Author Topic: Video Captures the ‘World’s First High Resolution, HD Video of Earth From Space’  (Read 912 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/28/video-captures-the-worlds-first-high-resolution-hd-video-of-earth-from-space/

Video Captures the ‘World’s First High Resolution, HD Video of Earth From Space’
Dec. 28, 2013 8:35am Oliver Darcy

A company on Friday released what they say is the “world’s first high resolution, HD video of earth from space.”

“A few weeks ago, we shared the first images from SkySat-1, the first of our planned constellation of 24 satellites,” imaging company SkyBox said in a statement posted to their website. “Today, we are excited to share the world’s first commercial, high-resolution, HD video of Earth from space.”

SkyBox imaging released a video Friday that they say is the “world’s first high resolution, HD video of Earth from space. (Image source: Screen grab via YouTube)

“The following montage showcases several of the first videos captured by SkySat-1 since early December and these videos are untuned and not yet calibrated,” the statement continued. “In this video, you will see a selection of views including Tokyo, Bangkok, Baltimore, Las Vegas, and Aleppo, Syria.”

Some users on YouTube appeared torn over what to think of the technology.

“You can run, but you can’t hide,” one user commented.

“Not sure what to think of this,” another wrote.

SkyBox, however, notes that “the resolution is high enough to observe objects that impact the global economy like shipping containers, but not close enough to view or identify human activity.”

The company further says there is “an immense amount of knowledge” businesses or individuals can attain from “analyzing movement.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrB1t8MncY
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I was reading recently that we have imaged the most distant and most brilliant object we have ever seen.  It is a Quasar some 1.3 billion light years away...right out at the very edge of "known space" but it is much further away than is apparent because it is also traveling away from us at 40% of the speed of light, and that distorts things in all kinds of ways.  The point is that the light we can see today via Hubble took over 1.3 billion years to get here...

In late 2012 researchers using Hubble, Kepler and other orbital instruments have been able to finally trace the development of the Crab Nebula all the way back to the year 1050 when Chinese astronomers recorded seeing a "guest star" that lasted two weeks and was visible during the day.  That "guest star" was the super nova explosion of the star that created the crab nebula, and created a super massive black hole in the center.  The existence of black holes was not even formally proposed until 1971, and the things we know now about these objects stagger the mind.  But the light those ancient Chinese first saw in 1050 was 2500 years old by the time it got here.

It amazed me that we are only just a century past the Wright Brothers, and I wonder where we will be in another century or three. 

Oceander

I was reading recently that we have imaged the most distant and most brilliant object we have ever seen.  It is a Quasar some 1.3 billion light years away...right out at the very edge of "known space" but it is much further away than is apparent because it is also traveling away from us at 40% of the speed of light, and that distorts things in all kinds of ways.  The point is that the light we can see today via Hubble took over 1.3 billion years to get here...

In late 2012 researchers using Hubble, Kepler and other orbital instruments have been able to finally trace the development of the Crab Nebula all the way back to the year 1050 when Chinese astronomers recorded seeing a "guest star" that lasted two weeks and was visible during the day.  That "guest star" was the super nova explosion of the star that created the crab nebula, and created a super massive black hole in the center.  The existence of black holes was not even formally proposed until 1971, and the things we know now about these objects stagger the mind.  But the light those ancient Chinese first saw in 1050 was 2500 years old by the time it got here.

It amazed me that we are only just a century past the Wright Brothers, and I wonder where we will be in another century or three. 

It is truly amazing.  I only wish I could still be around in another century or three to appreciate where we manage to get to.

Offline WAYNE

Awesome ..