Author Topic: Scenic Mexico coastal highway collapses after rain, small earthquakes: reports  (Read 662 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via NBC: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/29/22094081-scenic-mexico-coastal-highway-collapses-after-rain-small-earthquakes-reports

A 300-yard section of scenic highway near the U.S. border collapsed Saturday, sinking up to 300 feet and forcing the closure of the route, according to reports.

Mexico’s federal highway authority says the collapse occurred about 58 miles south of the border city of Tijuana, according to The Associated Press. The road leads to the port city of Ensenada, on the Baja California peninsula.

The agency said it came after several earlier small earthquakes, ranging in magnitude from 1.3 to 4.3, combined with recent heavy rainfall, the AP reported.

The road had already seen evidence of fractures and sinking in recent days, according to a San Diego Union-Tribune report which said the small fractures suddenly turned into enormous cracks on the cliffside in the early hours of Saturday, plunging the highway deeper and toward the sea, with some parts caving almost 300 feet.

More at link. The pictures are rather spectacular.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SouthTexas

Hopefully the rain stays on the west side, brother in law is taking all of his family to Cancun this week.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Back in the early-mid 80s I rode that highway twice in 50 mile bicycle races.

There are two routes from Rosarito to Ensenada. This one is known as the "old road" or coastal route, and the new road, or inland route.

Very scenic, indeed. But after the 2nd time, I quit going to Mexico entirely, and won't ever go back, unless dramatic changes come about.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln