Author Topic: Can tear-jerkers turn you liberal? As Good As It Gets and The Rainmaker make you soppy, says study  (Read 767 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

This is not good news given the leftward tilt of Hollywood. How many Americans, especially young Americans, know "history" based on the bs shoveled out by the movies?

Sentimental films make you more liberal, research suggests.

Political scientists found that Hollywood movies are better able to change attitudes – in a left-wing direction – than advertising or news reports.

Todd Adkins, of the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, said audiences seemed to turn off their critical faculties when they reach the cinema.

'Viewers come expecting to be entertained and are not prepared to encounter and evaluate political messages as they would during campaign advertisements or network news,’ he said.

Dr Adkins’ research, published in the journal Social Science Quarterly, was based on a study of 268 students who were asked about their political views, shown a film and then questioned again.

Half identified themselves as politically conservative.

The researchers noted a leftward shift in attitudes after the participants saw a film with a liberal message.

The movies were As Good As It Gets with Jack Nicholson and The Rainmaker with Matt Damon.

It emerged this week that the FBI considered It’s a Wonderful Life to be sympathetic to communism when it came out in 1946.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530224/Can-tear-jerkers-turn-liberal-As-Good-As-It-Gets-The-Rainmaker-make-soppy-says-study.html

That last about "It's a Wonderful Life" escapes me unless it means mean old banker Potter represented your typical heartless capitalist.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline NavyCanDo

When I think of tear jerkers  As Good As It Gets and The Rainmaker are not movies that come to mind.    The tear jerker among all tear jerkers had to be Hachi-A Dogs Tail.  And compassion for a family pet has nothing to do with politics. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

When I think of tear jerkers  As Good As It Gets and The Rainmaker are not movies that come to mind.    The tear jerker among all tear jerkers had to be Hachi-A Dogs Tail.  And compassion for a family pet has nothing to do with politics.

I sobbed in that movie. I cannot watch movies where animals die. 

BTW I cried so hard in Titanic that I had no makeup left when we left the theater.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
What about Winnie the Pooh?  I always cry at the end when Christopher Robin has to say goodbye.  Does that mean I'm a liberal?