Author Topic: Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up  (Read 309 times)

Offline flowers

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »
How far up does a "pull up" go?  The only ones I'm familiar with are essentially the same as chin-ups, but with the palms reversed.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
A lot of good Marines and soldiers are going to die because of this.  Few women have the physical stamina for infantry combat.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
How far up does a "pull up" go?  The only ones I'm familiar with are essentially the same as chin-ups, but with the palms reversed.

Pull up - palms face the body. Chin up, palms face away from the body. A flexed arm hang is basically a chin up that is held as long as possible. Otherwise they are identical.

Seems odd, because pull ups tend to be easier than chin ups - a lot less strain on the wrists.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
Pull up - palms face the body. Chin up, palms face away from the body. A flexed arm hang is basically a chin up that is held as long as possible. Otherwise they are identical.

Seems odd, because pull ups tend to be easier than chin ups - a lot less strain on the wrists.

That's funny, because as I always had it, chin-ups were with the palms facing the body and pull-ups with the palms facing away from the body.  It would seem from the wiki article on chin ups that the terminology is somewhat imprecise and can be used both your way as well as mine.

According to that same article, however, the Marines use the term "pull up" to refer to either interchangeably, so that still leaves me at sea about just exactly what a "pull up" means in this context.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf