, Jindal, and Cruz's support was in contrast to the silence of the Republican establishment, its leadership, and the Republican National Committee. The latter focused instead on Kwanzaa and promoting amnesty, which the Congressional Budget Office determined would lower the wages of working class Americans, many of whom make up the bulk of the Duck Dynasty audience.

Palin took to Twitter on December 18–the night Robertson was suspended–saying A&E had caved to the "'intolerants' hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion." Palin said "free speech is an endangered species," and those "intolerants" are "taking on all of us."

The next morning, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) said, "I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment."

"It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended," Jindal wrote.

Later in the day, Sen.Ted Cruz (R-TX) said Robertson's suspension was an affront to those who value freedom of speech and religion.

"The reason that so many Americans love Duck Dynasty is because it represents the America usually ignored or mocked by liberal elites: a family that loves and cares for each other, believes in God, and speaks openly about their faith," Cruz wrote.

Palin, Cruz, and Jindal were repeatedly mentioned in stories in the mainstream media about Robertson. In contrast, the Republican establishment organizations and D.C. figureheads were ducking for cover and nowhere to be found, reinforcing the suspicions of the "Teavengelical" base that has always suspected that the Republican elite on the coasts and in D.C. disdains them and their "flyover country" values.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In some ways, this is good. This was done by the people, not by political powers. The people need to know the power they have when they stand up. Now to get them to stand up like this for big issues.

Offline sinkspur

Must be a slow weekend, or Tony Lee is OBSESSED with trashing the "GOP Establishment."

What a silly thing to get his panties in a wad over.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Cheers for those with the inclination to keep their heads down, keep their ammo dry and wait to make every dem own Obamacare every day until November elections.

There are plenty of professional entertainers, and every elected official in our faire lands doesn't need to try to be one.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

Cheers for those with the inclination to keep their heads down, keep their ammo dry and wait to make every dem own Obamacare every day until November elections.

There are plenty of professional entertainers, and every elected official in our faire lands doesn't need to try to be one.

That's for sure.

Jindal spoke up because Phil Robertson is a personal friend.

Palin spoke up because......well, she has a book out.

This was never a "free speech" issue.  It was about the marketplace.  A&E knee-jerked by suspending Robertson, thinking his remarks would negatively affect their bottom line.

Turns out they were wrong, they realized they were wrong, and they've backtracked.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:01:21 am by sinkspur »

Offline andy58-in-nh

In some ways, this is good. This was done by the people, not by political powers. The people need to know the power they have when they stand up. Now to get them to stand up like this for big issues.

I agree with you: in some ways, it is good.

It proves that regular people are not yet so cowed by political correctness that they cannot speak out against bullying in the name of loud and powerful interest groups. It proves that ordinary Americans are still willing to defend freedom of speech, even in the face of cultural fascism.

Would that they had a political party whose leaders were equally willing to risk their small careers in the name of liberty.

Cowardice in the pursuit of comity is not a virtue. Bravery in the pursuit of truth is not a vice.

When leadership fails, new leaders arise. Such leaders must be judged as well as the old, for their character, the validity of their beliefs, and for their intentions. But they ought not be mocked at least for the courage to stand up and be heard.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline happyg

goopo I like the way you think and express yourself.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
"When leadership fails, new leaders arise. Such leaders must be judged as well as the old, for their character, the validity of their beliefs, and for their intentions. But they ought not be mocked at least for the courage to stand up and be heard."

This all is a lesson for Congress. "Only this far, and no farther" It is a phrase which has been used historically in America. Those people may have a lock on the Government and voting and the media, but it would be premature to count 'real America' out just yet. I know a lot of really good men who will not be taken down by the weenies in Congress and Hollywood.

The fact that we now see open ridicule and disrespect of Sharpton and Jackson as idiots, along with the public slapdown of the 'gay agenda' signals a pendulum swing away from Liberal bullshit and back to real America.

Being decent and intellectual people, we gave them their shot. In return they gave us the curse of Barack Obama. I don't think gays or Black race pimps or Liberals are bad people, per se, they have simply worn their welcome. They have proven in a very real and stark way, that they do not have the capacity to lead.

They may be nice people, in a vegan, tofu eating way, but they should never be allowed to be in charge. They cannot lead, and they cannot be trusted with my life, or the life of my friends, family, and neighbors.

Liberals are a curiosity, and some are nice, but they should never be put in charge of anything. They will just F--- it up, everytime. You can't live in a dream land and run real world projects. It doesn't work.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

:thumbsup:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Duck Dynasty, like all reality shows is scripted.  As was the controversy.  As was the suspension and the media coverage.  As was the lifting of the suspension.  Its just ratings.  For those who played their scripted roles and made it a national story, thank you for making Gay&E more money.

Offline sinkspur

Duck Dynasty, like all reality shows is scripted.  As was the controversy.  As was the suspension and the media coverage.  As was the lifting of the suspension.  Its just ratings.  For those who played their scripted roles and made it a national story, thank you for making Gay&E more money.

The professional wrestling scenario crossed my mind too.

Oceander

Unless and until someone spills the beans we'll never know for sure.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The only way this could be like prowrestling would be if GLAAD was playing the role of the compliant bitch, who gets slapped down.

Well, on second though, that wouldn't be entirely out of character for them, now would it.

Duck Dynesty said 'to hell with gays', the same as I feel and about hundreds of millions of others believe. No agenda. No subtrefuge.

It is just that 'reality' is so strange these days, people have a hard time understanding it. We do not live in the makebelieve Liberal-land, and it confuses them.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

The only way this could be like prowrestling would be if GLAAD was playing the role of the compliant bitch, who gets slapped down.

Well, on second though, that wouldn't be entirely out of character for them, now would it.

Duck Dynesty said 'to hell with gays', the same as I feel and about hundreds of millions of others believe. No agenda. No subtrefuge.

It is just that 'reality' is so strange these days, people have a hard time understanding it. We do not live in the makebelieve Liberal-land, and it confuses them.

Actually, GLAAD reacts so predictably to things that they could have played the straight man (so to speak) in a wag-the-dog scenario without realizing that they were being played.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You make a good point. but i disagree.

This was an episode of America saying enough is enough. It is one thing to give homosexuals 'equal rights', it is a whole different thing to exalt them as being some kind of perfect person.

The gays and the Blacks have overstepped. It is one thing to be 'equal', but when you start declaring yourself as being 'superior', then you have gone out of bounds.

Liberal gay agenda.
Liberal black agenda.
Liberal muslim agenda.

It is all the same thing. They have a plan, and this is just one step in recognizing it.

No, it was not planned. It was just one White boy American, talking like a White boy American would always talk.

Offline SouthTexas

I have pretty much stayed out of this rumble because I really didn't have a dog in the hunt.  Didn't really watch the show except in passing while flipping channels.

The reality here, my thoughts-political as well as religious, align far more with Phil Robertson than the GOP.  As far as the GOP is concerned, they can join GLAAD and sit and rotate.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

IMO, the GOP acted very professionally here.

Just because Barack Obama has something to say all the time on these national tabloid-type stories, doesn't mean the Republican Party has to follow him.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online kevindavis007

I think the GOP did the right thing by not getting into the best.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

Those agreeing with the GOP are ignoring the other half of the article... The GOP did see fit to send congratulations fir a non existent holiday... Kwanzaa.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Me too.  I don't have a problem with it at all.   Everything doesn't always have to be all-politics-all-the-time. 

This was just another cultural-bullying episode-- brought to you once again by the Gaystapo.       

Offline happyg

Those agreeing with the GOP are ignoring the other half of the article... The GOP did see fit to send congratulations fir a non existent holiday... Kwanzaa.

RNC promoted Kwanzaa, a holiday few celebrate

On 12/26/13, the RNC released this statement:

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus and RNC Co-Chairman Sharon Day released the following statement commemorating Kwanzaa:

“I want to extend my best wishes to all who are celebrating Kwanzaa,” said Chairman Priebus. “For families coming together to mark the occasion, I hope it is a joyous time of celebration with loved ones–and a time of meaningful reflection ahead of the New Year.”

“From December 26 through January 1, many families will take time to celebrate African culture and history. Kwanzaa is a wonderful opportunity for all of us to honor the importance of family and community, and it reminds us of the great diversity in America. Happy Kwanzaa!” said Co-Chairman Day.

The RNC also made this tweet:

RNC        ✔   @GOP 
Follow
Happy Kwanzaa! Wishing those celebrating a joyous time with loved ones and a time of meaningful reflection ahead of the New Year.

3:33 PM - 26 Dec 2013

150 Retweets   48 favorites 
That tweet was the target of derision online via The Wire and also written about by The Root.

As FITSnews points out:

Recent estimates put Kwanzaa participation among blacks at a measly 1.25 percent.  For those of you keeping score at home, that means 39.9 million black families do not celebrate Kwanzaa.  Only 500,000 do.

HardHatters.com is critical of the move by the RNC

Priebus’ announcement may be recognized as the GOP’s newest strategy at embarking “on a year-round effort to engage with African American voters”, but is commemorating Kwanzaa really the best approach? As of the 2010 population, there are roughly 39 million Black Americans living in the United States, yet its estimated that only half a million to two million or just 1%-5% of Black Americans even celebrate Kwanzaa. Surely, there are better ways to reach a larger portion of the Black American population. As one author noted, while Kwanzaa is meant to celebrate African culture, “most African Americans can’t pinpoint [their] African origins and that African culture is vastly diverse.” Urban Daily points that “black people just don’t care about Kwanzaa”, and they note that it is at the wrong time of year and difficult to remember.

The piece above goes on to discuss the origins of Kwanzaa and the background of its founder while further criticizing the RNC. There are much more effective ways to do African-American outreach and I hope the RNC is actually doing those things and not relying too much on a press release sent the day after Christmas that very few people will see or hear about regarding a holiday that very few are actually celebrating.
http://www.quintonreport.com/2013/12/27/rnc-promoted-kwanzaa-a-holiday-few-celebrate/

Offline musiclady

IMO, there was no reason for the RNC to say a word about the controversy.

It wasn't about the government's imposing itself and curtailing free speech, so it wasn't political in that sense.

It was about a network trying to silence the freedom of one of it's most popular stars (while ignoring offenses of others), and in a larger sense about the increasing obstruction of freedom of Christians to state basic beliefs of faith.

It wasn't a GOP matter, and I join those who say it was good that they didn't get involved.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online kevindavis007

It wasn't about the government's imposing itself and curtailing free speech, so it wasn't political in that sense.

It was about a network trying to silence the freedom of one of it's most popular stars (while ignoring offenses of others), and in a larger sense about the increasing obstruction of freedom of Christians to state basic beliefs of faith.

It wasn't a GOP matter, and I join those who say it was good that they didn't get involved.

Had it been the Government doing it, different story.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:19:47 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline SouthTexas

Had it been the Government doing it, different story.

And you think they would have said something?  I highly doubt it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The network didn't try to silence anyone's freedom. The fact that he exercised his freedom, fully and without network interference is what caused the brouhaha to begin with.

In fact, the network was criticized for knowing what Phil said in the interview in advance of it going public and NOT trying to silence him.

Everyone is free to speak their minds, but no one is free from the possible consequences of doing so.

The network executives have equal freedom to terminate contracts at will.

The GOP didn't need to get involved because it had absolutely nothing to do with politics or government.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:48:22 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx