Author Topic: ‘Play Dates, Life Mates’: eHarmony for Kids goes nationwide  (Read 760 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
‘Play Dates, Life Mates’: eHarmony for Kids goes nationwide
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »
‘Play Dates, Life Mates’: eHarmony for Kids goes nationwide

PASADENA — Four years ago, match site eHarmony quietly launched a new initiative, eHarmony4Kids, to help parents find mates for their children. The new program, whose tagline is “Play Dates, Life Mates. eHarmony for Kids,” has worked so well that the company is rolling it out nationally this year.

“People want to steer their kids toward compatible potential life partners at an early age,” says an eHarmony spokesman. “Core beliefs are in place at a young age so we can help them do that.”

Parents in Nashville, Seattle, Sacramento and Boston were secretly invited to participate in the field testing. They had their kids, ages 5 to 17, take the online personality test. Then eHarmony matched them up with other kids they deemed compatible.

The parents did not tell the kids what was happening but encouraged email friendships, play dates and online chatting.

“We told her it was like having a pen pal,” says one mother whose daughter was 8 when she joined the test program.

more at: http://www.larknews.com/archives/653

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: ‘Play Dates, Life Mates’: eHarmony for Kids goes nationwide
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »
That's just creepy.  I wouldn't want my kid "matching up" with someone on the Internet.  Aren't we trying to teach kids that could be dangerous?  Are younger people so socially crippled that they can't make friends the old-fashioned way?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »
The story is from what appears to be a humor site.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »
The story is from what appears to be a humor site.

I sure hope it's parody, but the sad thing is that it is so believable these days. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 03:01:52 pm »
I sure hope it's parody, but the sad thing is that it is so believable these days.

Geesh.....had me fooled!  Sorry!    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »
Like Alice said, it's hard to tell anymore!   :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org