Author Topic: Miller: Obamacare ads make young women look like sluts  (Read 950 times)

rangerrebew

Miller: Obamacare ads make young women look like sluts
« on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »
MILLER: New Obamacare ads make young women look like sluts

By Emily Miller

-

The Washington Times

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

So few people have enrolled in Obamacare that desperate Democrats have stooped to launching a war on women with demeaning and sexist ads.

The latest marketing campaign implies that young women would only be interested in Colorado's government-run health care exchange if they get coverage for birth control pills to have sex with strange men.

The most offensive ad shows a 20-something woman named "Susie" holding a packet of birth control pills with an open-mouth, wide smile. She is wearing a flesh-colored, low-cut, sleeveless top, tight skinny jeans and open-toed black heels.

Susie is leaning against "Nate," who is wearing an untucked shirt with the top four buttons undone to show his hairy chest. He has a smirk on his face and one hand in the pocket of his jeans.

"OMG, he's hot!," Susie is shown saying. "Let's hope he's as easy to get as this birth control. My health insurance covers the pill, which means all I have to worry about is getting him between the covers."

Neither Susie nor Nate is wearing a wedding band. There is an asterisk at the bottom of the ad that says, "The pill doesn't protect you from STDs, condoms and common sense do that."

A second ad showing a young woman holding a pack of birth control pills gives the appearance she is possible drunk and at a party. "Ali" is wearing a black, one shoulder, silky dress, bare arms and legs and high heels. She is leaning against a cutout of actor Ryan Gossling — a takeoff of the popular meme "Hey Girl."

The copy reads from the male actor's point of view: "You're excited about easy access to birth control and I'm excited about getting to know you."

Colorado's Senate Minority Leader Bill Cadman was shocked by the ads.

"I don't think I have ever seen anything more degrading or offensive about women," the Republican leader told me Tuesday. "As a marketing professional, I am trying to understand who they think they are targeting."

Mr. Cadman added that the ads are "as absurd as Obama's non-health-care system." Colorado set up one of the state-run health care exchanges.

The latest ads are part of a marketing campaign from Colorado Consumer Health Initiative and ProgressNow Colorado Education that are a takeoff of the "Got Milk?" ads that instead say "Got Obamacare?" These groups first went after young men with ads showing them doing keg stands and binge drinking.

Liberal groups paying for marketing campaigns to target young people to buy health insurance is to be expected. The whole Obamacare scheme will only work if young, healthy people get into the system so that the government can hand out subsidies to the uninsured.

But treating young women like cheap sluts who don't care about their health or well being other than getting cheap birth control pills to have sex with strange men is offensive. These ads should be taken down.

Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of the book "Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours" (Regnery 2013).

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/12/obamacare-ads-target-young-women-birth-control-pil/#ixzz2os2GoTv7
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Oceander

Re: Miller: Obamacare ads make young women look like sluts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:23:44 pm »
And so many people were outraged because they thought McCain chose Palin as his VP based on stereotypes about women and how/why they vote.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »
And so many people were outraged because they thought McCain chose Palin as his VP based on stereotypes about women and how/why they vote.
Palin's groupies insist she brought votes, due to her "true conservatism." Maybe she did that.

But her looks cannot have hurt he, either.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 07:31:09 pm »
Palin's groupies insist she brought votes, due to her "true conservatism." Maybe she did that.

But her looks cannot have hurt he, either.

I'm not being pro or con Palin - that's a fruitless conversation I don't want to get into - all I'm pointing out is that many moderate to liberal voters were incensed by McCain's choice, not because of her politics, but because they thought he was pandering to them; I heard this from people I know as well as from things said in public.  I just find it interesting that the same people who were outraged because they thought McCain was pandering to them based on stereotypes think it's perfectly fine to pander to women using a much, much more demeaning stereotype.